Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing with the Stars - Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Porfirio Landeros, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Previous Dancing With the Stars Discussions
    Preshow and Week 1 Discussion
    Week 1 Poll
    Week 2 Discussion
    Week 2 Poll
    Week 3
    Week 4
    Week 5
    Finale

Soundtrack
    Judges & Contestants
    In the News
    Music
    Sold Out
    Free Tickets

Hey All, I thought it might be cool to create a compilation of the season's songs for a soundtrack, since you can find this music at various legal sources as performed by the original artists.

Week 1:

Cha Cha
    Respect - Aretha Franklin
    September - Earth, Wind & Fire
    Crazy in Love - Beyonce

Waltz
    Come Away with Me - Nora Jones
    Three Times a Lady - Lionel Richie / Commodores
    I Have Nothing - Whitney Houston

2. flyingwolf

flyingwolf New Member

It will be really hard to dance to some of those 'original' ones, since they were not arranged for dancing...

3. Porfirio Landeros

At least 4 out of 6 of those I could dance to out-of-the-box. The only two I would question are Beyonce's, which technically is still a good/funky cha-cha, but the hardest one would be Whitney's, as it is more a Viennese tempo. Some pitch adjusting would be all that is necessary.

4. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

I like this idea.... Maybe ABC will packagese in a spiffy box and try to sell it to us? ::ducks::

5. flyingwolf

flyingwolf New Member

I wouldn't be suprised. I have the album from the first season of BBC's 'Strictly Come Dancing'

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The ABC version would probably be the TV version, and I have to say I'd strongly prefer music by the original artists. Yes, it's nice to have contemporary music for dancing, but the music on TV sounded a little elevator-ish to me. No offense to the people who said they liked it. At least it is contemporary music. I just think the original artists' songs have more ... spice.

7. Medira

Medira New Member

I agree with this. I think the originals are far better than the TV version. I think it was a good idea to go with more contemporary music for the show, simply because it would appleal to a wider variety of people...and, let's face it, the network wants it to appeal to the mass market.

8. pygmalion

I guess I should also say that, if there is a soundtrack, I will buy it to support the cause, elevator music or no. 8)

9. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

I watched clips of the show, and with 4 out of the six songs thought "why are they dancing that, the song is a West Coast"

10. pygmalion

To a WCS dancer, almost everything in 4/4 is a West Coast. :p :lol: :lol:

11. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Yea, that and I head the first four songs listed all the time at dances and events. And I really don't like Crazy in Love. But I LOVE September.

12. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I LOVE September, too, but hate to see a great song like that get hacked so badly. Sorry, I guess I'm a purist; and nobody does it quite like EW&F!

13. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Very true, somethings should not be touched.

Strange versions of September are wrong. Not as wrong as Kenny G dubbing over Louis Armstrong (Wonderful World), but still very wrong.

14. Ashley

Ashley New Member

flyingwolf--where did you buy your soundtrack to the BBC's show? I live in the US, so if it's from a local shop, I won't be able to buy it there. ;)

15. Porfirio Landeros

Week 2:

Rumba
    I Don't Want to Miss a Thing - Aerosmith
    Endless Love - Lionel Richie / Diana Ross
    Hero - Enrique Iglesias

Quickstep
    You're The One That I Want - Grease Soundtrack, John Travolta / Olivia Newton-John
    Let's Face the Music And Dance - Fred Astaire (Various Others)
    It Don't Mean a Thing (If You Ain't Got That Swing) - Tommy Burgos and His Swing Shift Orchestra (Various Others)

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

FTFY. ;)

17. pygmalion

ROTFL! True. True. :lol: :lol:

18. Medira

Medira New Member

I haven't been overly impressed with the house band, but I would probably buy a show soundtrack if it's released, simply to support the show. Hearing a non-Earth, Wind and Fire version of September was just wrong though! *sigh*

19. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Only because it's the best dance ever! :rocker:

Now that's what they should have on TV, some WCS. It would be much more appealing and tons of guys would come out to learn it after the show. I mean, hello, boobie tops on the girls. Westies know how to dress... :raisebro:

20. Porfirio Landeros

All that was missing was the Disneyland "Key-Tar".