Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing With the Stars--Week 2

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by TemptressToo, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I certainly hope so. Back to back will be a nice way to watch the two episodes. 8)

2. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Laura, where can I look for you? I want to grab a screen capture of you :)

Here's me in the meantime, from the first episode:

[​IMG]

Now I can say I have a photo of me with Kelly Monaco ;)

3. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

I'm daring to speak up in here.... slight trepidation as I am NOT a ballroom dancer, mainly a latin "street" dancer and because of how many posts this show is receiving! However, I am really enjoying it!

John and Charlotta are by far the best and most fun to watch. Dancing is dancing, but I get a bit uncomfortable watching how touchy she is with him. I'm not a big fan of outright PDA and he's married. I was wondering if some of his facials after the dance were his discomfort with her attention rather than just being exhausted. Is it necessary to do in the 3 minutes when you know the camera is on closeup? If she, he, and his wife are all comfortable with it... I'm not judging... it just doesn't seem necessary.

Evander and Edyta.... I really enjoyed watching Evander cha cha but was very disappointed this week. I don't want him to leave, but this wasn't a great showing.

Joey and Ashly... I like watching her a lot more than him. I'm glad to know now that the producers choose the music because I thought the Grease interpretation was very contrived.

Kelly and Alec.... I would never wear that, but she certainly has the body to pull it off. I thought she was trying a bit too hard to prove she has chutzpa... there was sexual energy in their dance. They would be my next vote off.

Rachel and Jonathan.... I didn't really like her the first week and I think that prejudiced me this week. I wasn't that impressed with their difficult moves, but I've never tried some of them. (I think I did the clothesline dip a couple of weeks ago or something similar...). They just aren't terribly fun to watch.

Trista and Louis... I think the "not comfortable with this" thing was staged. They had to get Ryan in on the action too. She certainly did not seem to throw herself into the dancing like some of the other celebs. I'm ok with the results.

I'm hoping to watch this week's show again with my mom and I'm looking forward to watching the next one.

4. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

Hey, you said over on Television Without Pity that John & Charlotte were doing tango and everyone else was doing jive. Which is it?

5. Laura

Laura New Member

Porfirio, I wasn't as well-lit as you so it might be pointless.

BrookeErin, from what I can gather Charlotte, John, and his wife are all very friendly and in fact all went out to dinner together after the show along with Charlotte's boyfriend. I don't see her attentions as being anything unusual from a coach who is friends with her student, who is bubbly and demonstrative anyway, and who is completely delighted with how well her student is doing.

6. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

well, I meant to say that it's none of my business.... just suggesting that I wasn't totally comfortable watching it either

7. Another Elizabeth

Oops, never mind - I misread. (So did a few others, though).

8. Laura

Laura New Member

I don't post to Television Without Pity. I love that board, but there's too much there for me to read and keep up with!

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

What's the link to television without pity again? I never did get back over there after, even after the first episode. I probably have a lot of catch-up reading to do.

10. Another Elizabeth

Really? There's someone over there talking about having driven down from the Bay Area and sat next to Louis Von Amstel's mother. I just assumed it had to be you. Maybe it's your partner?

11. Laura

Laura New Member

It's an interesting point, though -- I'm sure the producers are looking for some kind of chemistry and interaction between the dancers. I think that's part of why Trista couldn't pull the votes -- she just didn't seem connected to Louis in any manner or form. But then there's the question of how the viewing audience who doesn't know what's what personally reacts. I'm sure you're not the only person out there who feels that way, just as I'm sure that the guy who was practically chasing Charlotte to the elevator going on about how cute she and John looked together isn't the only person who thinks that. I wonder if more people feel like you and the whole thing will sort of backfire in the end, or what? Anyway, good point you made!

12. Laura

Laura New Member

It's the person who I drove down with from the Bay Area :) I didn't know she was actually posting there at TWoP. (And I'm the one who physically sat next to Ms. van Eis, but we both talked to her. :) )

13. Another Elizabeth

Here's her post.

14. Laura

Laura New Member

I thought two couples were doing tango and the rest doing jive. Perhaps my road trip buddy heard differently or remembered differently. Anyway, it's definitely going to be Tango and Jive but not Foxtrot next week. And now that I've gone and looked at zigeltto's post and the replies to it on TWoP, I'm thinking that I'm just confused about Britney Spears and that's where all this is coming from. I know Jonathan was issued Britney Spears' "Toxic" to use with Rachel, and I thought he said it was a Tango but I guess that piece of music is really a Jive? I have no idea, I never listen to Spears if I can help it.

So anyway, if you can tango to "Toxic" then yes, two couples will be doing Tango. If not, then only one.

Sorry for the confusion. I guess if I knew my pop-tart music better.... :) ;)

15. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Got back from our lesson tonight... Had a chat with our coach about DWTS.

