Tango Argentino > Determining skill by watching

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by twnkltoz, Sep 5, 2011.

1. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I agree. It's not necessary to go beyond ones comfort zone in order to have a great dance. Sometimes it's even counter productive.

2. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I don't interpret it as dissatisfaction, rather as a sign of distraction. I don't think it's possible for my partner to sing and still give full attention to the dance I am trying to give her. I don't think she, or I, could sing any more than we could talk and still give full attention to the dance.

3. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

A question to the followers:

Have any of you ever starting singing during a tanda, and if so, was it because you were really enjoying yourself, or was it because you were bored?

OK, I guess it's really a couple questions, but you get the idea (I'm trying to find out if I've been missing out on something).

:cool:

4. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I never sing in public, but I can't talk and dance a good dance at the same time, other than the occasional "nice!" or "well led!" but if he's really keeping me on my toes, I can't even do that. The only ones I can converse with (I know, you're not supposed to, but if they start it I go along) are the beginners who don't do much. Even that's a struggle for me, but maybe singing takes less brain power than talking if you've heard the song a million times? Heck, with some leaders I don't have the breath to spare for talking or singing, let alone brain power.

5. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I would thnk that if the follower is singing, it shows an unusual level of familiarity with the music playing, and that should be a good thing.

I suppose if she's singing a different song, that would indicate a problem you need to address!

6. Zoopsia59

oops... should have read ahead... UKD beat me to it!

7. Zoopsia59

I don't know the lyrics to AT music (and don't speak Spanish) I have been known to sing along to cortinas though. ;)

8. Zoopsia59

I can sing and dance at the same time, but I don't know if I can sing and follow (a partnered improvised social dance) at the same time. I've never had the opportunity since I don't know any of the lyrics to the songs typically played.

9. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I might be able to sing Tango to Evora while following...

10. bastet

bastet Active Member

I'll only sing if someone is singing with me...you wouldn't want to hear me sing by myself! (And usually it's just something we are familiar with or find amusing for a moment, not a whole song, like Biagi Cielito Mio where it's good until you start going "Ay, ay, ay, ay, canta y no llores...")

11. bastet

bastet Active Member

la la la la la la...lalalalala... :)

12. Temza

Temza Member

How odd. I *always* sing in my head when I dance and humm the tune if I know/suspect that the leader doesn't mind. I stop singing in my head when I am NOT enjoying the dance.
    Interesting that Joaquin Amenabar believes that singing while dancing is a crucial tool in teaching people to dance musically

13. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

while in agreement with the above, one of my favourite dancers is a music teacher. we have a special embrace; her right hand is clamped over my mouth....:(

14. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

Hope you don't mind me saying so but I find this extremely . . . odd!

This is the most connected partner dance of all yet as a follower you
    are choosing which part of a multi-layered tune to individually and
    separately concentrate on. Surely you should be "listening" (silently!)
    to your partner and the tune.

In my experience people who sing in my ear are not connected with me
    and by such singing are overriding my interpretation of the music. In jive
    such intrusion to connection is sometimes called "noise" even when it's
    silent (bouncing arms for instance), your singing is noisy "noise"!

So please don't sing in my ear but concentrate on working out what
    part of the tune your partner is dancing to, if he's musical it will keep
    changing during the dance and you'll be kept plenty occupied.

I have no experience of him but singing while dancing isn't crucial at all -
    it's off-putting - but listening when dancing is crucial.

However, whatever it takes to develop connection with the music is fine.
    I'm never sure that an academic approach is appropriate nor musicality
    being taught by musicians who have an analytical and technical perception
    that dancers dancing in the moment don't need.

Lots of listening away from the dance floor is key for me.
    It's an alien music to most of us when we first hear it, when argentines
    started dancing they already were familiar with it and presumably those
    who started dancing were moved to dance by the music. In other words
    they had dance and musical connection within them.

So first you have to find your way of connecting to the music and then
    when and if the music moves you to move, move on your own.
    To move with a partner, first you have to be able to move yourself.

15. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

Some of these situations could actually be musical back leading, couldn't it?

16. bordertangoman

This IMO is odd; one of the loveliest dances I had a lady was singing along to Flores de Alma

and I can hum, and listen to the music and my partner; come on any professional musician listens to what the other instruments are doing while he/she plays; why cant us mere mortals do the same?

17. doornail

doornail New Member

Singing

It's fascinating that people have such a different opinion on it. It's so fundamental to me that I just assumed everyone thought the same. I don't find it distracting, and the people I dance with who sing (or hum) along are often the ones I feel the best connection with.

I guess it's just another one of those things that everyone 'adjusts' to. I imagine it's pretty obvious that I enjoy my partner singing along. If they're doing so a bit nervously then I often hum along too for a while, as a sign of 'I'm okay with it if you are'! Of course, I can't hold a note at all well, so if I've ended up singing along I often feel the need to apologise at the end of the song...

By the way -- having somebody talking to me during the dance reduces me to complete incompetence, so it's definitely a different bit of the brain being used.

Thanks!

18. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

The same way as I smile only when the follower makes a mistake, I sing only when irritated by something.
    Move, move, fat guy, my danceline you are blockin
    If you stay in my way then I will start pushin

19. Temza

Temza Member

Can't agree more.

20. bordertangoman