General Dance Discussion > "Disco Fox" and Hustle?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Chris Stratton, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Can anyone who knows both compare "Disco Fox" as danced in Germany with Hustle as danced in the US? Is there in fact a similarity other than overlap in music choices, or is that about as far as it goes?

2. etchuck

etchuck New Member

I'm not the best person to answer that question, but I presumed they were both more or less the same thing.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I have no idea, etchuck. But there appear to be at least two different dances, one that some German and French web sites I looked at yesterday called "disco swing," and one that they called "disco fox." No idea what they are, or if they're the same or two different dances.

Is there anybody here from Europe who can help clarify?

4. Pat

Pat New Member

Same thing - unless things have changed dramatically since I left Germany 4 years ago.

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Disco swing and disco fox and hustle are all the same?

btw, cool. Thanks for being our resident expert. 8)

6. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Or is "Disco Swing" perhaps the counterpart to "West Coast Swing"? (a dance which itself may have helped get hustle started)

7. Malko Ling

Malko Ling New Member

Sorry to answer a little late, but I just discovered this exciting dancing forum community.

Short introduction: I live in Germany and I am addictive to dancing: especially to the 'disco-fox' and salsa!! Actually I dance disco-fox-tournaments.

'Disco-fox' came out from the hustle. In Switzerland it's called 'disco-swing'. The development went to another direction starting from the 80's.
    The clearest difference to the Hustle is a salient back place, as it does not admit in the Hustle.
    It can be learned within short time and be danced in principle to every music in the 4/4 or 2/4 step.

Today the disco-fox/disco-swing beside salsa is the most popular pair dance of Germany and Switzerland.

BTW, the World Cup Champions 2003 are swiss, switzerland is the most succesful disco-fox/disco-swing nation!! :p

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome to df Malko-Ling! I'm glad that you find our dance community an exciting one!! :D

So what is the disco-fox basic?

9. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Welcome among us, Malko Ling!!!