Event Announcements > Dcdi 2006

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by IlyZislin, Sep 13, 2006.

1. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

how can one get to the comp from NY without a car?

3. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

There are a number of ways. Probably the easiest is to take a bus or train to Union Station and then the metro to college park. From there you could either take a short bus or cab, walk if you didn't have too much stuff (probably about 15 minutes), or get someone to come pick you up. I believe the buses and trains also go to New Carrollton and/or Silver Spring, which may save you having to go into downtown DC, and are close enough to College Park that you may be able to get a ride from there.

4. Katarzyna

Will try to figure out a way.. I would like to come with the NYU team, but I don't think they have space :( so have to figure out a way to get there on our own... Thank you for suggestions...

5. skwiggy

If you took the bus or train to New Carrollton or Silver Spring, maybe the NYU team could pick you up at one of those metro stops? Either one is probably only a 10 - 15 minute drive from campus. If you took the metro from either of those stops, it would take a very long time because you would have to take it all the way into DC and back out again. If you have to rely on public transport, a bus may be a better option. I'm not familiar with the local buses though, so I can't be much help there. But you can look at wmata.com for routes and schedules.

6. Katarzyna

Thank you again. Will check those out... will looke at more details when it's closer to the comp :) Just want to know there are options if we don't have a car to get there.. thank you!!! you are always helpful

7. skwiggy

Yup, there are options. None are very direct, but the options are definitely there. Glad to be helpful.

8. Anna

Anna New Member

Hop on Princeton's coach bus? (If we still have any money by then)

9. Katarzyna

If you guys get a bus, we can pay for our tickets ;)

10. Anna

Anna New Member

Ok, I'll let you know once we figure out this whole Cornell thing and even start thinking about DCDI...

11. Katarzyna

That would be absolutely fabulous :) Thank you

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

As long as you can get to a Metro station you should be able to take the subway to College Park and hop the UMCP shuttle bus to campus. IIRC the metro shuttle is free even for non-students.

13. Musique

Musique New Member

543 competitors, 12:50 pm Oct 18. We topped MIT06 by numbers. And it's still growing~~

14. Katarzyna

wow, that's big. Wish more couples would show up in Open...

15. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

Working on it :) Tell folks at BoF that they should come... (Scholarships and all)

16. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

I am not sure that DCDI topped MIT06. But I was hoping it would be smaller this year due to conflicts with SRC, NJOpen, Comp in Florida, Harvard Beginners - and just being a week earlier... Scheduling will be difficult, but I'll make it work - last year, we managed to stay within 15 minutes of schedule times!

At this point, everyone should just come :), I'll make the schedule work. It'll be a good time (I know that there are a few teams that haven't even started registering yet...)

17. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

At Ily's request I grabbed the numbers out of the database. MIT06 had 803 unique, non-TBA competitors; so DCDI still has a few hundred to pass that.

MIT06 had 559 couples so the 543 competitors that Musique reported are quiet close, but that's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

18. Musique

Musique New Member

oh, i mistook the couples vs competitors.
    no way we'll outnumber MIT. otherwise, ily's gonna quit... (the threshold for him is 700:D)

19. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

yea.... my limit was 500, but that didn't happen. C'mon, I do everything I can to keep the comp small :) we don't advertise too much, make sure we have 4 other comps the same weekend, and people still come :) j/k It'll be fun. We'll stay on schedule, and I think even if 150 more people register we won't have to start before 8am!

20. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

Thanks Eric - you actually saved my hair from turning completely grey today! I remember when we discussed scheduling of last years MIT, and I know there's no way I can pull that off for DCDI