Develope

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Dec 28, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The last competition I attended, one thing I noticed in many, many pro-am couples. Truly hideous develope on the ladies. Awkward position of the back, weirdly bent knees, and yucky leg lines. Question: Any tips or pointers for making beautiful develope? Ladies? Teachers?

2. ballroomboilergirl

ballroomboilergirl New Member

Hmmm....I think my best advice on developes is to just don't try to overdo it. You don't need to lose your balance trying to extend your leg as high as possible; simply lift your knee up, gently and slowly, keeping it close to (but not touching) your other leg, and let your foot come forward and naturally straighten out in one smooth motion. My coach always tells me "you're not going for height, you're just going for a nice, smooth line". Height is definitely something that comes later after you've developed a good basic develope technique. I think this is a problem a lot of people (mostly, but not limited to, beginners) have with their developes...they put too much effort into it, trying to make it look to impressive, and it just ends up looking sloppy: they thrust their legs up as high as possible and lean back to the point that they are off-balance and must rely on their partner for stability. Anyway, my best advice is just to take it easy on developes...remember, cleanly executed basic moves will always beat out sloppily-executed fancy ones :D

slhull.13 likes this.
  3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Here are two easy things that I go over with ladies for their developes.

1. You can only lift your thigh as high as you are capable of straightening the knee without dropping the leg in order to reach full extension.
    2. Start the action slightly facing your partner (RF back in CBMP). Then as you raise your leg, lift your left hip up and slightly turn away from your partner. Your partner shoud be leading these angles by shaping his body accordingly. This make it appear that the leg is higher than it really is, and when you use these angles (slightly facing towards and slightly facing away) you give your body way more stability then you would have simply sitting back and kicking.

I have relatively little flexibilty in my legs and hamstrings. I would look like a litle old lady doing a squatty kick if I did not do these things to help me along...

GGinrhinestones likes this.
  4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

One other comment... please, for all that is good and right with the world, don't forget to point your foot/toes!!! I can't tell you how hideous it looks to see an even otherwise lovely develope with this "karate kick" looking foot position on the endof it! Instead of allowing the foot to complete extending the leg line it ends up truncating it preamturely. Yuck.

5. pygmalion

I also like to think of doing something specific with my leg and foot to match the music. For example, in waltz, I think of ending the develope through the end of my toes throughout the three beat of the music. So the develope sort of flows through to the end of my leg and fills all the music, rather than ending abruptly. Hard to describe. I hope that makes sense.

6. ballroomboilergirl

ballroomboilergirl New Member

LOL!!!!!!! :lol: Sorry, I just can't imagine Larinda as a little old lady doing a squatty kick...

7. tasche

tasche New Member

Developes are one of those moves you need to spend hours practicing to look beautiful which the average ballroom dancer does not. I'm not knocking anyone dont get me wrong most dont have time too. But in ballet you spend alot of time just doing a few basic movements and building the dance from there. In ballroom you spend alot of time learning alot of steps.

Taking a beginning adult class would be benefitical and I would recommend to stay in that lower level until they kick you out so you can concentrate on mastering the basic movements and not screwing it up with different combinations.

(Hey take my advice I'm not using it)

Well at least not right now right now

8. pygmalion

Ha! I had a feeling there were some moves where ballet was a huge asset to ballroom. :!: There's a thread on that somewhere. I'll have to see if I can resurrect it, so those of you with ballet experience can share your thoughts.

9. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

wow, pygmalion this was such an interesting thread I am resurrecting it almost 9 years after your post! I googled the word develpe (not that I'm learning it being the newbie that I am) and this thread appeared. I wouldn't have understood what develope stands for hadn't it been for DF. Lucky me to be a DF member too!!! xe xe xe:twisted:

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I would add that I like to think of it as sort of strying to do the splits in a phone both and that I always think of the foot and the kick as the very last aspect of the action which comes, for me, first from my hips and back, then thigh and knee, lastly the foot (pointed :))

11. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

Thank you for bringing this thread to life for me! I have a competition in two days and I am struggling with my Develope right now, thanks for the tips!

12. chomsky

good luck!!!

13. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

I have a tough Russian coach who has extensive ballet training. She reminded me last night after seeing my Ohio DVD that I (polite cough from coach and expression of WTH) have "extensive ballet training" also. LOL. She made me stand in the middle of the floor and work the developpe without any support - super slowly over and over and then she would say "pause" and I had to hold my leg straight with the foot pointed. It's funny but, there needs to be a thread entitled - don't hold yourself back. Believe you can do the moves correctly and as long as you are going slowly and building your core strength - sometimes your body follows. It helps that she brings back memories of the childhood Russian ballerina who never wanted to hear "I can't"

I highly recommend adult ballet beginner class and barre work for the same reasons as mentioned earlier on thread.

14. govnu

govnu Member

There are hundreds of Develope's variations

The ballroom dance version of Develope really was introduced from ballet by Sir Bill Irvine in 1961.

He put the Develope in an amalgamation of Waltz and taught a lecture on variation in congress organized by Imperial Society.

Even the original or the first Develope is slightly different from ballet's Develope because of ballroom dance's Frame and other characters. As mentioned by Sir Bill Irvine, now there are hundreds of Develope's variations developed by his idea in 1961. All these variations are specially fitted for ballroom dance.

Therefore, it may be more efficient to refer the performance of Develope by ballroom dance experts and learn how they interpret the variation of Develope you like.

15. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, our develope, arabesque, attitudes, and other balletic lines aren't really ballet lines. They would make most ballerinas cringe, yet within in the structure of ballroom they are beautiful in their own unique way.

Using ballet as a starting point is fine, but understanding where the styles diverge is really important.

16. chomsky

So much information so beautifully said. Many thanks for the input!!!

17. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

I agree ballroom dance is an art form with stylistic shapes and choreography that don't replicate ballet. But, ballet as a foundation - especially barre work - does build the core strength to execute ballroom shapes beautifully with balance. I see more "weak" developes from a lack of core strength and balance. Thank you Larinda for your tips on shaping with your pro in both directions to make the develope look higher - this idea became part of my lesson last night.

18. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Ok, resurrecting old thread cuz I need help. I've been working on my develope in waltz for a while and it's not getting any better :/ I am working on implementing these things, but I guess it still needs to take more time then I thought it would. I am currently working on it in solo practice without support (ie partner, wall, barre). I guess the biggest issue I have is that I'm having a very hard time staying on balance when I rise through it in my right foot. So here are my questions:

1) Is it acceptable to be on a flat foot while doing a develope out of a throwaway oversway, because that increases my stability tenfold?

2) Should I try working with a wall/barre more regularly to gain stability? Or will this cause more reliance on needing something (or more importantly someone coughpartnercough) to keep me stable?

19. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

So you're on balance initially, then not so much?

20. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I'm on balance coming out of the oversway and at the beginning of the lift. It isn't until I do the stretch out where I feel unbalanced.