Country and Western > Do people confuse Country Western with Ballroom etc.?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by SPratt74, Jan 2, 2007.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thanks for the info, steve.

oh my goodness... my head spins at the thought of yet another set of latin/rhythm dances. so can't go there.

i'm sure it must be so much fun, but i'll sit out the cw set for now. :)
    got so far to go just with my latin & standard!

2. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh I like CW! I just do it socially now though. Someday when I head out to my parents house in Philly, I'll have to swing on by and take you CW dancing! We'll have fun!;)

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

now that would be fun, SP!

4. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

Hey, I'm in Region 2 too!! :)

5. Love2Dance

Love2Dance New Member

Thank you for correcting me. According to USA Dance Website, Missouri happens to fall in Region 2, so I just assumed that St. Louis would also fall in Region 2. Since I only have a few years invested in dancing and competing, I won't claim to know everything. I made this assumption because of USA Dance listing, this is a shortcut to the page so you can see where I got that idea:

http://www.usabda.org/dancesport_competitors/regions_&_reps/index.cfm

Plus, I guess if the St. Louis Star Ball doesn't have a country western division, I must have misunderstood what they had on their schedule. This is the page I saw:
    http://www.stlouisstarball.com/inde...ets_schedule/showsubsection/schedule/page.htm

On it, under March 9, 2007, they list "4pm Pro/Am & Amateur Country Western", which I assumed meant there would be a competition.

6. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

According to this web site http://www.dancesportsuperbowl.com/events_by_region.php, and maybe the more advanced dancers know more, but Missouri is in region 5, and so is the St. Louis Star Ball. I checked again and the St. Louis Star Ball is not in region 2 but in region 5.

Yep I was wrong. I did not see that category. I have been paying attention to the International categories etc. Plus CW is only in one time slot, and they don't have the forms for CW yet. So, I completely missed it.

7. Love2Dance

Love2Dance New Member

Ok, I mostly competed in Amateur in Dancesport, so I never realized that Pro-Ams had different region divisions.

I was just trying to point out that there are Dancesport competitions other than just the south that also include country western.

I have friends who have competed a number of years in Dancesport Competitions who decided to compete in the UCWDC instead. Part of the reason was cost.

8. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

That's ok. I don't have a partner, so I will have to do Pro-Am. And I'm glad that you mentioned that they had a Country division in case I ever want to compete in that too!

Well, I think that cost varies. To me CW is more expensive. (I was shocked to see that St. Louis Star Ball doesn't cost that much.) But it depends though on the person and what they think is expensive. I thankfully don't have to fly (except to the OSB) if I don't want to, and that's fine by me. I can drive, or we can car pool. It depends on whatever the situation is at the time I suppose. And that kind of thing helps I think.

9. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

But didn't you make out a post to where you said that your former instructor did not know ballroom, and that you had to find some other place to teach it? I believe this is the thread that you started http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=15242. If this is the case, then why did you really switch studios (and I mean before you moved)? And I'm only saying this, because you wouldn't have had to go and find a ballroom instructor if your former instructor knew ballroom, which proves the point that most just concentrate on one area. And since you found a ballroom instructor, you were also taking from a CW instructor, so that you could compete CW, because as I have said Ballroom and CW don't really mix, because it's not the same steps etc. You might add in some Ballroom stuff for CW, but as Steve puts it, "Cowboys don't move their hips that way" lol.

10. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

I believe SuzieQ's complaint was more about communication between her and her instructor. Not about his ability. Quoted from her post:"I know that he knows this stuff--he's an excellent dancer..." And, fwiw, she didn't switch studios or instructors (though she did recently move from the area because of work).

SuzieQ, hope you don't mind my jumping in here...

11. kayak

kayak Active Member

In my area, women just love the Cowboy ChaCha! Nobody does a traveling ChaCha like Steve mentioned. They just do the couples formation dance. It is actually pretty fun. The basics aren't too hard to get going with and there are lots of extra turns that better dancers can put in.

Our CW bars call normal ChaCha a Frestyle ChaCha just to distinguish it. Within the norm of social dancing, I lead the same at a CW dance or a ballroom dance.

12. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh I love it too! CW is really fun! It's just not really what I wanted to compete in, but I still own my boots lol! ;)

13. Love2Dance

Love2Dance New Member

Actually, as far as ballroom competitions go, the St. Louis Star Ball is very reasonable.

Since you've never been to a comp, it's good that you are reading up lots on it, though you should really rely on your instructor for information as he probably has years of experience (competing on his own plus in taking students) that you can't replicate or expect to find on a website. It is good to realize that costs are very different between venues, so never assume what the cost will be. Plus, costs can change from year to year. In my experience, over the past 6 years, I have never attended a CW event that cost me more than a dancesport event. This is of course, comparing apples to apples. It definitely costs more when you Pro-Am (a lot more in some cases). It's nice when you dance a lot with a pro who takes many students, because many students might make him more inclined to lessen the fees on each of you.

It's good to see that you are trying to learn about competition as much as you can while you are still such a new and inexperienced dancer.

14. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Thank you! Oh I started a thread under the Ballroom Dance about St. Louis. So feel free to participate there if you want to! But yeah I have everything but the rulebook printed out. They said that it's not done yet? And yes he's been competing for years, but he's also a perfectionist. I want to make sure I have everything in front of me for him to see that I'm serious about this! I also wanted the syllabuses printed, so I know what I'm learning and can cross it all off etc. I also have a journal book that I take to my lessons with me to write down everything that he says afterwards, so I don't forget. Ok he thinks I'm a bit weird probably lol, but it's just how I do things! He's a high level of instructor and doesn't have to teach me since he has so many students, but he's accepted me, so I am doing the best that I can to keep his faith in me as a progressing Ballroom student lol. ;)

15. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Yes, there's a C&W variation where you begin in the sweetheart position or so it was taught in a class I attended a few years back.

16. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

The St Louis Star Ball is a NDCA Dancesport competition, in Region 5, that holds a CW session in addition to the Rhythm, Latin, Smooth, and Standard divisions.

Region 5 refers to the region you represent and gather points for the Dancesport Superbowl.

USA Dances Region 2 refers to where you live and who your representative is in case you need to contact someone and deal with USA Dance, like your local government.

And since this is an NDCA event it is in Region 5. It has nothing to do with USA Dances Region 2.

17. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

steve

Am not an expert in c and w, but had the pleasure of coaching a high ranked couple in c and w doing waltz and f/t/ for a country comp.
    It turned out to be very much like silver/gold amer. danced to country music with a lot of separation and open work . the closed portions were decidely more ballroom in content . Should also mention that a certain southern studio, which teaches all genres , has regular monthly visits by c and w coaches, and it is taught by several of the free lance teachers , in the same room as the smooth / standard

18. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh that makes complete sense. Thank you for explaining it, because I thought I was reading my side right, but it helps knowing that I was on track. Thank you! ;)

19. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Does C&W dance in general have much popularity in the U.K.?

20. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

My daughter just competed this week in the UCWDC Worlds and came in second (Pro-Pro Divsion) to a dancer from the UK. She's a beautiful dancer--I've seen her in person. And I know there have been people at events from Ireland, etc.