Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing With the Stars--Week 3

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by TemptressToo, Jun 15, 2005.

?

Who gets your vote?

1. John OHurley and Charlotte Jorgensen

100.0%
  2. Joey McIntyre and Ashly DelGrosso

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Kelly Monaco and Alec Mezo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Rachel Hunter and Jonathan Roberts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

John suffers from the same disease my husband did.... Looking RIGHT instead of LEFT. We had a big laugh over that. It only took Surya what? Three years to fix that?

2. DancingMommy

Re: First 2 Cents

Because they were *tied*. They had to resort to the rule of 11 (or something like it) and go with the audience score to break the tie.

3. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

They couldn't have been tied. Joey had a higher score from the judges than Evander, so to be tied, he would have had to have had a lower audience vote, so the tie would have been broken in Evander's favor. (It was Joey at the end, right? Whoever it was, the same analysis applies.)

4. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

I think the "random order" quote is more for the first couples who are called out as staying. Of course they are going to keep the suspense up for the audience until the last, so the last two couples are the lowest scored. But I think they are trying to make it tense for the other couples too by not letting them know who was 1st, 2nd, etc. and possibly as a way to keep us from knowing who we can vote out? If we don't know the actual popular vote for, say, Rachel or Kelly, we can't "rig" the vote for the next week.

5. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

do you play bridge?

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I know I was majorly disappointed in the camerawork. ;)

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What--you were expecting Walter Laird? ;)

8. DancingMommy

Nope. But I do like being sarcastic every once in a while, lol. Guess my :irony: emoticon was not quite functional.

9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I'm sure there was concern about the potential for wardrobe malfunction... I know the director called for a few panic cuts. :wink:

10. Infosaturated

Infosaturated New Member

I think who will score with the Judges is pretty obvious, Rachel and John in first and second place, not necessarily respectively, and Joey and Kelly in third and fourth place.

Some people think that it is the "fan bases" of the stars that is skewing or driving the public voting, and it may be abit, but I also think that as the general public can't vote based on technical merit, they vote on entertainment value. This week I think Kelly's and Joey's performances will be the crowd pleasers because Rachel and John are getting to feel very repetitive. But, I also think John has a solid following, so probably Rachel will go unless the judges save her with another 6, in which case I think Joey will be voted off.

Nevertheless we will see all 4 couples dance again next week. The Samba individually, and the Waltz all together.

Evaluating them from the perspective of the judges is easy, and I think most knowledgable dancers are clear on which dancers have the better technique for which dances, therefore that is a given at this point. What is not a given is the audience. Most non-dancers can't tell who is leading, or see any detail errors. We will see obvious missteps, moments of extreme bad posture or timing, and facial expressions.

John and Rachel will have to do the Samba, which I understand is a bit faster than what they have done so far. Joey doesn't strike me as having much latin flair but he may just not have had the chance to show us. Kelly's footwork is improving, so I think we may see a nice combination of footwork and sexy moves from her.

The V. Waltz will be danced with all four couples on the floor, and the floor isn't that big. Furthermore, leading will be an important component because they can't choreograph the dance in advance.

I'd like to hear how you think they will do in the dances from the audience perspective given that the audience will not see detail flaws, only major flaws. Will Rachel's size be more of a handicap in the Samba? What about John, can he do a good Samba?

And what I'd really love to hear, is how do you think they will all manage on the dancefloor together? Who will have the advantage and why?

11. DancingMommy

One word = Train-wreck. :twisted: But it's gonna be fun.... I have to tape it though... I'll be at a class to unlock my inner artist....

12. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

I posted this over on Television Without Pity - I'm afraid that John and Charlotte could be booted next week.

13. Laura

Laura New Member

I think Rachel will be going home, although I'd rather it not be her. I think people see her dancing as one-dimensional (lots of posing and extentions) and they haven't really connected with her and/or Jonathan.

If John & Charlotte get booted it won't be bad thing in a way...I say that because a friend of mine is coached by her and hasn't been able to see her (except on TV) since the show started. My friends want their coach back :)

Another Elizabeth, if you haven't guessed already, I recently got myself a TWoP login after all. It's a nice forum, I love their FAQs.

14. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

I will miss Evander.... maybe not the best dancer, but fun to watch.
    My untrained opinion was that Rachel's tango was oh so boring. I am just not impressed with her. John and Charlotte are by far my favorites. I'm sure she is backleading at least some, but don't you kind of expect her to in this case? I could really see the "performance" edge in Joey and Ashly's dance, but he was pretty sloppy. His unlocked elbows/ flailing arms were killing me. I like Ashly, so they are probably my second favorite. I think the judges can be harsh...I think especially Bruno wants to be like Simon from American Idol. I'd prefer simply hearing tips for improvement. I also agree that the show is getting better and the demonstrations at the beginning are nice.

15. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

This is where it will definitely be unfair for the leaders who are not experienced dancers, vs. those leaders who are. Because the leader decides how and when a rotational switch is needed (or moving to a fleckerl if necessary) to get around potential traffic, it will be very hard for guys just learning the dance in a single week to get a feel for that. This will naturally make the couples with the pro lead/celebrity follow look better.

Of course, if there are obvious differences in posture that will mitigate any floorcraft issues. Now that Evander's gone Joey might have a disadvantage here because his posture isn't very good.

16. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

What I'm finding interesting is that my initial reaction to the routines and the opinions I have now are quite different. Next week, I'm going to watch each routine at least twice before I vote.

That leads me to wonder if the judges would vote the way they have, if the show weren't live, but they were watching a competition video, for example. Also, how much of the voting is based on the feeling in the moment, the studio audience reaction and other intangibles that don't make it out to the TV viewing audience.

I've found Porfirio's and Laura's observations from the live audience to be very enlightening. They've added a unique perspective. So now I'm wondering... 8)

17. Infosaturated

Infosaturated New Member

That's why I am wondering if Kelly and Alec will have the edge in the V. Waltz.

Jonathan has had some trouble leading Rachel. Up to now her 11 years of ballet have benefited her, those awesome legs and graceful poses, but Jon had trouble getting her to let him lead for the tango. There is no lead in ballet even when dancing with a partner one dances to the music. Rachel's size in comparison to Jon (I think) would add to the difficulty of leading a beginner. Plus, with Evander gone, the only person that will look a bit taller than her is John, and not by much.

Kelly may not have the quality of movements that Rachel has, but she's a tiny little thing compared to Alec. His lead can be forceful without looking it to the untrained eye.

Joey can't lead worth beans, I can't dance and even I see that. Big trouble in an unchoreographed program.

John and Charlotte will arguably be the best looking couple on the floor visually, and John does lead, but does he lead well enough for an unchoreographed dance that requires him to maneuver?

So, is my logic sound? Does anyone else think Alec and Kelly may have the edge? If not, who do you think will? John and Charlotte? Will it be possible to backlead during a V. Waltz with other couples on the floor or is that just impossible?

18. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

anyone knows what happen to the replay?
    I thought it's 7-8 EDT Sunday night? but I just checked, and there is nothing about DWTS on ABC right now. ??

19. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

last week, they replayed the episode at 8pm on wednesday, just before the new episode at 9pm. Don't know about this week.

20. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

oops....that's not convienent....have practice at that time as well....urgh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.