Salsa > Different salsa "uniforms"

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by yippee1999, Apr 13, 2007.

1. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

I saw a thread on the AT forum, and thought it would be fun to talk about salsa "uniforms". What do you like to wear when dancing salsa, and why? What looks do you really like on others, or not so much? Do you think the salsa look is pretty standard worlwide, or do some countries get more dressed-up than others?

What I love about going out salsa dancing is that I feel it gives me the license to dress more sexy than I would elsewhere. I like wearing tight jeans with heels, showing a little bare back and/or belly at times, bare arms etc. Normally I would never dress this way walking around the city, as I don't like that kind of attention from random guys on the street. But somehow my outfits all feel "right" at salsa venues. :--)

I've never worn a skirt or dress yet salsa dancing, although I am looking forward to doing so sometime. I think I'll feel so "pretty", being in a swirly dress and dancing! But I think I'll always prefer slim/tight pants, as it just feels more conducive to down and dirty salsa, versus in a dress or skirt.

I love the towel-hanging-out-of-the-back-pocket look on guys. While a towel really is essential for certain guys and/or at certain (HOT) venues, I think for others it's worn as more or less a salsa fashion accessory.

Oh, and there's another look for some women... where they'll wear sweat-type pants rolled up at the bottom, and they'll wear socks with their dance shoes (sandals). This seems to be more of a "dancer" look.

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i usually do black pants & a low-key top. in the summer, i like low-rise jeans & something see-thru-ish. i've got a red silk halter dress that's been great to dance in... those nights have always been the best, both my dancing & the partners i've attracted. very fun vibe.

my fave club in jersey has hand dryers on the wall in the bathroom, and i can go in there a few times throughout the night and blowdry my hair & clothes nice & dry. i've never received anything but knowing & appreciative looks from every woman who walks into the place. :)

3. spectator

spectator Member

I've seen guys with a bar towel. That's just gross, surely they don't intend to use it on themselves?

4. Pacion

Pacion New Member

If it is a 'bar' towel, I would much rather they use it on themselves, than on me! :? :lol:

If it is a bath towel or hand towel, I don't mind them using it as it means that they are aware of and interested in keeping their perspiration/sweat to themselves! :banana:

5. noobster

noobster Member

Dunno about different countries. In other cities where I've danced, people dress up more. I guess in those cities the dancing scene was more club-based than social-based. At NY socials I see a lot of people wearing jeans, sweats, leggings, muscle shirts, and the ubiquitous on2 tee shirt.

I'm not a big fan of dressing up in the first place, and salsa is such a sweaty activity that I'd be afraid to wear any clothing I actually liked. Plus the clothing has to not restrict, not overheat, and not have the flash factor. That's a lot to demand and *also* have it look good. In the summer I do cheap flimsy dresses that ventilate well. In the winter I just do jeans and tank tops.

Yeah, I hate the socks-with-sandals look. I suspect it's an accommodation to stretched-out shoes. I've considered doing it myself as my heels are way too stretched out and I am slipping around in them; but I think the slip factor of sock-in-heel might be worse than the poor fit. :(

Towel-in-the-back-pocket: Yes, I like it! That worn with jazz shoes means, "hello, I am a dancer and not a creepy middle-aged man trying to get cuddly." Not a problem at a social, but clubs are a different story.

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Towel? I wear black slacks without pant pockets so not something i would do. Black plants with wide legs so that they enlarge my movement in a positive way. Tops change...but, usually end up in a T-shirt so I don't overheat. Flip flops usually at the botoom, on my feet.

For ladies? I like dresses.

7. jenibelle

jenibelle New Member

hahaha, i often wear socks with my dance shoes but they're always super cute socks and i roll them over like leg warmers :):) to each his own, eh?

8. Catarina

Catarina New Member

I would love to be able to wear jeans a a cute tank top when I go out dancing, but I find jeans too hot and too restrictive. I usually end up in black pants and a tank top/halter 9 times out of 10. I still have yet t oinvest in "real" shoes, so I get to show up in my fun little payless shoes adn then put on my jazz shoes...I think jewelry is the funnest part of my outfit--earrings, necklace & then a little eyeshadow to match. To me, that's the part of the outfit that makes me feel like I'm going salsa dancing, not just out for the night.
    For guys, I think the more fitted t-shirt with jeans and then dance shoes is the outfit i see the most (with the towel--you're totally right yipee!).

