Event Announcements > Dcdi 2006

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by IlyZislin, Sep 13, 2006.

1. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

DC DanceSport Inferno is Saturday, October 28 - Sunday, October 29. There are very sizable scholarships for Championship level.

Also the competition is now registered with USA Dance.

Who is coming?

more details at www.ballroomatmaryland.com/dcdi

2. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

What does registered with USA Dance mean?

Awesome that you have scholarships this year! Kayla and I will be there along with about half of the NCSU team.

3. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

well well well.. surprised with how you managed to pull this together.. we might go.. :)

4. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

Oh, nevermind... just read through the rules section of the website

5. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

Very surprised that they're allowing you to have costumes in syllabus levels. How the heck did you pull that one off?

6. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Is it "recognized" (as for example NDCA comps are) or is it "sanctioned"?

If it's sanctioned, you can't impose additional elgibility rules such as the collegiate traditional time limit on bronze.

7. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

Well... That's a very good question. We have a few exceptions form the USA Dance rules (for example, costumes).

8. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

It's a compromise - DCDI has a history of allowing costumes in Silver and above, and goign from "0 to no-costumes" in 1 year is 1) difficult 2) many think that costume rules are ... well, difficult and unreasonable (personally, I think having or not having a costume doesn't make one dance better) - so DCDI did not want to disallow costumes, and got an exception

9. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

So it's a recognized competition but not a sanctioned one?

10. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Why is it surprising? DCDI has always been a great comp!

11. Anna

Anna New Member

That's great and Princeton will definitely be going.

Do you think the levels will stay like collegiate levels, or will it be more like USABDA? Since for USABDA comps I seem to be one level behind where I am for college ones.

12. Katarzyna

Good maybe, but this sounds like really good organization... not just good. This must have taken a lot of work and a lot of coordinating

13. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Well, I've been going for 7 years and I always thought it was great. If by great organization you mean USA Dance sanction and scholarships, then I guess. But for some of us, we'd go even if there weren't scholarships because it's a great comp with or without them;)

14. Katarzyna

well, i went there once a while ago before, I remember it was well organized, but the floor was one of teh hardest to dance on.. ever. I hope that changed. I am especially surprised about the sanction..

It's tought for college comps to compete against NDCA comps with level of competition in Open. Especially since the same weekend there are 2 other events going on... There were many couples there last year in open divisions, but for amateur competition open was really strong pre-champ... So I hope this year will bring some stronger couples as well.

15. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

If you went there 3 years ago or less, the floor is the same. For the past 3 (I think?) years it's taken place in the Grand Ballroom of the University of MD. The floor isn't the best (sticky in the past; last year was OK) but the comp more than makes up for it - lots of cheering, team atmosphere, great audience... It was fun without the "stronger couples" in previous years and it will be fun this year no matter who comes:) It's not the level of dancing that makes it a great a comp, it's the atmosphere.

16. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

Yea... the date is a nightmare this year :( DCDI date got changed from its traditional 1st weekend of November due to circumstances beyond our control :(

17. Katarzyna

Well, I still hope it will attract a lot of competitors

18. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

Yea - atmosphere is always amazing - and atmosphere is amazing because of awesome people who come and create it :)

19. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

From the competitors perspective, nothing should really going to change other than bronze and up competitors having to have memberships. It's the same old fun DCDI!

20. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

That is how I understand it. If you want, I can find out.