Salsa > DF's Commandments of Salsa -- Our Dance

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by borikensalsero, Aug 10, 2004.

1. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

The 10 Commandments

1)Thou Shalt dance with your partner
    While I think the music is of outmost importance in Salsa, the ultimate feat of salsa dancing is indeed dancing with your partner! For as the band plays with each other creating the music for us to feel as the creation of many sounds into one band, one music, one song, so must the couple using each other to mesh into one another and “indirectly” become the last instruments of the band. Hence, I must agree with SDsalsaguy and stress partners becoming one (dancing with each other) over any other. After all, partner dancing is what Salsa is in us to be, if missing of either instrument (lead or follow) in the dance, dancing we are not.

2)Thou Salseros & Salseras must dance in rhythm with the music.
    Rhythm I stress second for to dance salsa we must dance to the rhythm, if rhythm we are dancing not, then impossible will commandment #3 be. Rhythm here I mean it as not numbers but rather the use of commandment #1 to feel a rhythm followed by the couple within the music that causes the creation of commandment #3. Without #1, there is no #2, and without #2 there is no dance, hence, no #3.

3)Thou Salsero must lead their Salsera properly & make her feel like she is the best dancer in the world while they are dancing
    The lady, as the representation of all desire in a music that seeks to elevate two people into the gates of heaven, must become the world. For if the leader seeks to elevate the dance to pure ecstasy the queen being enthroned must become, for there can be no king in a queen-less Kingdome… and feeling is the only way to create a queen from a princes that feels not ready.

4)Thou Shalt be kind to beginners, for verily were thou once a beginner thyself
    The sing of a successful kingdom with a fruitful future is the nurturing of its community! The seamless incorporation of all members from king to peasant to feel as if no part is better than one another, a community where the peasant is as important to the success of the kingdom as the king, knights, and clergy—a utopian society where the whole will always be less without any of its parts, not the sign of a new whole. A community that embraces the new as if he or she were the old!

5) Thou Salseros & Salseras in their local Salsa communities must dance with people beyond their cliques & inner circle of friends. Salsa is a dance of conversation and Thou Salseros & Salseras communicate to every one they dance with.
    The interaction between upper-middle-lower classes in a kingdom in search of a future must at all times be present, for the casting of its members yields the beginnings of prejudices possibly causing misunderstanding and ultimately resulting in a civil disarray and war. Difference must be stressed as the uniqueness we all accept as the creation and what keeps this kingdom fertile.

6) Thou Shalt honor the physical boundaries of thy partner at all times and treat them with respect.
    A kingdom with no regard to thy neighbor can only lead to attitudes that eventually care not for commandment #2, hence the beginning of destruction and all social order as established by the commandments! For we must always remember first respect to thy self, is the respect to thy neighbor! For they shall always want to be treated like thou shalt want thy parents to be treated.

7) Thou Shalt Practice Floorcraft and not step on thy neighbor's toes
    The when, why, and how of all members of the kingdom must be of outmost importance in the creation of movement, for the destruction of little toes can result in kingdom not able to join the beats of percussion as its members are unable to search a fulfillment… Floor-craft creates the infrastructure that will forever guide its riders.

8- Thou Shalt proclaim the glories of Salsa to thy friends and get them into a one-hour lesson at a club.
    A mean to spread the word of this utopian kingdom is to let others experience what here has been created. By bringing thy friends to this world they shall see utopia in present manifestation, ultimately denying not what they see and desiring to be part of this very world of which only their experience of shall be proclamation enough to join. For the members of this kingdom shall not seek with force to display a truth that only needs experiencing!

9) Thou DF Salseros must dance with Thy DF Salseras during our lifetimes.
    A kingdom where members do not seek to experience each other is kingdom not at all, but mockery of one. Must we seek to share our very reality with each other :wink:

10) Thou Salseros & Salseras must hear their clave at all times
    While understanding that the Clave isn’t audible at all times, we must strive to hear it, feel it, for the very creation of the dance we desire is built upon the very roots of the clave. Salsa would be not with out clave, therefore clave must we become. Time is of no factor, but rather the search for one, take as long as it may need, for the longing is for becoming not how fast we get there...

2. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Our Prayer

Our Dance,
    which art in our soul.
    Salsa be thy name,
    Thy music will be played,
    Thy will be danced with body, mind and soul.
    Give us this day our daily dance,
    and forgive us for stepping on toes,
    as we forgive those who steppeth on our toes,
    and lead us not into judging other dances,
    but deliver us from our ego.
    Amen.

By - Tasek

3. salsalawyer

salsalawyer New Member

Amen my brother, teach on!!! :p

4. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

WOW!!! boriken....:notworth: no words my friend.....no words!!!

I love commandement #5......it is the one that is MOST neglected!!

5. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

The credit really goes to mhgroove, and all the members who devoted time to come up with the list. I merely re-aranged it a bit. Thank you very much though, JamacianSpice! :D :D

6. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

Well alrighty then!!! thanks to ALL YA'LL then!! :lol: :lol: and good job on the editing :D

by the way I'm coming on Friday Boriken :D

7. mhgroove

mhgroove New Member

Boriken,

Thanks for re-crafting the words to our 10 Commandments of Salsa. Much Appreciated!!!!

Jamaican Spice...I'm pleased you like Commandment 5. I've gone out to many, many clubs since I've become a salsero and I see the cliques and if you're not a part of that group...people get snobbish. That's ridiculous!! All Salseros & Salseras should dance together as much as possible.

8. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

Well I guess I'll find out for myself while I'm there then...... 8)

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

d nice forgive them, for they know not what they are doing . . .

10. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

:D , that should have been #1... :D

11. passion

passion New Member

Those commandments should be printed and posted and passed out all salsa events! You guys truely have it down! Thank you!!! :D

12. mhgroove

mhgroove New Member

Passion,

I'm glad you like our commandments! They should be printed, posted, and passed out at all salsa events! :D :D

13. jenn

jenn New Member

very cool! 8)

not only should these be posted at salsa places, every beginner salsero/a should learn it! then the salsa world would be salsa heaven!! 8)

thanks for sharing that!

14. SalsaWinnipeg

SalsaWinnipeg New Member

Can it be posted on other sites?

I was wondering if I can post these commendments on my site :?:
    I just got the SalsaWinnipeg.com up and running and I think it would be great to let our Salseros & Salseras to read these.

15. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Heya SalsaWinnipeg, please see the PM I just sent you. :D

16. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I second that. This should be with us at all ties while dancing the lovely salsa!

Twilight Elena

P.s. I wonder what the Ballroom commandments are...

17. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

You want to work on those? :wink: :)

18. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

We should post a subject at the ballroom thread and tell people about it!
    Me? Of course I'll contribute, Sagitta, though people more experienced than myslef can say more accurate things.

Twilight Elena

19. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Those are GREAT commandments, words to live by, although regarding the first one...If there is no one around to dance with I can be perfectly happy dancing solo! ABSOLUTELY! 8)

20. Claire_Brummell

Claire_Brummell New Member

I agree completely - I think that if everybody could incorporate these into their salsa lives the salsa community would be so much better for it!!

You guys have it spot on! :D