Tango Argentino > Do good tango movies exist?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Feb 23, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

DanceMentor started a link about Tango movies, but I'd like to take it further. There are plenty of fabulous dancing movies, but is there such a thing as a fabulous Tango movie?

Now, I adore Tango, but I'm yet to see a Dirty Dancing-calibre movie about Tango. Anyone got any suggestions or rebuttals?

2. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Oh, dear...my worst fears have been confirmed. There is no good Tango movie... :(

3. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

What about Simply Ballroom? It has been a long time and I loved the movie. I just can't specifically remember all of the dances involved except for the Paso Doble in the end. I remember it being a fairly good movie as far as dances involved. Many supposively dance movies have very little dancing and a lot of plot...

4. JonD

JonD New Member

You've got Sally Potter's "The Tango Lesson" and Carlos Saura's "Tango" - I like them both but some people hate them! Mike Lavocah http://www.milonga.co.uk/books/tangofilms.html recommends Leonard Schrader's "Naked Tango" but I've yet to see that one.

Jon

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Is that PG rated?

:lol:

6. JonD

JonD New Member

I think it takes a fairly literal interpretation of dance as "the vertical expression of a horizontal desire"! Sounds kind of fun - I wonder if it is shipped in a plain wrapper!!

AnnaN likes this.
  7. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Tango Bar was a pretty good one too.

8. jxntwinkletoes

jxntwinkletoes New Member

Tango movie

Assassination Tango is a movie that came out in December on DVD. It takes place in Argentina and has great Argentine Tango dancing in it! The story isn't that great though, so a non-dancer probably wouldnt' like it. but it is worth renting just for the tango scenes. Robert Duvall is the main actor in the movie.

9. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Welcome, jxntwinkletoes!
    Yes, unfortunately, I fell asleep before the part with the dancing came on.
    Was the dancing pretty good?

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

The movie, "Tango," that JonD mentioned is pretty good . . . nice dancing. It can get boring.

It stars Juan Carlos Copes as a choregrapher/dancer.

11. Bronzestudent

Bronzestudent New Member

One of the Addams Family movies had a great Tango in it. Ok, maybe a couple parts of it were not very realistic, but still pretty good if I remember correctly, however it was several years before I took dance lessons when I saw it. I think it was "Addams Family Values" but I'm not certain. Anyways, there's only 2 or 3 of those movies.

12. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Saw Tango Bar last night. Loved everything about it except the 1980's fashions. That sweater :shock: :D

Cheers
    Sarah

13. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Thanks for your responses, guys. I haven't seen Tango Bar, Assasination Tango or Naked Tango, but to be honest the others weren't too crash hot. The dancing was fabulous, but the plots...argh...am going hunting at the video shop tonight...[/i]

14. Christina75

Christina75 New Member

When I'm not obsessively reading DF, I'm usually obsessively reading www.imdb.com
    I highly recommend it for looking up dance movies or any other kind of movies you might like. You can search by keywords and I found tons of movies when I typed in "tango". Not sure though how good any of them are. :)

Christina

15. learningtodancewell

learningtodancewell New Member

we should have a movies section

I know I have REALLY enjoyed some dancing movies since getting started with ballroom dancing. I have watched Dirty Dancing and Dance With Me many times in the last few weeks.

I just bought and watched Strictly Ballroom and really enjoyed that movie also.

It would be handy to have a section of links for BRIEF write ups of theatre type movies and maybe another sub section for any streaming video, etc. of dancing out there on the internet.

I'd even be willing to help the forum with this.

16. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Thanks for the tip, Christina...also, welcome LearningToDanceWell! That's a great idea! Have seen them all and concur. I was specifically talking about Argentine Tango-related films, but the question is probably valid across the board. Mind you, Dirty Dancing is in a league all its own!!! :)

17. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Biased much are we? :lol:

18. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Moi, biased, surely you jest, SD! :) I was merely pointing out that Dirty Dancing was a good movie about dancing. Whatever gave you the impression I own it on VHS and DVD and watch it at least five or six times each year...OK, maybe a few more times, but not many... :oops:

19. Shamby

Shamby New Member

Dirty Dancing is a great movie. I haven't seen Havana Nights yet but it couldn't possibly be as good as the original.

Strictly Ballroom was great and a very real portrayal of the Australian ballroom dancing scene. In fact I believe it was based on some many of the scenes more colourful characters.

20. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Oh, do tell, Shamby! We want all the gory details.... :wink: