Salsa > Different salsa "uniforms"

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by yippee1999, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

:eyebrow: that will definately get you some attention

2. tj

tj New Member

I guess it would be more accurate to say that I skip that night.

One time when I was visiting Chicago, I couldn't get in one of the salsa clubs with black jeans.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

describes my BF, who always has a towel handy and will pop it into his back pocket. i'm not saying it's a look that works for me, but i appreciate his consideration. he is the sweatiest dancer alive, period.

4. salsamale

salsamale New Member

If you don't want to wear a skirt, but still want that "swirly" effect, a babydoll blouse, worn over jeans or slacks (or speedo bottoms), is nice :).

5. tj

tj New Member

I dunno - I don't think Sabor would look good that way.

:rolleyes:

6. salsamale

salsamale New Member

I'm sure Sabor has a move or two, where his partner's babydoll blouse ends up on him (or on the floor) :).

7. dansah

dansah New Member

For me: black on black. Light cotton soft collared full button down shirt, preferably short sleeved or rolled. Untucked. Sometimes with light pattens of grey, silver. Pants of same fabrics or high quality black jeans (Hugo Boss makes good ones) . Dance sneakers (Nike Air) or Ballroom Shoes for slow floors and upscale venues.
    For her: Whatever looks good to her but... Straps should stay on shoulders, sleeves shouldn't catch my hand, barrettes should stay attached to her head, skirt shouldn't catch her heel, shoes shouldn't hurt after an hour, body parts that she wants covered should remain so without having to worry about it.
    ? for ladies- do you prefer a guy's T or buttoned shirt tucked or not?

8. terremoto

terremoto New Member

Dansah - as far as the tucked or untucked look (I'm a guy by the way) I generally start out tucked in - but then I have to go untucked because once I start spinning with my arms up the shirt just comes out. And I really don't feel like having to tuck it in after every dance.

As far as my favorite salsa outfit :) well, I have a gold shirt that my brother bought as a joke. He said it reminded him of a couch we had in the 70's - its a flowered gold shirt. Anyways, the shirt turned out to be a good salsa shirt with some black slacks and black suede salsa shoes. I like it because it looks flashy and it helps me stand out in a crowd - I've never seen anyone else wearing the shirt. But outside of a salsa club it sort of looks silly :)

9. dansah

dansah New Member

Then you should try Tommy Bahama shirts. Great fabric in terms of heat, a bit flashy but probably a style that you'd like.

10. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Used to dress in black all over, but not anymore. Now I am trying to use flashier colours.

Of course, most of the time I wear jeans and some skimpy top, but this is because I am going out directly from my studio and I cannot go home from the office (the break between 5 PM when I finish work and 6:45 PM when the classes start is just not enough). This means I have to back pack my outfit (I don't have a car and, given the traffic here, I don't even want one).

But sometimes I do dress flashy and I love the attention I get on those ocasions (on top pf everybody staring at me 'cause I teach, now they have an extra reason!).

11. miukat

miukat New Member

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I feel that going out requires a going-out outfit. Yes, it's true, I'm always overdressed for every occaision, but I'm used to it. When I go salsa dancing, I always wear some skanky-hoochie outfit. I feel more confident when I'm dancing in a dress, with dance shorts-of course-preferably with pockets, so I don't have to bring a bag. Since I try to dance with as many different people as I can, I think that it helps get me noticed so that I never have to sit out a dance. (yes, I'm one of those girls who never asks a guy to dance,unless I know him.) Also, I don't get out much. If I didn't get dressed up to go dancing, when would I? Most of my dresses/outfits are bought in thrift shops or discount junior-type stores in questionable Brooklyn neighborhoods for about $15. Hey, it makes me happy.:D

12. salsamarty

salsamarty New Member

In the San Francisco area it depends on the night of the week. Sun - Wednesday it is mostly casual. Thursday - Saturday people get dressed up. People dress up more for clubs than the regular salsa nights at the dance studios. For women it is mostly dresses but there are plenty of jeans. The guys are mostly pretty boring in their dress.

