Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing with the Stars---Week 4

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Larinda McRaven, Jun 22, 2005.

?

who would you vote for to keep around after this episode?

1. Joey & Ashley

100.0%
  2. John & Charlotte

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Kelly & Alec

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jxntwinkletoes

jxntwinkletoes New Member

OK, I can't believe no one has mentioned that Kelly's top almost fell off and then she kept grabbing her bosums! My husband thinks it was done on purpose to get more votes, ha. I disagree that it was on purpose but she should have had her wardrobe more secure to prevent that. Isn't it true that if you have wardrobe malfunctions in competition that you get points taken off? Anyway, I found it hard to vote because I like all of the couples and they all appear to be working really hard. I think its funny that all these non dancers are really getting into watching this show. Can't wait until next week!

2. LennJS

LennJS New Member

I wasn't home in time to catch Joey's performance, too bad. Kelly did really amazing, no one seems to argue about that. After the first two weeks I was certain that john and charlotte were gonna take this whole thing, not anymore...

I have a theory about Joey's fan base. All the girls that were crazy about new kids from the block back in the 80s are grown up now and are all voting for Joey.

3. Alskling

Alskling Member

The dress was ghastly, one of the worst I've seen in a long time. I wonder who makes the choice of what to wear, the dancers themselves, or the powers-that-be on the show?

4. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

I don't like how the training clips show Ashly and Joey kind of switching roles... like how last week he was telling her how things should be done. I got a similar impression this week. It's probably just how it was edited, but it hit a nerve with me.

5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I saw two lifts during the VW. Didn't they say at the beginning that they would have a no-lifts rule?

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Yes, but they weren't being judged during the VW, it was purely for audience appreciation. And considering that I must say I give credit to Joey and Ashley. They certainly did not hold back, well, they never have held back, he certainly gives it his all.

7. jxntwinkletoes

jxntwinkletoes New Member

they said for the VW last night it was exhibition style, no rules, which meant lifts were allowed

8. Redtango

Redtango New Member

I was quite dissapointed to see Jonathan and Rachel booted this week - I was hoping that it would be down to them and John and Charlotte. John is a real showman and has the right kind of attitude that I think should be representing the amateur dancer to the non-dancing reality tv-watching crowd. It has been mentioned many times that the leader has to learn a lot more and it is much harder for a pro follower to make an am leader look good - almost for that reason alone John and Charlotte should win.
    The General Hospital fans really are a strong voting force (that is if we think that the viewer votes count/are counted). Anyone notice that this is also an ABC network show? ^_~
    John and Charlotte were portrayed as the early winners - so people were more tempted to give the "underdogs" a more fighting chance. But now virtually anything can happen.
    I am honestly quite surprised that ballroom people are actually enjoying Kelly and Alec - I think they should have been the first ones to go! I agree she has been improving - but she is not a dancer, and not really a performer either - Joey and Evander really had personality regardless of their "dancing" ability.
    And I am tempted to agree with jxntwinkletoes's husband on the costume issue, I had the same thought during the show - especially considering that the strap was nonctirical to the stability of the garment ^_~
    This should be an interesting show...

9. Laura

Laura New Member

I did mention it already :)

In figure skating, yes, but in ballroom dancing competitions there's not a code of deductions that anyone has to follow. Solo routines are scored on a scale of 1-100, but in regular competitions people are merely ranked (like figure skating ordinals). No point score is associated with someone's first place, or 5th place, or whatever in regular competitions.

Me neither! More fun for everyone!

10. Laura

Laura New Member

I am not sure, but I think that the costumes are selected for the dancers. It's a logical guess at least, because I can't imagine that Charlotte would ever willingly pick that kind of outfit for herself!

11. Alskling

Alskling Member

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Doesn't track with what I've seen of her style at all, either on the competitive dance floor or off it.