9. spectator

spectator Member

definately a bar towel, in the pub i work in they are used to mop up beer and wipe out ash trays.

10. SalsaTO

SalsaTO New Member

One Guy's Perspective

There nothing more graceful than dancing with and turning a woman wearing a flowing or flippy skirt or dress and stilettos if they can manage them, or dancing shoes, or flats.

The skirt rising and falling on the turns amplifies the grace and the sensuality that is salsa. A flash of leg adds to the mystery and that sensuality. The whole room sits up and takes notice when she moves and turns with her partner.

High cut or low cut top, a woman's comfort zone calls that shot.

And, there is nothing like a guy wearing either a dress shirt or a tight dark tee shirt and a pair of dark slacks or trousers. Dress shoes complete the picture.

The romantic quality of a couple dressed that way and moving to the music is priceless.

Faded or patched jeans, rags hanging out of the back pocket, track suits, running shoes, sloppy tees, baseball caps. 'do rags, belong at home or in the studio, not out in public.

Get sweaty dancing? Take a short walk to the washroom and wipe off with a towel there, not on the dance floor - yes, I've seen it. And yes, bring a spare shirt if the first one gets soaked through.

The old saw, "clothes make the man or woman" is never truer than on the dance floor. Please, please don't take casual and squeeze it 'til it screams.

11. noobster

noobster Member

Hm. I don't really *want* to be noticed. I am all about the blend. :)

I never felt dumber than the time I wore a red dress to a salsa event, and everyone else was in jeans. Plus it turned out to be an A-list event - a bunch of teachers and other assorted superstars came out and iMambo.tv was there filming - and I stuck out like a sore thumb, and not in a good way.

In general I dislike knowing that people are watching me dance. It kills my buzz. (It won't stop me from dancing on an empty floor if I'm really in the mood; but I'm always happier with a few other couples around for camouflage.)

12. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

SalsaTo

there is an intermediate option - dress well, but not too flashy. I like to wear nice jeans and a t-shirt. I carry around a kercheif or a towel, sometimes in my back pocket, but sometimes tugged in bag for quick access.

noobster - maybe SalsaTo is an A list dancer ;)

13. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Short flimsy dresses.....so you can make the men happy.

I'm like you in this. I don't like being noticed too much, but not all people are like this.

14. tindancer

tindancer New Member

I got to admit, too casual drops the general mood of salsa. Then again, do you care about people looking at you or do you get lost in your own world when you dance.

Personally, i enjoy having my partner all dressed up and sexy. High heels, flowy skirt, engaging colours, the works.
    I guess if guys feel this way, women must as well. I should try being a bit more concious of my own attire.

15. Sabor

Sabor New Member

speedos

16. noobster

noobster Member

I don't doubt it. ;) I was just pointing out that his recommendations may not hold for the rest of us.

But I doubt that in some alternate universe where I were an A-list dancer, I would want to stick out like that anyway. I am still a baby dancer in my home scene, but I've danced at some non-dancer and non-NYC venues where my partner and I were the only ones who really knew how to dance at all, and people were definitely staring (and sometimes clapping). The attention was positive, but it still made me very uncomfortable.

I just don't like people watching me do stuff, even stuff I am good at. I am not particularly good at salsa yet; but I am, e.g., a very good draftsman, and I hate hate hate it when people watch me draw. They can look at it when I'm done if they like, but *please* don't stand over my shoulder and stare while I'm working.

17. tj

tj New Member

I usually wear jeans & a button down shirt when I go dancing. And yeah, I'm guilty of the towel thing, too, lol.

I have come across places that don't allow jeans. That's fine as there are plenty of choices in most cities, so I just skip that particular venue.

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Oh...I don't really care who is watching or not. I'm there to dance and the others can do what they please as long as they do not get in my way on the dance floor. ;-)

19. GTO Bruin

GTO Bruin Member

Actually, a lot of cities don't have plenty of choices of venues. Perhaps multiple places in a given week (if your lucky), But on a particular night, there is usually only one or two hot spots.

20. carrigallen

carrigallen New Member

if you wear black jeans, they don't notice it. :D