Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing With the Stars Season 18

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Steve Pastor, Feb 14, 2014.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

They had to-it's a google thing. Pure can google their name, see the FSU threads...

I haven't voted all season, but I'll vote for Meryl the last week.

2. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

That's actually what I'm a little afraid of--with Charlie gone, I've been hearing that people are going to send their votes over to Amy, believing that Meryl is going to win anyway...and lo and behold, Amy will take home the MBT.
    I'm voting for Meryl because she's adorable and I think she is delivering the best performances out of all the competitors who are left.

3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Mark may be out with an injury... and don't get me wrong, I feel terrible about that. But no doubt we'll be subjected to Candace's "boo hoo, what am I gonna do". Suck it up and dance with another pro if you have to, that's what.

4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Interesting to see how much the pros want to win DWTS. They seem to value the trophy as highly as they value their achievements in their professional lives. Maxs seems very intense about wanting to win.

5. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Loved Amy and Derek's salsa! Nice blend of salsa with tricks! She really is very good!

6. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

My 11-year-old on Peta's costume:

CHILD: It's too sexy. It is before the watershed!

ME: How do you know about "the watershed"?

CHILD: I watch Ellen. She talks about these things.

But otherwise...cool routine!

7. nikkitta

stupid DIAPER PANTS on Maks. What the French Toast?!? :mad:

Lioness, theAnnelis and IndyLady like this.
  8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Obviously Meryl is the best dancer...because she came to the show already a dancer. I love her dancing but she was good from the beginning and still good now. I can't say I've seen a dramatic improvement...she was always excellent! James, Peta and Amy on the other hand have shown a clear improvement from when they first started...and that is what I appreciate the most on DWTS. I'm torn..because Meryl is the best, but the others have improved so much, and Meryl had such a huge advantage going in. Her freestyle routine perfectly showcased all the things she can do with her athleticism, grace, performance and control...all things she had and brought her Olympic Gold!

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  9. kckc

kckc Active Member

Not liking Derek and Amy freestyle. More lifts and props and even less dancing than usual.

10. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I am totally confused by the rules for this season. There are "no lifts" except in freestyle and Argentine tango, but anyone can have back-up dancers at any time? Could anyone have had this aerial rope thing at any time, or was that for the finale only?

What other things might a choreographer be allowed to introduce in the 11th hour? Would dragging Oprah onto the floor to dance alongside Amy have been kosher? How about incorporate Candace's kids into the number? I mean, both those things seem wrong to me and not in keeping with the show, but then again...aerial rope. Back-up dancers.

11. nikkitta

not happy.

12. davedove

davedove Well-Known Member

Thank you!!! I was thinking the same thing. And the thing is, she CAN dance. She did fine in her salsa and in her quickstep last week. Don't get me wrong, I liked the performance, but Amy danced maybe a few steps. Other than that, she was being lifted by Derek or she was spinning on a rope.

I appreciated Mel's freestyle much more, just as I've liked previous "stripped down" freestyles, just the couple dancing with no props or backup dancers.

I'm a little surprised to see James leave instead of Candace, but I figured it would be one of them.

13. danceronice

I STILL loathe contemporary style stuff, but I will admit Maks and Meryl were expressive and made it look effortless. Now please put on a shirt.

I figured it would be James because Candace has a ginormous fan base.

Maks deserves it--of course Meryl's the best. She was (for the thousandth time) not a ballroom dancer before she started, though she's obviously more coordinated and expressive (though HOW expressive and emotive has stunned everyone in skating and even converted a few V/M diehards who called Meryl and Charlie technical robots) than the others. And given that "it's about the journey, not who's the best" never applied when Derek got the best dancer (ie Nicole, the full-time professional) it seems hypocritical to start caring about that now....Meryl's done the best dancing, had the best routines, and apparently has a personality and/or acting abilities no one could have foreseen. The skating money was on Charlie as more likable and identifiable and better able to connect with the audience.

14. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

should be interesting tonight! I think it appears the judges want Meryl/Maks to win but who knows what America is going to think.

15. danceronice

Well, I think LEN wants them to win I'm not sure Bruno and reality live in the same zip code so I'm not sure if he wants anything other than an excuse to make really suggestive analogies. And Carrie Anne apparently just wants Meryl and Maks to get married and make beautiful dancing babies, who cares about a mirror ball. I really begin to think Carrie Anne is either very hormonal or very insane.

*I* want Maks and Sharna to do a Ballroom and Skating show with Meryl and Charlie...someone at Goldenskate apparently contacted Disson to suggest a skating and ballroom theme show and the producers there apparently said "We're a step ahead of you", so fingers crossed....

Lioness and Purr like this.
  16. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I don't discount the possibility that Bruno and Carrie Anne simply play insane people on TV. Seriously though, I do think the producers influence the heights of inanity the judges reach, even if they have plenty to work with.

danceronice likes this.
  17. kckc

kckc Active Member

I didn't have much if any exposure to Meryl before the Olympics, and watching them skate, your term "technical robots" was very accurate. Count me among those who are shocked at her ability to emote.

Can't wait to see Meryl and Charlie dance together tonight!

18. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

So I was at a comp this weekend, and one of the pro shows was a contemporary number... my heart sank.

19. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

[quote="danceronice, post: 1039720, member: 13711"

Maks deserves it--of course Meryl's the best. She was (for the thousandth time) not a ballroom dancer before she started, though she's obviously more coordinated and expressive.[/quote]

“Our typical training week is Monday through Friday. We are on the ice from 7am until noon or 1pm with a half hour break somewhere. Then, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, we work out at the gym for an hour and a half. On Tuesday and Thursday, we will supplement our training with ballet or ballroom classes. So we keep pretty busy,” states Meryl.

Found this quote from one of her many interviews about training for ice dancing. Don't get me wrong....she is fabulous and my favorite....but also very well trained in dance before DWTS. As SYTYCD shows...if you are a phenomenally trained dancer, you can dance in other styles very well, or at least better than your non dance experience competition!

Read more at http://www.accesshollywood.com/mery...y-hollywood_article_88012#9HBSBqT8MyCw3aeY.99

theAnnelis likes this.
  20. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Just watched their fusion dance...I actually think Meryl is much better at ballroom than latin. Her legs aren't as good in latin...still the judges gave them perfect 10s.