Tango Argentino > Do good tango movies exist?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Feb 23, 2004.

1. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

I enjoyed The Tango Lesson and Assassination Tango. Neither were great films, but the Tango in them was wonderful! I recommend seeing both.

Can't remember seeing Tango in Dirty Dancing? Is there Tango in Havana Nights?

Haven't seen Strictly Ballroom and was wondering if there is Tango in it?

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I think we need the equivalent of the ending of Cinema Paradiso where all the great screen kisses are segged together, but to do for the all films with a bit of tango in , from Valentino onwards.

3. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Oh, good idea BTM. Mind you, that still ain't a lot of tango!

Thanks for your thoughts, DancePoet. The reviews on both are so mixed, but I absolutely loathed Assination Tango. Am glad you enjoyed it, may watch it when my disappointment has waned.
    I don't think there was tango in Dirty Dancing and haven't yet seen Havana Nights, so I can't comment. As for Strictly Ballroom, I can't remember, but will force myself (oh, the pressure) to watch it on the weekend again ...for research purposes, of course.

4. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Strictly Ballroom is indeed a wonderful film that illustrates quite clearly that one great film does not automatically make a great director. Nothing else that I've seen of Baz Luhrmann's work is any good at all!