Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing With the Stars Season 18

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Steve Pastor, Feb 14, 2014.

1. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I cannot BELIEEEEEEVE it. Charlie should have won this.

2. I am soooo ticked off by these results and by the judges this season. I have not looked at DWTS as a serious dance show for a long time now but this season, yes, they have gone beyond stupid, as Wannabee said. I cannot believe that Candace is in the finale but not Charlie! It is beyond ridiculous and I partly blame the judges. They overscored some contestants but were constantly nitpicking on Charlie and Merryl and underscoring them in comparison.

3. LOL! Most salsa dances on DWTS have been train wrecks but this season the so called salsa dances had no resemblance to salsa anymore. Neither the producers nor the pros nor the judges seem to have any clue about what salsa is (no, you do not have to "go down dirty"!). What they do is hip hop, freestyle party moves and booty shaking to hip hop or party music (by Pitbull most of the time, last week by Ricky Martin). What they did this season had nothing to do with salsa whatsoever. Who would have thought it was supposed to be salsa if they had not announced it as such...

debmc likes this.
  4. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it yet. But, if Charlie is off the show, I'm done watching. :mad:

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

All the skating fans threw their votes to Meryl because she was so badly underscored. Plus the Maks fans are power voting for them. Honestly, I want Meryl and Maks to win--she's been the best all along (which I don't think anyone would have predicted--where this personality came from...) and if Amy wins as it seems like they want it'll be a total joke.

slhull.13 likes this.
  6. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

I too have given up on this show being at all serious, but this is just outrageous. It should have been Charlie and Meryl in the top two and whoever won out of the two of them was fine. The show has jumped the shark, big time.

7. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I knew as soon as Candace was "safe" that a poop-storm was imminent.

edit to add: and I am SO over the mind-games they play with who is or isn't in jeopardy, when at the end they always say "While not necessarily in the Bottom Two, one couple is going home...." I would gather that Candace or James were actually in the bottom, not Meryl.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  8. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Haven't watched all of it yet, but yeah, that is ridiculous that Charlie is gone but Candace is still there. I'm not always the most perceptive person when watching these performances, but even I could tell that quickstep was a trainwreck after she "went wrong" the first time - it was all over her face and body language. I don't think the praise for soldiering on was deserved - it look to me like she barely made it through the remainder of the dance. Sorry, but that's unacceptable for semi-finals/finals.

theAnnelis and nikkitta like this.
  9. nikkitta

Right? "Oh, you screwed up noticeably and it showed in your face. I'll give you a 9 anyway." versus "You were missing some unexplainable element that I think you should have in that dance, so I'm docking 2 points."

WTH.

IndyLady likes this.
  10. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

At least this means that Charlie and Meryl's fans won't be splitting their votes in the finals.

*muttermuttermutter*

11. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

also, bored curiosity drove me over to the pure dwts website...where I quickly realized that the vast majority of users on that site are rabid derek hough fans and are out for blood for the finale.

12. nikkitta

And unfortunately you can't disrespect Derek's partner Amy without feeling like a complete jerk. Not to ignore her incredible abilities, but the judges ARE giving her a pass more than the others.

dancelvr likes this.
  13. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I think that's how Charlie got eliminated...can't risk anyone out-voting the Princess.

No, that's not it. I frequent that site. They're just sickened by the blatant manipulation on the show. And ever since the season 15 finale, I have been also. I usually can start out the show objective (I actually didn't like Amy at first and was all about the Meryl), but as time goes on...well...people show their knat.

14. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

No, they really are. FSU sort of banned mentioning That Site by name because it attracts their attention and it's not positive attention if you aren't a Derek fan. Their mods will in fact ban anyone who might imply Maks or Val should at any point ever beat Derek.

I'm over Amy. Yeah, yeah, inspirational, whatever. (Heather Mills and Marlee Matlin wish they'd been given so much credit for effort over results...) First she lost me with the crying thing. I don't care about your emotional issues. And she doesn't even do what she could do (arms, back, etc.) well. But they slobber over her and Derek. Though it was pretty clear they were just going to give her a pass straight to the finals. The real question is why is James still there? Candace, okay, I get she has a huge Evangelical fanbase, even if her dancing's awful, plus she's with Mark. James must be purely coasting on pretty.

Wannabee and dancelvr like this.
  15. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

I know this has been hashed over before, but I think Derek is hugely talented, Amy has been impressive, and he's done amazing things with making her look as good as possible.
    HOWEVER the judges and TPTB have gone gaga off a cliff for them at the expense of dancers who were delivering better performances (ie Charlie. I'll even throw Danica in there, but mostly Charlie)

Actually, I'm hugely heartbroken about Charlie.

16. nikkitta

yeah, I hear ya. Charlie was great to watch, and not annoying.

And I say give *everyone* the option of Springy Feet for Quickstep!
    In a way the show is already glossing over the footwear issue, with all the low heels and sneakers or bare feet that have become more prevalent.

Lioness, dancelvr and IndyLady like this.
  17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Hah! Then I want to compete in my comfortable practice shoes, instead of those ridiculous, hard to keep clean, court shoes. Or better still, I'll waltz in bare feet.

Let's see how far that goes. :eek:

18. nikkitta

Yeah, argue with the comp judges: "But.... they do it on Dancing With The Stars!"

19. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Charlie should not have gone home! Wrong, wrong,wrong!!!

20. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

FSU banned a DWTS fan site? HAAAA! That's hilarious. I don't think it's that serious. There are plenty of people that are not Derek fans, or like whatever other dancers better than Derek for whatever reason. They are a little overzealous at times, but really only block the people who don't know how to write or are disrespectful to the dancers or other posters. (I say that because I've seen some removed posts pre-moderation.)

Moving on to last week's results, I was devastated - I was rooting for Charlie to win this season.

This next week should be interesting. Meryl has the people in charge behind her, James is, as danceronice said, coasting on pretty (though I think he's a pretty good dancer too, even though I'm not Peta's biggest fan), Candace is cool too though I'm very surprised she's still there, and I love watching Amy. Now that Charlie's gone, my votes are all going to her. But it could be anyone's game at this point. I guess we'll see.