He called Louis' waltz a trainwreck and incredibly painful to watch, lol. He was so funny the way he said it and his facial expressions, I nearly fell over laughing.

He is following the show with GREAT interest.

One thing we all decided during our lesson tonight was this.... If anyone had 6 weeks x4 hours per day x7 days, they should be a much better dancer than what we've seen thus far (with the exception of John, Joey & Rachel). That's how many consecutive hours? Well, unless they have NO way of "catching" the rhythm of the music.....

16. Infosaturated

Infosaturated New Member

That seems a little unfair seeing as John, Joey, Rachel and Trista all had dance training before they started.

Given the wide disparity in training between pros and between amateurs (for example Johnathan is a pro-am champ) my criteria for judging isn't based purely on technical skill.

I am judging them with their background training in mind. John- broadway and his age, he has to have had some prior lead experience, Rachel-classical ballet, Joey - hiphop.

I would love to get your (anyone here) more knowledgable opinions on the performances of the dancers taking into account their prior training even if you are voting purely on who is best technically.

I can easily identify the influence of Rachel's classical ballet training when she dances. Her leg extensions and spins are lovely to behold, but I don't see any really change in her from week one to week two. Maybe next week she will kick it up a notch and try something more challenging, cut back on the ballet moves. If so she might pique my interest enough to want to see her another week. If she doesn't, I am getting bored with the leg extensions.

Joey's hip-hop was easily identifiable in the cha cha, not so much in the quickstep although hip-hop still gave him an edge in learning choreography. Nevertheless I felt he strengthened his leading ability from last week. I want to see if he adds something new next week. (Improved leading/latin styling/better control or posture)

John, very impressive. He has been on broadway, and given his age and profession I have no doubt that he has some experience leading and learning choreography. Nevertheless he is great so far and I think really stretching and improving. But, the real reason I want John and Charlotte to stay is that they are doing identifiable steps, dancing more traditionally, controlled. I prefer that to the wide-open styling of the other couples. Even if that is all they do I want them back so I can see what I consider (as a non-dancer) "real" ballroom.

Evander, poor man, definitely not a dancer. But, he is interesting :lol:. Hats off to Edyta because she has done a great job with him considering the challenge. He did do more dancing this week. I suspect this is as good as he can get, but I hope he surprises me next week. Obviously he will always be the worst dancer on the show, but he could also be the one that ends up showing most improvement and that would be really fun to watch (for me).

Kelly, my vote isn't "fan-based", or "pity-based". I do feel she was unfairly bashed by the judges. She was certain far better than Evander if we are talking purely technical merit. If backgrounds are being taken into account, well, she is the only female with no formal dance training. Given that I think she did impressively well against the other women. If she could compete with them even a little bit when they have so much more dance training than she does she could really surprise us with how much she can learn. This week she showed an entirely different side of herself (no pun intended). I am very curious to see what she and Alec will come up with next week.

Given the completely uneven backgrounds of the dancers pro and celeb, this really isn't and never was a technical dancing competition. Therefore, I won't vote on that basis. I am voting on the basis of who I think will learn the most over the next four weeks and who will be most interesting to watch.

17. Lightspan

Lightspan New Member

Does anyone know whether they'll be dancing the International or American style tango?

18. Stiletto One

Stiletto One New Member

Let's start a pool! I bet one eBuck that it'll be American.

19. discovery

discovery New Member

I'm not sure if I agree with you. People reach a saturation point where it takes some time to process the information they are being presented before they are ready for the next level of information. 168 hours is a lot of information to absorb in such a short time.

I think all the celebrities look pretty good considering the circumstances. I think we are seeing exactly what someone *does* look like after this kind of training not what they *should* look like. The variances in the performances can probably be accounted for by the stars' initial aptitudes for ballroom dancing. People vary GREATLY in how fast they can learn.

Also we have no idea where these people started from in terms of their ability.

20. Big10

Big10 Member

I don't quite understand your point about the "exceptions." We have a sample of six people where three turned out pretty good and three were not so good. :? Seems about right to me. (Although personally, I think that Trista and Kelly have also been better than many people give them credit for.)

I completely agree with discovery. I don't think it's fair to look just at a certain number of hours of studying and assume every student "should" reach the same level of accomplishment at the end. When you consider that dancing involves both physical and mental abilities (and again we don't know their starting points), it's even more unpredictable. Can even 50% of basketball players really look like Michael Jordan if they simply practice the identical number of hours that he did?

By the way, if the celebrities were indeed taking lessons for 4 hours a day every single day of the week, then the mental and physical toll would be extremely exhausting! I can't imagine that has been their regimen. Is that on a website somewhere or did they explain it on the show?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.