Dancers Anonymous > !!DF appreciation thread!!

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by elisedance, Oct 19, 2008.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

It occurred to me that we don't have anywhere to recognize all the many people who contribute to keep DF a great site. So this is the place!! I hope that we can then accumulate a record of the positive aspects of DF - be they extra effort to keep the place running, really creative ideas - both DF features and contributions, kindess, or expertise on dance method. This is PERSONAL thanks, go ahead and tell us who :)

MAJOR RULE: Positive comments ONLY!! This is NOT for any kind of critique, personal, operational or general. Any negative contributions will be removed.

[Note: if you need to give feedback on anything you do not like, I suggest you do that privately to a Mod of your choice.]

So I will start off since I've been itching to do this:

We will no doubt get to all the mods in turn but an especial BIG THANKS to fascination who is always here, works tirelessly to keep DF clean of spam and such, makes innumerable pithy and constructive comments and is just all around neat. [Despite having the best personal practice floor on the planet: yeah, I'm still jealous :envy:]. :applause:

2. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Well I think everyone on here is lovely/helpful. So much so I could put slices of bread on the side of everybodies head and eat you all up like a sandwich/roll/bap/insert american name for bread here [​IMG]

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

hmmm...wow...you know you've been around too long when the first thing you do is worry about the possible repercussions of a thread like this: hurt feelings, lack of acknowlegement of someone who deserves it, popularity issues...BUT, okay, going to suspend my cynicism for the moment and say thank you for your very kind words elise and for having taken the time to think of a way to be supportive of what is good about DF (though I think it still may prompt folks to say what is bad about DF and we aren't going to have a thread for that...that is for the staff mailbox or p.m)....so obviously if we begin to have a push for the negative counterpart due to this thread, then both would have to go...hopefully this one can stay...perhaps this can just be viewed as a more specific gratitude thread...

and to that end my gratitude for today goes to:

wooh and IJ for all of the silent contributions they make to keep the mod informed and up to date...

4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Have to bring up TC here. Not for work omderating (though that is appreciated), but all the work searching out threads for people and posting links to them.

5. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Dance pro - for her generous top-level advice on ballroom following....

6. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

I am just gonna say I love all on here. Everyone is warm, kind, generous, thoughtful, gives great advice, helps with solutions, gives ideas and can even give a great slap in the head when needed! LOL

Thanks for all everyone does! I have learned so much and continue to glean new information everyday!

7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

thanks to SD and DM for providing and caretaking a place for all us dancers to gather and talk.

8. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Elise, I've often sent out silent thanks to people on this board, and actually considered starting a thread like this. What stopped me was mainly the fear of forgetting someone important ... I would do a mental list and not know when to stop. There are so many who have made the experience here on DF something I am drawn back to again and again.

I miss pygmalion's insights, I love following samina's journeys through various new discoveries, fascination's gentle reminders about tone and her wise advice, Peaches' sense of humor, Laura's knowledge, TC's sense of humor and ability to find lost threads, etp's enthusiasm and openness, and Larinda's helpfulness. I am in awe of the technical knowledge of tangotime, Chris Stratton, dancepro, and so many others. Not to mention elise herself (I really missed you when you were gone), and T_E, and .... and ....

If I try to mention everyone who has affected the way I think of dancing, I wouldn't know where to stop. I know I've left out some VERY important contributors, but that's partly deliberate. By leaving so many obvious omissions, I leave all those omitted in excellent company ...

Edited to add: Of course I have to thank ALL the moderators because they keep DF civilized. When personal attacks and rudeness are not permitted, it is easier to exchange information and have fun. The friendly atmosphere here is one reason that I feel so comfortable sharing my thoughts. The moderators know when to allow a little light-hearted joking and when to step in with some guidance. You do a great job ... thanks.

9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

think I'm going to use this thread like the gratitude thread, a chance to thank someone on DF on a daily basis!

a thanks to fascination for being around to commiserate with.

10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I had the same thought but then realized that you do not have to thank everyone at one time - do it as you feel it. Eventually we will get through your list of 'general thanks' and then I hope we will identify specifics - nice things that you see on a day to day basis.

:kissme: I really missed everyone here and once I accepted that no such place could be perfect (as for any association of people, be it a dance studio or town) I realized that to some extent I was 'cutting my nose off to spite my face' and I must say that making the decision to come back was for me a very good one.

Part of the reason for starting this thread was to help retain all the lovely people here - its important to recognize contributions to keep people active and to stop a possible feeling of alienation. And there are a lot of people who put in a lot of time and effort to keep this place alive that we should treasure I hope this helps if just a little bit.

11. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Well, I'm very new around here, but it's great that all of the members have made it such a fun place to spend time on. So, thanks to everyone, and especially to all the admins and mods, forums don't run themselves!

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

and back at you for countless times trying to inject some common sense into me...in spite of the danger;)

13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Too true! Which is why I would like to thank all of the mods--current and past--who have been part of the team that keeps things running here at DF. As someone who knows exactly how much of their work remains invisible (such as deleting hundreds of spam posts every week) I think few appreciate exactly how much effort they put into making DF the place it is. So again, my deepest appreciation to all those who have ever shouldered some of the responsability when asked... David & I certainly couldn't keep up without all of their help.

14. elisedance

elisedance New Member

DITTO - LG was next on my list, such a great attitude and gentle hand.... bet you are one heck of a rhumba dancer :)