Tango Argentino > Difference between shoes?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by dancinrina, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Bastet, have you tried Flabella shoes? They do have very nice padding, and the overall quality is very similar to Neotango's.

2. bastet

bastet Active Member

I've tried them on before, and thought they were ok. My problem with the ones that were available to me was I am quite tired of plain black and red being my only choices and their styles seem to be a little more traditional than I prefer and I didn't like the balance on some of their heels. In the ones I tried on, the sizing didn't seem very standard and had variation that would make me wary of purchasing if I couldn't try them on. I feel I am pretty safe ordering Neotango's because I'm 90% sure a 36 will fit me.

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

That's because the Latin dancers are aiming for speed, and loose shoes hinder foot speed and the body speed that must be founded on that. It's not quite as critical for tango.

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Huh. Makes sense. Never heard that before. ...ouch...

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

That, and they also want to be able to "feel the floor," which you can't do well in a loose shoe.

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I think that depends on the definition of "loose" and what you mean by feeling the floor. It's not we dance with shoes flopping around and feet slipping inside of AT shoes; but we do tend to actually buy a size that fits rather than deliberately dropping down a size or two or whatever. Personally, mine are very snug--but I'm not cutting off circulation or walking around in pain waiting for things to stretch out. As for feeling the floor, a certain amount of that goes into AT as well. Probably not the same sort of feeling, but it happens (something which I only came to realize once I'd danced AT in court shoes, and realized that I couldn't feel the floor).

7. bastet

bastet Active Member

I've heard this disscussed before somewhere and that caused me to ponder the point (trying to remember back to BR dancing). So I'm trying to think of another reason why I don't like my AT shoes tight because I like to be able to have flexibility in a shoe and feel the floor in AT (holdover from my BR I'm sure on extreme flexibility).

My intuition about it says it may have something to do with both the way we use our balance and posture for AT. Or...it could be that it's just because I'm old(er) now, but my feet seem to take a lot more of a beating with the things that are asked of me in AT, and I need to feel like my shoe isn't constricting me as much as possible.

I also think the average life span of a tango shoe is meant to be a bit longer than the average life of a latin shoe, so maybe also in a latin shoe having things tight wears it out faster (materials are lighter as well) whereas if it is just fitting "comfortably" then your maybe aren't wearing the bits out so fast...who knows...I just know it doesn't work well to buy very tight tango shoes.

8. bastet

bastet Active Member

Maybe i should have started a thread for this but I guess I'll post it here. Some of you expressed some interest in the purple paisley Comme Il Fauts. I've got those and a couple of other shoes (in another size) listed on the Bay....there 3 more pair going up tomorrow, one more pair of CiF and a pair of Neotangos and a pair of Aris Allen Rugcutter's a friend of mine couldn't wear...her feet are just too wide- but they are so comfy for practicing.

http://stores.ebay.com/Bastets-Beads_Other_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

9. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Wow.. those are pretty! Unfortunately I have a hard and fast rule about slingbacks. I MUST have a heel cage. Love the fabric though!

10. bastet

bastet Active Member

Yeah- I've had the heel cage debate with numerous people. I like sling backs because my heel is a little narrow and my toes are chubby...so the flexible sling back accomodates the narrow heel and I don't get any rubbing. The stay put, also, because the angle CiF uses on the ankle strap and the sling itself make it stable...most people think they wouldn't be stable, and you'd wobble, but you don't at least not in Cif or Neotango's.

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you're reminding me... i've got a pair of purple suede tara tango shoes i haven't worn i *ages*.

gonna hafta find a reason to wear those things...

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Um, take up tango? :D

13. bastet

bastet Active Member

14. Lilly_of_the_valley

I like the Neotango pair very much, but the heels might be too high for me, unfortunately. Maybe I should try if the price is right....
    Have you considered setting the "buy it now" option for the burgundy Comme il faut pair?

15. bastet

bastet Active Member

I have, but at the same time, they have been worn quite a bit and so in those cases I usually let ebay take it's course with them and let people set their own value. The only ending values I am familiar with are average ending values for pairs that have been worn less than 3-4 times.

16. Zoopsia59

On the subject of shoe styles... I guess I'm a heretic. I don't care what the shoe is "designed" for. Since I'm not an advanced ballroom or latin dancer, I buy shoes with a fit and feel I like, and I tend to choose which ones to wear for different dances based on heel height and how my legs and feet feel at the moment (although sometimes what goes with my dress plays a part).

I'm not going to be doing ECS in my highest stillettos, but sometimes my legs and feet aren't really interested in even doing tango in my highest heels. I also choose heel heights based on who seems to be at the milonga. My partner is a good height for us to dance close with me wearing stilletos. Many of the other leaders I like for close aren't any taller than me when I'm in flats, so I don't like the way we fit if I'm wearing super high heels.

I tend to like all my shoes to fit snug and mold somewhat to my foot (even street shoes) but they can't be uncomfortably tight to start, just snug. My first pair of ballroom shoes is quite loose now in the winter and almost have to be "my feet are swollen cuz its hot" shoes. I was surprised they stretched so much.

I also don't like strappy shoes. I can deal with peep toes, but not most sandals. (generally, the minimum amount of coverage I want is that my little toe is completely covered.) If it weren't so hard to get interesting fabrics and styles, all my shoes would be closed toe and full heel cage, with suede soles. I've tried the "street finish" leather soles, and felt I was sliding all over the place... maybe its the floors where I dance most of the time.

However, a well known teacher that I really liked advised me in a private lesson to get open toed shoes so that my toes can spread fully for better control... So I've ben shopping and considering her advice.

So I don't buy shoes for a specific dance purpose, I buy shoes for dancing... any kind of social dancing. If you watch the older tangueras, many of them wear moderate heels and classic styles. But since you are mesmerized by the WHOLE person, rather than just watching the feet, you don't even think to question their choice. There may be stage dancers now that wear flashy strappy stilletos, but many performers stick with the classics. Danced well, even a solid black pair of 1-1/2 heels can look proffesional and world class.

17. Lilly_of_the_valley

Not to start a new thread for self-promotion... I am cleaning the closet, and will be selling some of my Comme il Fauts, along with other dancing shoes, on eBay. Please, PM me if interested, I will send you links to my auctions.

18. Zoopsia59

Size?

19. Lilly_of_the_valley

I listed a pair of Comme il Fauts in size 7, a pair of TangoWear that I believe to be size 7.5, along with a few pairs of ballroom and street shoes in sizes 6, 6.5.

20. Zoopsia59

Has anyone ever ordered shoes from the Tango Goods ebay website? They have 2 pairs I like as a basic general purpose non-stilleto shoe, but I've never heard of them to know anything about their shoes. I desperately need a new pair for all round use and practice, and they must be a certain "not too high, not too low" heel.