Swing Discussion Boards > Dizzy during Swing Outs

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Outsider80, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Outsider80

Outsider80 New Member

My wife and and were practicing our swing outs and we had to stop due to her getting dizzy. Any tips to avoid this?

2. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Ride the merry go round. No, actually, not kidding. Practice of a spinning action will gradually increase your ability to spin without dizziness.

But also, take a video of the spin outs and check if posture is aligned vertically. If she is tipping over, that can contribute to the dizziness.

I've never gotten dizzy from swing outs but I used to get dizzy from many multiple spins in place. That went away. I'm guessing the combination of practice and posture fixed that.

Also check with her if she feels she is maintaining her own balance versus being flung around. There can be some nice, fun elasticity in the swing out which some leaders mistake for flinging the follow, which is neither fun nor nice.

3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Does she spot? Not like ballerinas do, but more like figure skaters - spin, spin, spin, fix your eyes on a point right away when you come out. That will help - but as flying_backwards stated, it will also get better as her body and brain get used to the sensation and learn that she is completely safe.

Really the only time that I get dizzy now is if I am overtired, dehydrated, or sick.

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I just finished my first Lindy Hop lesson!
    My swing back ground served me in good stead.

Spotting is the way to go.
    The swing out, as I understand it, is just one 360 degree turn. Functionally it's two 180 turns. So, one head turn. Two head turns. Both a bit ahead of the body turning.

Also, practice putting other things between your swing outs.

Caroline Skipper likes this.
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

#1 cause of dizziness in spins: looking at the floor.

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

#1 cause of dizziness...
    spinning

cornutt, IndyLady and RiseNFall like this.
  7. Xelebes

Xelebes Member

#1 cause of spinning: curiosity over centrifugal forces on one's limbs and clothing.

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

#2 cause: doing VW with all left turns... :D

j_alexandra likes this.
  9. datitmarsh

datitmarsh Member

I sympathise.. I am deaf and now have a cochlear implant which is great because I can hear the music but my messed up inner ears take issue with the spinning.

10. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Ha! My teacher took me around a couple of corners once doing left turns just to show me what it would feel like!

cornutt likes this.
  11. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

The lateral semicircular canal should be aligned horizontal through out the swing out. An uncontrolled head movement involving two or three canals will cause dizzyness. Try to get her on camera and then control the head movements.

[​IMG]

12. Larinda McRaven

When we move the fluid moves inside the canals regardless of orientation. Dizziness is a brain's reaction to the hair inside the canal being triggered by moving fluid. You can't stop the fluid form moving or the hair being triggered... ever. But you can with time and repetition teach the brain not to react.

Spotting does not stop dizziness. Being vertical does not stop dizziness. I can turn for hours on end with a non-spotted non-vertical spin (called shaped turns or shaped spins) because I have done it for 30 years that way. Ask me to spot and suddenly I have to concentrate to combat a twinge of dizziness because that is lesser practiced way to spin for my brain to understand.

Repetition and training the brain to not react is the only way to overcome getting dizzy.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  13. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

after eons of practicing...

My all time favorite

14. Larinda McRaven

funny I actually have never seen that movie...suppose it is time.

15. David_D

David_D New Member

There are lots of things that can make a swingout more or less dizzying. The OP could try different variants to see if any help.
    For example, leading the follower out forward or backward on 5. Forward decreases the amount of rotation happening in the middle of the swingout, backward puts more rotation in the 3-5 counts, but means that 6-2 are all more-or-less facing the same direction.
    Making the swingout more or less circular will affect things, as well.
    My bet for a less-dizzying swingout is a very linear swingout with two 180* turns on 3-4 and 5-6 (as opposed to more gradual turns), but what makes people dizzy is probably a bit idiosyncratic.

16. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

^ This. this this this this THIS. Know from experience. THIS^