General Dance Discussion > Dirty Dancing and other movies we love to gab about

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Swing Kitten, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Alright Kids... there you go ... have a ball!

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Great movie, but I need to make a few points:

1. It's not as much fun talking about it when it's ON topic. Much more fun when you're off on a tangent.
    2. Have you seen Jennifer Grey's nosejob? Thumbs up, or down? I think down.
    3. I heard that Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze hated each others guts during the filming. Gotta love the E! True Hollywood Story!
    4. youngsta should see this movie. The whole thing! :lol:

3. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Jennifer Grey looked better BEFORE the nosejob!! You can't even tell it's her now! Patrick Swaze is so so so so so SEXY... :oops: *swoon*

Does anyone want to see DD2: Havana Nights? I'm undecided, but will probably go see it just for the pure love of the first one.

Back to Patrick Swaze...how could anyone hate him?? Bad Jennifer..

What is your favorite part of the movie?
    I like to see Jonny dance with Baby when she brings the watermelon to the employee clubhouse. "I carried a WATERMELON??...." lol :lol:

4. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I think Jennifer Grey looks amazing with the new nose! She definitely doesn't look like the same person though. I'll force myself to see DD2 at the theater even though I think it will be bad. I mean it's salsa, I GOTTA go represent...and dance in the isle :lol:

5. pygmalion

Okay, youngsta, okay. I promise you I won't bug you about that movie anymore!

Talk to me about Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I absolutely loved that one. I was up on my feet, mimicking the karate moves, through the whole movie. Couldn't sit down at all.

And have you seen Medallion, the new Jackie Chan flick? Got really bad reviews here, but who cares? If it's got good karate moves, it's all right by me. You know the funny thing? I hated martial arts until I started Tae Kwon Do about a year ago. Now, karate chopping all over the house. Very cool. I've got a lot of martial arts classics to catch up on.

6. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

and you will too... :lol:

7. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

That's an understatement! Get to it! :lol: Gotta watch 'Five Deadly Venoms', 'Mastah Killa', and 'Kid With The Golden Arm'

8. pygmalion

Cool. Gotta fire up the ol' DVD player. :D

9. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Why you gonna tease SD like that?! :lol:

10. pygmalion

I thought about it, but I resisted. He has film to develop, so I don't want to be cruel. :D

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Actually, truth be told, I got a cash flow loan from my Dad, to tide me over until my student loan comes in later this month, and joined Sam's Club, so that I could go get my stockpile of film developed... :roll:

Have now been going through and sorting 3,000+ shots for the past ~48 hours...

12. pygmalion

I'm glad. I was thinking about you and that film. How frustrating to have all the information, but no access to it.

How do you fund your research? Write grants? Ask for in-kind contributions and guest passes, that kind of thing? Seems like grant money must be tight, unless you have a pretty powerful advisor.

13. pygmalion

SD,

I'm not asking you to plug yourself, you research, or your website. Honest. I know that's not how you are. But I am curious, because I've done a fair amount of fund-raising myself, in a former life. Just wanted to compare notes. If you like, send me a PM.

Jenn

14. SDsalsaguy

Honestly Jenn, I'm not entirely sure. It seems like I’m always scrounging to pay off my credit card bills for money that’s already been spent. I TA half the year (30 hours/week last year). I take out student loans. A few years ago my Grandmother (G-d bless her soul) passed away and left me some resources. The World Federation of Ballroom Dancers gave me a small grant. Last summer I had a small grant from my department. My parents have each done a little when they could. A couple of friends in the ballroom world have let me crash in their hotel rooms at times. Most event organizers have been very accommodating and comped me in (although others don't even have the courtesy to respond at all...even in the negative).

Grants are tight right now, and especially in the social sciences. Also, most granting agencies fund very specific things, i.e. "we fund 'A', they fund 'B', and the other one funds 'C'." Unfortunately – well, at least in this respect – my project doesn't fit neatly into any of their categories. In the long run, however, I also know that this is the strength of my research.

15. pygmalion

That's what I thought. Money for social sciences is tight. Let me talk to a friend I have. She's a tenured professor of psychology at another university, and she and her students never seem to want for grant money. Traveling all over the world, and whatnot. Maybe she knows about some resources, from a psychology perspective.

I'll call her this week. She's busy, so it might take a while, but I'll pick her brain.

Jenn

16. SDsalsaguy

Thanks Jenn! In case it might help keep in mind that, specifically, my emphasis is psychological anthropology – the permeable border between personality and culture.

17. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

DITO...I really preferred JG before the nose job, but I guess that's why cosmetic surgery exists...so people can fix what they feel are their biggest faults. I however disagree with her decision.

I actually can't wait to see this movie. I'm a major dance movie buff. I seem to like them all...even if they stink terribly and have a lousy plot. I just love dance!!!

Like I said with the nose thing...I think it was a bad decision, but I guess teach each her own. I personally think PS is incredibly sexy and a hot dancer. He can come show me his moves anytime!!! :D

You mean I have to pick just one????? I guess it would have to be the end...I know, pretty ordinary to pick the very end, but I think that's the best part. I LOVE all the dancing mixed togther. What fun!

By the way, MissAlyssa...I like your new image.

18. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Hey thanks! :oops:

19. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Wow page two already... good going people! Keep up the good work!

20. pygmalion

Oh yeah, and when you're in Orlando, or within a reasonable drive, crash at my place. Modest, but comfy. And I'm a great cook! Mi casa es su casa! (Too bad they cancelled the sunshine state comp, or you coulda been here!)

Jenn