Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing With The Stars -- Week 2 (Vote)

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Porfirio Landeros, Jun 8, 2005.

?

Who was your week 2 favorite?

1. Jonathan Roberts and Rachel Hunter - Rumba

100.0%
  2. Joey McIntyre and Ashly DelGrosso - Quickstep

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Evander Holyfield and Edyta Sliwinska - Quickstep

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. John O'Hurley and Charlotte Jorgensen - Quickstep

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Alec Mazo and Kelly Monaco - Rumba

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

Gosh, I missed it again!

2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

They should allow peope to vote for the couple they want eliminated...

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I think I'd like that better myself as well. Hmm...

4. new-ish

new-ish New Member

The big disappointment for me last night was not knowing how the public vote went.

I would guess Louis' arrogant attitude hurt them in the public vote. It's hard to support that unless you really show yourself to be THAT much better.

On the second show, I was amazed that all the guys did so well on Quickstep. That is one hard dance.

Anyway, I loooove this show. I hope that someone who knows how the TV networks decide these things will tell us what viewers can do to make sure there are more seasons.

5. Katarzyna

All people have to do is watch it... In the couple 1000s of Nelsen tracked homes...that determine the ad spending for the TV in the US
    :? :? :?

I wish they were more clear on the voting process too.. maybe next time...

6. Katarzyna

:twisted:

7. aimerrouge

aimerrouge New Member

I was surprised at the ratings this show is getting. I thought I would be the only one watching.

John and Charlotte are wonderful. What I really loved about their performance is that they danced "pretty." Splits, death drops, neckdrops, etc. are nice, but they aren't required to dance beautifully. I think a lot of people forget that. I hope they win.

Joey looks like he's having fun.

Evander has feet of clay.

Kelly has a hot body. That alone will keep her in competition. Unfortunately, her dancing (though she greatly improved this week) leaves much to be desired.

I was amused and surprised Trista (the former Miami Heat "dancer" ) was uncomfortable with the Rhumba.

Rachel, I think her dancing is missing something, I'm not sure what.

8. tacad

tacad New Member

Cool! :banana:

9. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

I have to admit I really enjoyed John O Hurley's and Charlotte's quickstep, and I don't even LIKE quickstep at all. He really rose up to the challenge admirably, plus he has so much natural personality and wit anyway!

Definitely enjoyed ALL the rhumba routines, though Kelly's was the weakest of the 3, comparatively speaking. Watching Evander Hollyfield quickstep was painful though, it just seemed like an ill-fit for him (I hear he fared way better with cha-cha though).

I have to admit, this is very entertaining to watch, especially seeing people who have NEVER done ballroom or latin or dancing of ANY type rise up to challenging material. If anything, I hope it would encourage people to try it themselves.

10. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

You asked in the other thread what was wrong with Joey. It's his posture (as all three judges noted). It's really clear to a ballroom audience, but it might not be to the general public. It appears to me that he is nervous about stepping on his partner (common for new leaders in the standard dances). He tries to avoid it by sticking out his butt. Then he has to cave his chest forward to keep his balance, and he starts dropping his shoulders and armline. This was exacerbated by the fact that the choreography was too difficult for him. (Part of why John's dancing with Charlotte was so nice was that she picked stuff that he could do - a nice, swinging quickstep with just enough bounce to keep it in character.)

The sad thing is that most of the "instinctive" responses to the fear of stepping on your partner (like Joey's butt, or the also-common shuffling of the feet), actually make things worse, not better. With a good teacher and a little more time, I think he could be quite good. (Not saying that his current partner isn't a good teacher, but some people take longer than others to train their reflexes.)

I think the costuming he used was at least partly designed to camouflage the butt problem, and it worked fairly well - you wouldn't notice it unless you knew a little about what you were looking for. But all the judges caught it immediately.

11. Infosaturated

Infosaturated New Member

Thanks for the information Elizabeth. I have the show taped and will watch it again with your comments in mind.

12. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Check out the threads on this forum on the first round. Krista and Louis did the worst in last week's poll, for reasons that can be found in those threads. There's also a link to videos if you want to see for yourself.

I haven't seen this week's shows, but I have to say that Evander was probably the best natural dancer among the men last week - he was lighter on his feet, and obviously felt the music. Unfortunately, he didn't feel the music in the accepted ballroom Latin way. It would be interesting to know what the nonballroom swing community felt about it, since they more sensitive to backbeats and less focused on the downbeat than ballroom dancers are.

13. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I agree, Warren. Evander definitely felt the music, last week. This week, it seems he felt out of place. Making the leap from one type of music to another isn't easy. Maybe he's having trouble with the transition. *shrug*

I'm not suggesting that he should be held to a lower standard in this competition, but I saw a pretty good freestyle dancer last week, bad footwork notwithstanding. I bet he can "throw down" in a club. 8) (Sorry. The slang just popped out. :lol: :lol: ) It takes a long time, I think, to connect a club dancer to ballroom music. But if he sticks to ballroom long enough (a big if,) look out! :wink: :lol:

14. Medira

Medira New Member

I think the biggest difference between last week and this week is the fact that Evander looked like he was having fun last week. This week, he looked like we was suffering from one heck of a painful brain cramp (which could have very well been the case). I completely agree though, he can do it. He will probably just need a little more time to get there.

15. Stiletto One

Stiletto One New Member

I think Kelly's dancing is getting there, and fast.

And as far as Rumba went, Kelly and Alec's rumba looked/felt the most like Rumba; the other two routines, I was like "wtf, that looks like cha cha" they were so snappy.

Anyway, I have no worries about John making it, so I'll be voting Kelly unless she does something incredibly bad. That, and I feel like she keeps getting unfairly gutted by the judges. (What's with the scores, anyway?)

16. Laura

Laura New Member

I watched this week's episode in person and I would not say that Kelly is being unfairly gutted by the judges. She can't move her legs and has bad balance. That said, she did a good job of writhing. It was really funny to hear Louis van Amstel's mom sitting next to me going "That's not Latin dancing!!!" during her routine.

Kelly will stay in a while because she has a gazillion fans from both her soap opera and Playboy days. And that it was it is...I just hope she keeps showing the improvement from week to week that she did between the waltz and rumba. At that rate, she'll be acceptable by the final. And no matter what I think of her dancing now, I certainly agree that she's the "most improved" and if her fans keep her in long enough to give her a chance to show even more improvement, then that's not a bad thing in the end.

Infosaturated comment about Alec Mazo's preceived lack of experience. Alec has been teaching for some time now, although he only recently became a Pro. This is because US Amateurs at a certain level are allowed to teach. He trains a gaggle of very talented and accomplished Latin dancers in San Francisco. The thing with Alec, though, is that he's teaching youths who are already paired up, and also group classes for kids. He's not teaching adults, and has never done Pro/Am. I think he's a great looking guy, and man can he dance, and the kids he trains are all awesome. He's got a lot of experience (multi-time US amateur Latin finalist), so it's not like he's just some green rising star going up against the likes of Jonathan Roberts.

17. Infosaturated

Infosaturated New Member

Oh absolutely, I realize he is a the prestigious level in ballroom dancing, but, would Johnathan Louis and Alec be likely to find themselves in the same level and style of competition any time soon?

I guess what I am saying is that it would be not only like trying to compare apples and oranges, but apple and oranges of different strains.

How about Charlotte, Edyta and Ashly?

As an ordinary person that knows nothing about ballroom beyond old movies, every single pro is an equally amazing dancer for different reasons, and no way am I knowledgable to rate male dancers against female dancers. Even so, it is clear that they all bring very different skills to the teaching or coaching process and not everyone is a good teacher.

Louis is an awesome dancer and I think the clips making him look self-centered were unfair and taken out of context. His expertise on the dancefloor was self-evident even to someone who doesn't know anything. But does that make him a good teacher for someone like Trista?

I read somewhere that Louis trains Alec and Edyta but that is entirely different from working with someone who's background is cheerleading not ballroom isn't it?

That's what I meant in pointing out the differences between the pro's backgrounds.

18. Laura

Laura New Member

Well, Louis doesn't have a pro partner right now, but he is a former world champion so that automatical vaults him to the top of the heap. As far as Jonathan and Alec's competitive results go, you need only look to the results of the recent San Francisco Open in April:

As far as Charlotte, Edyta, and Ashly goes, Charlotte has far more experience teaching and dancing standard and winning huge competitions than either of the other two do. In fact, I don't think either Edyta nor Ashly have ever done pro Standard competitions.

This is very very true, and as you point out there are all kinds of teaching. Louis is an amazing teacher, yet I doubt he ever works with anyone like Trista.

19. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Looks like John O'Hurley is safe this week (based on our poll here). I'm sure Kelly will get a bunch of fan votes again, so I wonder if this means Evander/Edyta should worry?

20. Laura

Laura New Member

I'm thinking the bottom two will be Jonathan & Rachel and Evander & Edyta. The rabid fans at the ABC board love Kelly and hate Rachel because they're comparing women to women and just spaz out whenever anyone tries to explain how and why Rachel is a better dancer. Also, Alec being hotter than Jonathan will help Kelly.

I think that Evander & Edyta should go if you look at this from a dance sense, but I would not be suprised if Evander has received enough sympathy votes to keep him in -- especially since the consensus is that Edyta is hot -- people might vote for them just so they can look at her for another week. Sad to say, but I'm afraid Jonathan & Rachel will be going home this week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.