Ballroom Dance > Develope

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Dec 28, 2003.

1. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate on that? I'm not sure I know what you mean by oversway here. Maybe it's an entrance I'm not familiar with.

2. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Oh, that is a super hard entrance. My partner wanted to do it so bad (throwaway oversway to develope to swivels and same foot lunge). We got demoted from it (probably for the best)
    I always feel more balanced on my tip toe rather than flat foot? Perhaps it is because I am better able to feel where my center is exactly over my foot...
    Can you do it balanced if you do a "mini develope"?

3. stash

stash Well-Known Member

@nikkitta it's the entrance above that @llamasarefuzzy is talking about.

Yeah I can stay on balanced in a mini develope. It's strange, My balance becomes way too far forward when I go up on my toes vs staying more grounded. That's our algimation as well (so far) :)

4. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

at 0:47 is what I think the combo that stash is talking about.
    I have no insights about this figure- if I did it would still be in our routine because it is absolutely b-e-a-utiful!

stash likes this.
  5. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Ok not exactly. we don't have the swivels which puts my Develope with my left foot off his right side (not in promenade) but everything else is the same.

6. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

hmmm. Victor/Heather picture lines DVD has develope and kick in closed position. Maybe there are some hints offered.

7. vit

vit Active Member

Unfortunately I and my partners didn't have develope in my 'ballroom phase'. But it's indeed a nice figure, maybe I'll try it at hobby classes, so I checked some dvds. As I can see, they conform with hints given by Larinda and other members at the beginning of the thread

In both Bizokas/Demidova and Veyrasset/Smith dvd, it looks like the lady is higher when they do a develope in promenade position (to the man's left), with the heel off the floor. When they do it to the other side, they lower more (so that supporting leg is bent more) and heel is on the floor. Heather said (in the second case) you can do it both ways. There is also a similar amalgamation in one video by Mirko/Alessia and she also has heel on the floor

Maybe important thing that I noticed is that they all achieve full extension of the leg when the knee is already traveling downwards (similar to what we do in jive, just greatly slowed down). On one clip I found on youtube where ballet dancers are practicing (ballet version of) developee, they extend the leg first. Of course, avoiding 'karate kid' leg lines is essential for the figure to look nice

As about the balance, shape of the lady is really "3 -dimensional" so everybody has to find her own balance I suppose. What I think is essential is to compensate the weight of the leg that goes into developee by inclination of the body to the opposite side and some usage of the head weight. It's interesting that Heather doesn't do much of it when demonstrating it solo, but much more when doing it in the couple. Check also that you body doesn't start bending as a reaction of the extension of the leg. Full extension being reached when the leg is already moving downwards also helps here

Also, it looks like both her and Katusha's hips go slightly behind the supporting foot (when in the couple). Alessia also moves hips slightly towards the partner (unlike when demoing it solo), so it looks like she is getting at least slight support from the partner. Etc

As always, I presume one has to find own balance solo first, but then slightly modify it when doing it with the partner. Anyway, I'm frequently surprised seeing relatively big differences between solo demo and when in the couple by top level dancers like these

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I would say that you need to be on your toe, since you're rotating on that foot to come out of the throwaway, and you shouldn't do that on a flat foot. Then once you're in position for the develope it makes no sense to lower to a flat foot and then rise again. Now, this isn't saying your heel needs to come very far off the floor when you're on your toe!

9. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

I was wondering how this thread would be developed.

10. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I see what you did there.

11. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

My .02 as a ballet/jazz dancer. A developé is all about the line. Better to make a beautiful leg 18" off the ground, strong, with straight leg from hip to toe, including pointed toe, than to throw up a higher leg all bent and straining. General advice is to imagine lifting thigh from underneath, which will raise knee and then extend lower leg without dropping knee, better even to continue to raise knee a little bit until apex. Then you get feeling of elevation even if leg is low. Nice to take a breath at apex of lift, hold leg for fraction of second and float leg down instead of letting let fall down. Control coming down is as important as going up. May be different for ballroom, but...

stash and 5678dance like this.
  12. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I guess that's another struggle I have with it. I feel rushed to get through it and on to the next figure so it comes down rather quickly, which doesn't help my balance what so ever, to stay on time with the music and to stay connected to my partner.

13. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

During a develope my coach always drilled that you need to stay parallel with your partner and to never let your shoulders go past your standing foot if you want to keep your own balance, then your leg is a direct result of that, such as how high you can get it at that point. You should also not try to get your leg as high as you can because 1. You don't really have that much time in the music and 2. You aren't getting any extra points for getting it higher than anyone else. Clean and simple routines are always better than fancy routines with lots of tricks

14. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

Personally, I find the the angle of the leg to body is what makes a pleasing line, not the height. So 22 1/2 or 45 degrees is better than 90 for example. Because of physics, holding a 90 degree developé is more difficult than when the leg goes higher, but it is good to work on, because better to not have to need all your strength and flexibility when performing. In the best Russian ballet classes, the students develope and then hold their leg up forever (i.e. 8 counts or more) to build strength. I did not believe it when I saw it.

15. vit

vit Active Member

Stash, have in mind that it's nice to practice ballet version of the develope, but ballroom version is different (as Larinda said on the first page). As you noticed, you have to squeese it into short time. Lifting the leg quickly has different affect to the body than doing it slow due to additional physical forces. You have to somehow counteract with the upper body and I see no physical explanation that shoulders can stay exactly over the standing foot as smidra's coach suggested, which is also evident from several videos I checked. Another way of reducing disbalance is straightening the leg after the knee is already going down (also easy explainable using elementar physics) and they do it on all videos I checked, unlike in ballet version (I'm not saying it's the only way, nor most beautiful one, but obviously the easiest).

stash likes this.
  16. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Are you falling forward? Backward? Left or right? These would indicate different problems.

17. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Ok. Speaking of timing, how much time is too much time? This is something my partner and I have talked about. Clearly, if given more time I can be better balanced as I don't feel rushed. We usually take 2 bars of music for the oversway (to get in and out) but how much time should we give the develope? Make it musical won't work on us because my partner and I are at a disagreement of what musical means for this figure :p

18. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

In syllabus you get one measure to put your standing leg down, raise your free leg, and bring it back down. On open... take as much time as you please.

19. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I keep trying to tell my partner that... Maybe he's just really excited to get into that same foot lunge -_-

20. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

In your partner's defense ... same foot lunges are super cool. ^_^