Country and Western > Do people confuse Country Western with Ballroom etc.?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by SPratt74, Jan 2, 2007.

1. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Not to split hairs, but don't you mean triple-two instead of polka? Triple-two step and country chacha are pretty much interchangeable, tempo-wise, but polka songs are much faster.

And welcome, connectionjunkie!

2. Love2Dance

Love2Dance New Member

I must have not seen as many John Wayne movies as I thought... What movie does he even do any kind of cha cha?:confused: Or is this from an outtake or something?

3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

John Wayne barely moved his hips at all when he walked (There's an interesting story there. He was actually coached by someone to use the walk that he has when he was a young actor.), and he's an iconic American cowboy movie figure, and one measure of traditional American maleness. I'd be real surprised if he was ever filmed doing the cha cha. (But then, he played Genghis Kahn, so who knows!) http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0000078/
    I mention him to try and make the point that if you put Latin motion into something it's no longer Western, and it ain't Country no more, neither.
    At least that's my opinion.

4. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

Have you been to a country comp? Lots of cowboys. With very nice hips...:eek: (And, yes, some of them are real cowboys.) Though I'll grant you that in country bars, you will see far less styling in many of the dancers. No insult intended. Just observation.

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Been to many, many, many of them!

And what about those cowgirls . . . you know what they say about those Wrangler butts . . .

The many cowboys that I know? Most of them cannot dance, but they certainly give it their best shot . . . and for much of it . . . they do a great job! Hell, I probably cannot ride a bronc or bull as well as they can!!!

6. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

Hmm... just what do they say about those Wrangler butts?? :rolleyes:

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Wrangler Butts Drive Me Nuts!

8. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

Sorry I asked...:roll:;)

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I didn't make up the saying . . . it's well known and said throughout the C&W world . . . well, in our neck of the C&W world!

10. kayak

kayak Active Member

I can see John Wayne, cha cha instructor, making everyone dance by shooting at their feet with his big old Colt. I bet that creates a lot of hip motion.