General Dance Discussion > Definitive video of why children shouldn't be at dances

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by jon, Sep 26, 2004.

1. jon

jon Member

See here (short MPG clip).

2. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:? I can't get into this -- my computer tries to open it in AOL Media player -- no screen. Do you have another link to get into this maybe?

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Try Right Click then "Save Target as..."

It's pretty funny (I assume the kid was okay afterwards).
    It really makes me feel uncomfortable when I have to perform and there are kids running around.

4. love2swing

love2swing New Member

It is pretty funny. Although, funny in the sense that I feel horrified with myself for laughing at it. :shock: But funny nonetheless. :D

5. sanityhaven

sanityhaven New Member

6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

That's just hilarious! :lol:

7. blue

blue New Member

Something similar, although less serious than a foot in the face, happened in my karate class some years ago. My teacher had brought his four-years-old, and he ran over the floor - I did not see him when I turned, so he fell over my leg like I had deliberately tripped him up. He didn't cry though, possibly he knew he should not have been there, but I always felt very awkward when people brought there youngsters to look at the training.

8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

A couple years back, at a salsa party I attended, some people had brought their small children. The place was big and there were spaces for them to sit & I didn't mind the kids one bit, but the sheeer volume of the noise worried me. Damage to eardrums is irreversible and I wondered if the parents were aware of this :evil: (Not to mention the secondhand smoke) :evil: :evil:

9. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

the only thing funnier would have been to have it happen to the parent(s) who let the kid(s) run free in a situation like that.

or that the kid was actually a midget stuntman and that was the first of 10-20 consecutive takes.

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Uh oh. The great to kid or not to kid debate round two begins ... :roll: :lol:

11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

More like to drop kick the kid or not!!! :lol:

12. pygmalion

:doh: Every response I can think of is totally politically incorrect! :oops: :lol: I'd better keep my mouth shut.

13. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

Talk about "sweet shin music" :twisted:

14. foursquare

foursquare New Member

I haven't had a chance to view the video, but I'm assuming from the responses that it's some kid running around unsupervised at a dance, and he/she gets hammered by someone dancing that didn't see him or her.

What about kids at dances in general? I take my 9 year old daughter on a fairly regular basis. She pays her entrance fee (well, I do,) and she's there to dance. We dance a couple songs, then go back to the table and chat about school, etc. She's never on the dance floor (or anywhere else) without me.

Is the general opinion that kids are verboten at dances, or just the unruly/unsupervised ones that the parents can't be bothered to control?

foursquare

15. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

pretty much just the unruly unsupervised ones...which seems to be the major problem with taking children anywhere.

I have performed a showdance around children darting diagonaly across the floor just to go sit by their friends, or run in circles with streamers as we come barreling down the line with spotlights in our eyes unable to see anything further than a few feet. Pretty scary.

The studio I used to work for has a beautiful waterfall and plant area when you walk in. I used to be in charge of that area and kept it fully planted with orchids and such. I was mortified when I came around the corner to see a child had picked all of the blooms and put them in the water, tuned over several pots and dumped the soil in the water, and rearranged my rocks so the water was bouncing and splashing all over the place. I was more mortified when the mother yelled at me for scolding her child. Niether of them were students at the studio, but guest coming to visit a friend.

I think the problem is usually the parents and NOT the kids.

16. Sabor

Sabor New Member

how incredibly mortifying :x .. i'm mortified that u were mortified.. certifiably mortifyable is what it is.. tsk tsk tsk.. :x

every one .. pls. join me in some group mortification activity once a week in the institute of mortified citizens to show our support for mortified people world wide :x

:lol: :lol:

17. pygmalion

I think Larinda is right. The problem usually is with the parents, rather than the children. The old cliche "love is blind" applies here more than ever, IMHO. Many, if not most, people, have no problem with well-behaved children being present. However, many parents are so blindly in love with their little darlings that they can't tell the difference. Um, hello. Your little one running in circles around my feet? That's not charming, however much you, the parent may think so.

Foursquare, I think that, if you're taking your well-behaved nine year old to suitable dances to DANCE, by all means, go for it. 8)

But it's a fine line. I remember several years ago helping to plan a company picnic. One woman, the only one on the planning committee with young children, was insistent that we should make the picnic a family event, and that we had to provide suitable activities for "the children." My response was why? What children? The company picnic was during normal work hours, so why exactly did it HAVE to be a "family" event that focused on face painting and children's treasure hunts? Family events held absolutely no appeal for me, and never did care for face-painting. :wink:

My (long-winded LOL) take is that well-behaved, non-disruptive kids are always welcome. However, I see two problems with kids. One, when they're not well-behaved and the parents do nothing about it. And two, when their presence is allowed to change the activity into a "family" activity. "Family" activities are great for families. But singles, childless married couples, older people, or people who go out to get an evening away from their own children might find family events a bit less appealing.

18. dTas

dTas New Member

CHILDREN? heck that's nothing... how about absent minded wait-staff.

my partner and i were performing a waltz at a formal sit down dinner event when a waiter serving desserts placed a standing tray filled with key-lime tarts right on the floor in the path of our approaching lift.

visions of tiny little tarts flying through the air filled everyones minds as they saw us moving towards the tray. luckily we saw the tray and pulled up short on the lift. my partners foot missed the tray by abount a foot. *whew!*

needless to say the tray was gone by next pass around the floor.

19. foursquare

foursquare New Member

Suitable dances? I've taken her to both bar and studio dances. As there has been no nudity, excessive profanity or knife fights at any of those locations (even at the Elks), I've deemed them suitable. Where is she going to swing dance if not where the swing dances are? :)

As far as events becoming family events, I've never seen this happen (kid's presence causing change) at any dance locale I've been to. If it's a problem, I've not seen it.

I guess we can agree that well-behaved, non-disruptive PEOPLE are the goal at a dance. If there are kids at an event, it is the parent's responsibility to enforce that.

I wish I had the same influence over some of the "adults" that show up.

foursquare
    "Browbeating my kid into submission since 1995"

20. pygmalion

As her dad, it's up to you to decide what's suitable for her. There are lots of swing dances here (actually most, come to think of it) that are non-smoking, non-drinking and nowhere near a bar. So parents here have lots of choices for their kids, if they choose to take kids along. 8)