I was told recently that Designs to Shine isn't getting paid for this, so none of the costumes were designed specifically for the dancers on the show. They're all off the rack from what the designer had available, which could narrow the costume choices significantly. Don't know if that's accurate, but that's the scuttlebutt...

12. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

I was impressed with the aplomb she showed wearing that monstrosity.

13. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

my uneducated chime-in....

Alec exuded sensuality, but it felt like Kelly was missing the a real latin feel. I was disgusted by her grabbing her chest, not realizing it was a wardrobe malfunction until after the dance. Why is the dress completely strapless?

John and Charlotte may not be improving exponentially, but they were very together from what I could see. If nothing else, he is a fabulous performer and way fun to watch. They are still my favorites.

Joey was much improved, but maybe a bit stiff? I thought he was all over the place with the jive though. I'd like to know how Ashly did her hair; I'm looking for some new ideas since I go out so frequently.

I agree with whoever said that Rachel and Jonathan seemed to match their music in a disappointing way. It felt campy and again boring for me. Her ballet training betrayed her...I wanted her to have more street style.

14. discovery

discovery New Member

I had the same feeling which is what lead me to think he is self-important. And he did the same thing last week. He seems to be taking the roll of the sage artist who tells young grasshopper ashly that she just needs to let go and be free. But somehow as a former NKOTB, I don't think he's qualified to take that roll.

15. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

As a teacher I know that this is one of the things you grow into very slowly... being able to rope in and control the wild buck of a student. If he really is as headstrong as the clips portay him (which could just be creative editing!) then she simply hasn't had the teaching experience to be able to harness his spirit and redirect that energy into something more important for the task at hand. Every new teacher gets run over by a few students before they figure out how to take charge and control of the situation.

16. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

What is wrong with balletic?????????????
    Nothing!
    Grace, extension, flexibility, pointed toes, posture, alignment, good arm styling and good lines are all major assets to any kind of beautiful dancing - smooth, standard, Latin, Rythmn, swing, salsa, even CW! I'm tired of people saying Rachel is too balletic. There's no such thing, IMO. Look at Olga Forapanova and David Hamilton. I don't see anything wrong with what they've done, nothing I don't see at every comp. Of course, she could be smoother and there are many traits particular to each dance that no one can absorb in such a short time.
    John and Charlotte have been my favorites all along. He has great showmanship.
    Last week, I voted for Rachel to keep her in, but it didn't work. I thought Mr. All-over- the place Joey should have gotten the boot.
    Whatsername has improved a lot, and surprised me. Also, look at what one, ONE ballet lesson did for her!
    ~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~~***~~~~~~

Finish in 5th, on toe, arms high fifth, into a cursty, arms down to low fifth to second, and rise and smile. ~*

17. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Okay; just got around to watching it.

I think most of the dresses are just AWFUL. Rachel's -- I couldn't stop thinking she looked like a peacock. Yech!

I thought Joey had really good hip movement. He's got a ways to go, but nailing the hips is not an easy thing to do.

Not that enthusiastic about Kelly. The wardrobe malfunction was too much of a distraction and her footwork was pretty sloppy - feet too far apart. She has improved, though, I'll give her that.

And if I hear this guy say SAMBA with a short A one more time.....

18. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Do you really think 1 ballet lesson made all that difference ? I can hardly believe that.

19. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

I hear you... thought it was just me that was eeked.

20. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

My dance buddy got us tickets for Wednesday's show (22 Jun). Don't try looking for me, though, because they stuck me behind that arch-like set "behind" the audience (behind the right leg of that arch on the judges' side). All I could see was a little bit of the floor just in front of the orchestra along with the dias. The only advantage of my seat was that the host sat right in front of me, so when he wasn't there I could watch the show on his monitor. And I set up the VCR to tape it at home (am copying that recording right now for my dance buddy -- she got a much better seat; they must have placed us based on our looks), so I'm able to see what I missed.

And we had our time on that dance floor! OK, so it was just being led to our seats, but we were out there on that floor!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.