Tango Argentino > Determining skill by watching

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by twnkltoz, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I know my first teacher used to hum or sing quietly deliberately--he told me I would dance differently (better) when he did so. To me, it's charming...assuming it's done relatively well. I tune in more to my partner, it feels like he's more in tune with the music...when I stop myself from humming along (because so many people seem to dislike it so intently) I actually find that (the deliberate stopping) distracting. I can hum and dance at the same time--it's two simultaneous expressions of the music...it's like I can't keep it to myself. Sometimes, I'm just moved enough that I want to hum or sing along quietly...which I can do and dance at the same time just fine...but suppressing it is distracting.

2. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

But he's humming while we're both listening to the same music (and in fact, I listen to the extra one he makes while humming). He's not talking to me except through the music -- humming and all.

In other words, I'd find someone humming when I'm talking to them offensive, but they can hum just fine when I dance with 'em.

I'll bite my lips before I say anything about people trying to talk instead of humming to the music on a milonga floor...

3. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I agree with that completely. I wish more followers would just say, "Shut up and dance"!

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

no dont bite your lips ( or do you mean your tongue?) just tell them to shaddup. Appparently Germans do..

sprechen Sie nicht, indem Sie tanzen

5. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Do you think that will get them more dances?

[​IMG]

6. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

No. But I don't think they are getting a dance while their partner is talking to them.

7. LoveTango

LoveTango Member

Exactly how I think. But of course, I won't be able to express even 20% of it. Thanks, Zoopsia.

8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

ftfy. ;)

9. LoveTango

LoveTango Member

How about using song 1 to calibrate? For me, with a leader I never dance before, I need a little time, maybe a minute or so, to become familiar with the characteristic of his connection and movement, so that my movement can be adjusted accordingly. I think it would be true for the leader, too.

10. LoveTango

LoveTango Member

I love that song. i would sing it with my body and mind, but would not sing it out loud.

11. bordertangoman

interstingly enough humming has given me an excuse Not to dance with someone..she hates people singing whilst dancing, and she's a lumpy dancer so its a great relief not to have to dance with her...

12. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I had someone who very softly sang and hummed to parts of the songs during a tanda (It's the first time that I can recall it happening). I found it to be very pleasant. It also made me feel like she was enjoying herself.

13. bordertangoman

i get that sometimes; its nice to hear, and I agree it probably means she knowsa nd likes the song...

14. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

The other night I danced with one of my regular favorites. He does not usually hum or sing, but this night I had the honor of dancing his favorite tango with him, and he sang it to me very softly, just for the two of us. It felt very special and sweet and not at all distracting. The rest of the tanda was the same orchestra which he loves, although he didn't sing them.

One thing I love about tango is that you can have these special moments and know that after the tanda is over, the love affair is over...it was all about the dance.