Country and Western > Do people confuse Country Western with Ballroom etc.?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by SPratt74, Jan 2, 2007.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well this is just an observation, but I didn't realize it until I signed up with dancing, but down in the South, we have our Country Western studios and then our Ballroom studios. I have yet to see the two mix together. Is that common with Country Western? But then I got to thinking that the Country Western studios offer a bit of everything which includes the Cha Cha etc., but that again isn't Ballroom it's Country Western Cha Cha. Is that why people get confused? Because Ballroom and Latin to me is not Country Western, and when I talk to dancers even on here they say the same thing, so I'm curious to hear what you all have to say. When I pulled up the NDCA and the ISTD, everything was different from steps to what you learned even. And another reason why I said that is because I was confused when I first started. I didn't realize it either until I had done the research. Now, I love Country Western, and I even own a pair of boots! But International is where it's at for me right now. I absolutely love it too! And yes when I get in the craving, I still do some C&W once in a great while! ;)

Sorry... I meant to put this under C&W!!! I tried to change it, but you can't switch threads I guess. Sorry!!! ;)

2. Laura

Laura New Member

Speaking for myself, I've never confused the two.

3. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

Ditto.

4. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I understand. But it's still very easy when you first start out not knowing what you are getting yourself into when it comes to dancing, because I for one was easily confused. Then as time progresses and you do more dancing, you realize more things. But that's why though you have to be careful when you sign up to make sure you are getting what you want. And I know that when I talk to dancers or future dancers I should say that I tell them the difference especially if they tell me, "I want to learn Ballroom", I'll tell them where they can go to learn how to do just that. I've also had people tell me that they want to learn CW, and I'll tell them the places the can go to learn that. But I won't mix up the two though just from my own personal experience and research though. ;)

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

is there really such a thing as a cw cha-cha...?

6. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Hmmm... there is when you compete. And it's not the same as the two syllabuses that I pulled up. But of course every category has its own set of rules though, so that's no biggie.

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

huh... i learned something new today, then. <g>

up here in jersey, haven't seen any cw dancing at all, although i know line-dancing is quite popular. just not my crowd...

8. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

As a dancer who has done both styles for nearly 9 years, I don't understand where the confusion would come from, unless it is ballroom studios advertising themselves as teaching both ballroom and country western...in my experience, ballroom studios teach a watered-down, old style, not very authentic country western style.

On the other hand, most if not all high level competitive country western dancers these days have a lot of "ballroom" training and dance a style that mixes the best of both styles.

However, SPratt is correct--you do have to be careful when you sign up. Although the studio where I take ballroom lessons also teaches country western (and one ballroom pro there has just started competing in country western), I get my country western instruction outside my ballroom studio.

9. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Lol... don't worry about it. My parents live in Philly, and they thought the same thing as you lol. ;) Most people think of CW as just the Two-Step or things like that, when you can also compete in the Cha Cha, the Waltz, the Rumba. It's just completely different than Ballroom is all. Although from what I hear, it is headed in the direction of Ballroom.;)

10. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Most CW studios do advertise in Ballroom etc. here, which is why you have to call ahead first. If they don't compete in Ballroom, or have a high level of instructor in Ballroom, then it's not Ballroom.

Yep, but that is very hard to come by. You really have to ask first and dig for information to know for sure.

That's a good idea! I never thought of that. ;)

11. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

There actually is....I have seen it done at this cw bar I go to a couple of times a month to line dance and hang out with some friends. It looks very similar to the cha-cha we know...I have watched what they do to see if I could follow it, and it seems similar enough that I think I could do so. I have also seen a dance done there that is very similar to bolero(perhaps you guys can identify what it is). The couple does the sliding side step like bolero, but then does a rock step back, repeating the same thing on the other side. AND the turns and stuff that they do in it reminds me more of swing than bolero, plus the music is faster, more like that of a rumba tempo than bolero. Anyway, its very interesting to see the difference between cw and ballroom/latin....after watching cw couples do chacha and two step and swing,etc. for so many years, I can go to the ballroom parties and immediately identify which couples are primarily cw or either started out as cw. There are subtle differences in the way they dance, but they are there. Its something about the walk and the way they hold their arms...hard to explain, but yes, I could see how some might confuse the two, especially if their studio does both or they know people who do both and it kind of meshes together.

Wow, didn't mean to ramble off topic like that. Sorry!

12. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

No. That's really good information. I like how you got in-depth. Thanks for the info.!

13. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

This is nightclub sway or nightclub 2-step---it's a beautiful slow dance, not only done to country music but it is a dance competed in C&W.

You will see a lot of ballroom influence in these dances (waltz, cha, etc.) if you go to a C&W competition. As someone else commented, a lot of ballroom trained people compete in C&W (my former instructor is one of them.)

14. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I never had any confusion about the two. My former instructor is a ballroom dancer who teaches and competes in C&W. And teaches both at his studio.
    I understand there are sometimes country divisions at ballroom competitions, which I've never been to. Maybe there is some confusion there.

15. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

However, if you see a lot of Ballroom influences, that doesn't mean that compete Ballroom or will teach it that way, because that's not what the syllabus calls. (I've dealt with that enough to know.) That's where the confusion comes in. And most of the time the Ballroom instructors will stay away from CW (to much work and cost I think). So, I think that the idea of having two studios for each category is a wise decision if you want to dance both. Because you will be hard pressed to find someone that does both for whatever the reason.

16. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Actually, I just checked my region again since I can't do anything else right now, and there are three events in my region that have CW events in them. Considering that I am in the South though, it's probably headed more towards that way. But as Samina put it, it's not popular in her neck of the woods. So, while it might be here, CW might not be elsewhere. But it's also still separate from Ballroom, which means CW is still it's own category, so it won't get mixed up with the Ballroom syllabus I suppose.

17. Love2Dance

Love2Dance New Member

I happen to live in Dancesport Region 2. I don't know a lot about the south, however I know that our own St. Louis Star Ball happens to have a country western division in it. I've been fortunate enough to have worked with coaches who excelled at both Country and Dancesport.

18. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

This in in response to Samina's question about Country Western cha cha.
    Cowboy Cha Cha, also known as Traveling Cha cha, is a pattern partner dance that is very specific to Country Western clubs. It is danced progressively in a promenade position. There are four different patterns, each of which is done twice. This, and other pattern partner dances such as Horse Shuffle and Schottische are pretty popular where I am. The men don't have to worry so much about leading. And the women can just do the steps and not worry so much about following.
    A small number of couples will do a cha cha in place, going through a set sequence of patterns in the middle of the floor while other couples dance around the outside of the floor doing the Travelling Cha Cha.
    It's pretty rare to see people dancing anything that looks Latin. (Cowboys don't move their hips like that.)
    As always, I write about dancing in CW bars, or dance halls, not competition.
    Cha Cha like rhythms, and dance have been part of Country Western for a long time, reflecting the influence of our neighbor to the south.

19. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Actually, I was just on that web site (because I had to download other stuff anyways), and they from what on that web site don't have a CW category. And the St. Louis Star Ball is in region 5 not region 2. Here is the web site if you want to check it out. http://www.stlouisstarball.com/index.cfm/showsection/registration_policies/page.htm

20. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Thank you for the information. But I am disappointed for I would love to see a Cowboy move their hips lol!!! :raisebro: