Dancers Anonymous > DF Family Reunion -- Location, Location, Location!

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Sep 25, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

It looks like our first annual Dance Forums Family Reunion may actually happen, and soon! :D To move forward, we need your input on possible locations. Please submit your vote. Also feel free to post comments.

After this first event is successful, we may plan other events, rotating locations and/or dance styles. Please chime in. Everybody's vote counts. :D

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

We have a tie . . . as of right now!

3. pygmalion

If you vote for other, please post or PM your alternative suggestion, and I'll add it to the poll. Then, maybe your event will get chosen. Thanks. :D

Jenn

4. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I voted for Monterey, of course!! Weeeeeeeee! This is so exciting!! :D :D :D

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Way to go, Pam . . . close drive for you, eh?

6. dancergal

dancergal New Member

It's funny that we don't go to Monterey very often, but it's a very pretty town. It takes us probably 40 to 45 mins. to get there. I'd love to go more often and take photos of the beautiful coast line. The Aquarium photos in my album were taken at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I'd like to go back one day and take more photos and next time write down the names of the various marine life so I can label my photos better. :)

7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Here's another suggestion...how about the IDF in Daytona from Jan. 4-10? You can check it out HERE.

Some advantages...group classes, privates available, social dancing, competitions in all levels.

8. d nice

d nice New Member

Actually I vote for a completely different event.

Reno Dance Sensation March 25-28, 2004. Combined event with West Coast, Salsa and Lindy Hop (and all the associated cross dances, NC2, Texas 2-Step, Merengue, Balboa, Colligiate Shag, Carolina Shag, East Coast Swing, etc.).

Flights to gambling centers tend to be cheap, you can find all sorts of great hotel and meal deals etc.

Going to be an awesome time.

9. SDsalsaguy

Sounds like a cool event Damon, just seems like our ballroom dancers might get short shrifted. Do you know if there are any ballroom studios in that area with socials, etc., that would overlap time-wise?

10. d nice

d nice New Member

I don't know but I could find out. To be truthfull I don't think any one dance event is going to have all the dances represented. It will either be a ballroom event which has approximations of salsa and swing (I've never been to a ballroom event that had proper music for lindy hop) or a "club" dance event that will cater to one type of dance.

Reno has three of the big "club" dances. I figured that would be a pretty good one, since the Ballroom dancers would still be able to do their latin, and swing

11. pygmalion

I'll also scout around for ballroom events in NV. Any location works fine for me, since we've pretty much decided that the first one will be in the west. An airplane ride is a ride, regardless. So whatever the rest of you decide is okay with me.

I'm just putting in my two cents worth for next time. Florida is a beautiful place, and the number one tourist destination in the world. Lots of fun stuff, here. Just keep that in mind, for 2004-2005! :lol: :lol:

12. dancergal

dancergal New Member

D-nice, I agree! I think this event looks really fun! Can I vote for this one too as a second on my list?

13. dancer at heart

dancer at heart New Member

:eek: I have not seen any ad for this event before! Sounds like a lot of fun...can I add another vote for this as well :D

14. pygmalion

Multiple votes? :shock: *gasp*

Okay, I guess. We have no clear consensus yet, so I'll let the poll run a few more days and see what we get.

15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I could also do the Reno . . . Monterey 1st and Reno 2nd.

16. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I'll be at the Monterey event anyway as well. So whoever else wants to meet there, let me know. I could still do the Reno one too if anyone else is going, but it's not an event we usually go to.

17. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I certainly can't think of the best place, but a suggestion here is in any area that has a local USABDA chapter which holds a dance on a regular basis. This since all dances are represented and not any one particular style.

Not suggesting Tucson, but I think the USABDA officers here would love to see such a thing as people from out of town coming in for a dance. Maybe others would as well.

18. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

The Reno even sounds really fun! The liklihood of me actually being able to go is fairly slim... It's right in the middle of my semester... but I've had classmates and friends go on weekend excursions.... hmmmm.... way too soon to tell but it sounds delightful!

Did anyone else notice that d nice will be teaching there? :wink:

19. pygmalion

Aha! That explains how he knew about it when even advanced googling gave no hints! Ha! :lol: :wink:

20. SDsalsaguy

I might not be able to get up there for the whole time, but the Reno event is workable for me.

[This is my 1,000th DF post!!!]