Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing with the Stars - Week 5

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by discovery, Jun 29, 2005.

?

Who is your Final WINNER?

1. John & Charlotte

100.0%
  2. Kelly & Alec

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I wouldn't. But, like randomMysh, I'd schedule as many lessons with Charlotte as possible if she was around.

2. swan

swan Member

Thoughts on flash & trash, choreography & danceability...

I watched week 5 again, some of Ashley's choreography were the SAME as John & Charlotte. Lots of 'basics' there. It might not be executed as elegantly. Also the music piece was more 'crowd pleasing' perhaps than the traditional elegant, flowy foxtrot. Talk about unfair judging. Not comparing Charlotte & Ashley, I didn't think Joey's foot work was any messier than John's! Both had posture problems.

And as for Kelly & Alec, it's because Kelly's doing the dips & splits, Vs. Charlotte doing a nice develope & all the roundes. I actually didn't think it was that trashy on Kelly's part, her attempt was not all failure.

But it also goes to show why this show would be judged so differently from our real ballroom comps!

In real comps, men's frame & leading ability would be judged more than the women's ability - as evident in Pro/Am comps. But in reality show, the amateur men actually have more upside than the women! Because the female pros could do all those difficult flashy stuff beautifully (Rachel was an exception because of her ballet background). So it could be 'unbearable' for some people to watch.

To be fair, I thought Kelly's lines were quite elegant in this episode, at her level. She did huntched up a bit here & there, but overall, not unbearable to watch. I've seen enough pro/am comps, and she did better than a lot of American Smooth Pro/Am gals out there!

I'd say the next season, probably all couples should bring a balance between elegance/grace and the flashy moves.

John/Charlotte's were sometimes a bit too quiet for TV audience taste - so we do need a bit more excitement.

And after rewatching Week 5, I actually didn't think the Eye of Tiger piece interpretation was too bad :) In fact, it was entertaining & that Paso, I'd re-rank it to be #1 among the 3 couples!

I'm starting to watch this show w/ a different eye than I would for a real ballroom competition (or even Pro/Am comps!)

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

So you see differences between the watch and the re-watch? I've noticed the same in myself. 8) :)

4. Infosaturated

Infosaturated New Member

I found out (from Alec) that his music for the paso was assigned. He didn't have a choice and was told that in England it is used as paso music.

What type of music is "Let's Get Loud" by J Lo? I mean from a dance perspective. This will be Kelly and Alec's freestyle music.

5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

6. alemana

alemana New Member

you know, if putting a rhythmically ungifted soap opera star in navel-baring two-piece gowns gets more folks into the studios and more eyeballs on PBS' broadcast of OSB this year, i say rock on.

i myself am not the target audience for DWS - i realize that now. which is good, because i experience the broadcasts with an excruciating mix of visceral pain and horror.

7. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Tacad, this is something I've thought throughout the series. My wife and I are beginning ballroom dancers (just signed up for lessons last week), but we both have degrees in music.

I think we understand why the producers are programming pop music over music that's traditional to the dances (although it's ironic that the show's theme music is cool, appropriate latin music).

We've never, however, understood why, with a live band (and presumably an arranger to write for the band), they don't program appropriately re-styled versions of the pop tunes they choose. It would be so easy to do a tango version of this tune or a samba version of that. Putting in authentic rhythms, etc. would not make a song unrecognizable to the general audience, but it would sure help us see music and dances that seem to relate to each other!

8. pygmalion

You crack me up. 8) :lol: :lol:

9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

What are the dances for the final week? Or do John and Kelly get to choose their dances? Also, will the other dancers (Trista, Evander, Rachel and Joey) come back for one final dance? Somehow, the producers have to fill the hour with something...

10. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

Is the OSB (Ohio Star Ball - broadcast as Championship Ballroom Dancing) back on PBS? I thought it was discontinued and not picked back up?

11. pygmalion

I've been wondering about that, too. :?

12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Actually it will be filmed this year! The Smooth and Rhythm will be filmed, including the new catagory, Smooth and Rhythm Solos... :D

13. alemana

alemana New Member

yes, and this weekend at Manhattan they were also talking about how much pro-am was planned to make the broadcast as well - people were really buzzing about it.

14. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

So.... any two DF people want to join a friend and eye at the taping? Please PM me ASAP! :wink:

15. alemana

alemana New Member

WAH!!!!

16. SDsalsaguy

I'm sure you could get a flight in time! :wink:

17. SDsalsaguy

No one??? :shock:

18. Infosaturated

Infosaturated New Member

Each couple, including the eliminated couples, will choose one dance from the dances they already performed.

John and Kelly will both do a freestyle number of their choice. Kelly's music will be "Let's Get Loud" by J Lo.

I don't know what number John will be dancing to.

19. pygmalion

Thanks. I've been asking. I'm glad to get the details. :D

20. discovery

discovery New Member

That would be cool but why on earth would they do that? I don't see how it would integrate with the show.

JOOC, if memory serves I remember you said that you weren't a ballroom dancer and yet at the same time you seem to have some intimate knowledge of the show. Are you in TV production or something? (If you care to share, if not that's cool.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.