For myself . . . I take the Tommy Bahama route which someone mentioned earlier. It's loose and comfortable when it is hot. The shirt is untucked. There are plenty of TB shirts that are subtle. It's a little on the dressy side which is almost never out of place in the SF clubs

13. SalsaTO

SalsaTO New Member

Salsa Uniforms - Skirts for the Ladies

Nope, not an A List Dancer by any means, but possibly a bit old fashioned or maybe it's a generational thing. I *never* wear jeans for a salsa night, too casual. I save jeans for working in the garden. I don't wear sleeveless shirts or tops. Who wants to see my hairy pits when I turn. And I never have a towel stuffed in my back pocket either. Almost got swatted by one that got away from its owner.. Looks like something from the gym, not a night club or a dance night. I occasionally bring a spare shirt and when I get too sweaty, I'll hit the head to wipe off there and then go outside for fresh air for a few minutes or stand close to the air conditioning draft to evaporate a bit.

I wear black cottons slacks with a black form fitting tee. When my partner comes out, she always wears a skirt - her choice not mine. If I wear a jacket, if appropriate, it stays on for one dance, then it comes off.

For the ladies, I'll always ask the one wearing a skirt to dance before the one wearing jeans. And despite whatever one reads, clothing does indeed make the man or the woman. A man always acts a little more civilized and gallant when dressed up. Fewer dirty words too. And a woman's charms shine a little brighter when she wears a skirt.

Last night Toronto's iFreestyle.ca had their Christmas party. Angus the instructor requested that people dress up. And this is a jeans and trackpants crowd that squeezes casual 'til it screams. they complied. What a treat! Nary a denim or a 'wifebeater' in sight. People were very elegant, they walked a little taller, manners were a little nicer and there something about the dynamic of the room... very very pleasant.

14. I really like your attitude, SalsaTO. I started dancing salsa in 1991 and then people still dressed up to go out to Latin venues. The Latin venues at that time in Germany were dominated by Latinos and they demonstrated us by their way to dress and dance how much class dance events can have. I absolutely loved it! I love well dressed guys and I loved to dress up to go out dancing (I still do but am rather used to it now).

I always dress up to go out salsa dancing, most of the time I wear a skirt or dress, sometimes I wear black pants, but not ordinary black pants, they have to have something fancy about them. I don't care what other people do, they can all go in jeans or rags, I will not. I can dance better and I feel better when dressed for the occasion.

I wear jeans only to work in the garden, go to the mall or to an outdoor fiesta where you take your camping chair and have to dance on the grass.

Jeans and similar clothes take a lot away from the dancing. Like you say, SalsaTO, clothes make people and a dancing event is always so much better and has so much more class when people are dressed well. And nothing better than to dance with a guy who is well dressed, has manners, can lead and smells good!

15. tj

tj New Member

Hey, to each their own. I like wearing jeans to salsa nights, and will skip nights that are "slacks" only.

16. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I actually am wearing jeans now because of the cold weather. Normally it is slacks.

17. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I usually wear jeans to clubs. Or sometimes black stretchy pants. I walk to most club nights and back so don't want to attract unwanted attention of passers-by late at night. Even when I don't have to walk, I very rarely wear skirts/dresses - only at congresses and "dress to impress" nights (and even then I might go for dressy pants) and/or when I need to travel really light.

When I started salsa, I dressed up more - because going out to dance was something special then, I suppose. Now I prefer a more casual look.

18. vey

vey New Member

Wow, that's a very precise description of how I feel about dressing for salsa outings!!!

I've never seen ladies wearing socks with dance shoes outside a dance studio (where it does serves a purpose, as someone mentioned earlier, to compensate for stretched shoes or to keep one's feet warm).

I don't mind people wearing jeans if a venue allows, though, for me personally they are too heavy and not stretchy enough.

19. noobster

noobster Member

Dance shorts with pockets?! Where'd you get those? I often avoid dresses and skirts just because of the no-pockets problem. (I have an arm wallet but it looks clunky and gets in the way. I used to just tuck my house key and Metrocard in my bra sometimes but that doesn't work for a big fat car key. More recently I've been using the SO as combination chauffeur and wallet-holder but I'd really prefer to keep my own stuff on my person.)

No way I'm going to wear clothing I actually like to an event where I'm likely to sweat right through it. Breathable, washable, flexible, durable clothing only. I have some cheap dresses dedicated to salsa - especially for warmer venues - but I'm just not interested in wrecking my nicer clothing by wearing it to a salsa venue.

I agree that people in muscle-shirts make a salsa social look like an athletic event; but really, it kind of is. I wouldn't wear a nice dress to play Ultimate either.

20. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I have an arm wallet but I wear it around my ankle.