Tango Argentino > Do tango dancers like tango music itself?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Pietro, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Pietro

Pietro New Member

Hello everybody,

As a tango dancer in Europe I like to visit milongas where alternative tangos are played as well as the traditional ones. Lately I'm wondering wheiter tango dancers really like tango music itself? Or is it just a means to dance in the appropriate ambiance? In other words: do tango dancers listen to and enjoy tango music while they are not dancing?

Thanks!

2. tangoaroundtown

tangoaroundtown New Member

I for one can't dance unless I like the music I am dancing to. I like to dance to traditional music, but like to listen to tango-esque music which I can't really dance to.

3. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I do, but I can't speak for anyone else. FWIW, I'm also a DJ.

4. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Yes, I do like Tango music, and listen to it all the time. I even attempt to play it on the piano.

5. Reuven Thetanguero

Reuven Thetanguero Active Member

I think it's very individual. I believe that most people who really like to dance Tango also love to listen to that music - I do. In my personal opinion (and I don't want to start a war here) what's called nuevo (alternative) music is not Tango. You can do Tango steps to Rumba and many other beats, but it's only steps.

6. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Yes, some of us do like it and are attracted to the dance in part because of it.

sixela likes this.
  7. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

I actually started dancing tango because I fell in love with the music. So it is not in part, it is 100%.

8. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

The music was an aquired taste for me. I loved the movement before the music. I rarely listen to it when I'm not dancing except on the way to a dance to get in the mood.

Angel HI and koinzell like this.
  9. Tango Distance

Tango Distance Active Member

Just a data point to the contrary: The times when I have felt like my dear wife and I were moving as one, perfectly fused with and immersed in the music, and the outer world just faded away, we were dancing Tango to Blues music.

I do like dancing Tango to Tango music, and have had many really great dances to Tango music. Perhaps had I two decades of listening to Tango music, and two years of listening to Blues, as well as speaking Spanish rather than English, things would be reversed. Also, Blues is simpler and more predictable than Tango, so I think it is easier to dance to.

Lois Donnay and Mladenac like this.
  10. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

I know a jazz singer who couldn't recognize elements in tango music at first.
    It can be challenging for beginners to recognize beat in tango music.

Some notes from one website:

The first time we hear Tango music
    - We hear a Wall of Sound
    - We don't know what instruments are there, we hear the music as just one piece.
    - As we get better, we should be able to distinguish rhythms from melody.
    - Learn to hear it in layers as multiple things coming into your ear, not just one block of sound.
    - And begin to catch the melody and the counter melody.

source: http://in-tango.com/welcome10.html

Zoopsia59 and JohnEm like this.
  11. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Yep I like the music.
    And considering the ratio between the time spent at milongas/practicas and the time spent on the dance floor, I like the music much more than the dance.

12. Pietro

Pietro New Member

Thanks you all for sharing your opinions and experiences.
    Indeed it is a wide range of possibilities.
    The current weekly poll on tangopinions.eu show a similar insight regarding this matter.
    I guess tango music for me it is an aquired taste too.

Lois Donnay likes this.
  13. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Since a lot of people cannot recognize elements in traditional tango music and music it is aquired taste.
    Therefore some people are attracted by alternative tango first since it is simple to recognize elements and express themselves.
    Over time this generally changes to traditional tango music.

In my local community there was a alternative tanda at the end of milonga.
    Now there are people organizing traditional/alternative milonga.

It takes time that people grow on traditional tango music.

It took me some time to be more intimate with tango music.
    Some musicality classes were needed and better earphones as well. ;)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Chrisa Assis and Lois Donnay like this.
  14. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

I fell in love with the music the first time I heard Bahía Blanca, yet I know people who have dancing for 5+ years who still ignore the music.

Lois Donnay likes this.
  15. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

I definitely started my tango journey liking alternative music more. But the more I explored the movements of the dance the more I came to realize how tango music was built to go with those movements. Now dancing tango to tango music fires up all the little pleasure centers of my brain, something alternative just can't do as much any more.

So I think for most people, understanding the movements of tango is a prerequisite for understanding why tango music is so good to dance to. That's why there seems to be a correlation between how good a dancer is and how much they like traditional tango music. (Note: only a correlation. There are definitely great dancers who prefer dancing tango to blues, or beginner dancers who love tango music.)

At least in the United States, I think it's important for communities interested in growth to play some alternative music. It gets people interested in the movements, which will in turn get them interested in the music. This is hard for me as a DJ because I would rather play traditional music. I also feel (as an organizer) like I'm being unfaithful to tango and trying to sell it under false pretenses. But in the end, it's led to a bigger community and more dancers discovering and loving traditional music who might not've otherwise had they not started dancing to music they already loved.

16. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Someone recently caught me whistling and told me I was "silbando un tango llorón", quoting a line from "Juan Porteño" (the milonga organiser has been calling me "canary bird" for years). Right now, I have "Calla bandoneón" playing in my head.

Does that answer your question?

17. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

I listen to Spotify while commuting to & from, as well as at work - Tanda of the Week by ANTTIVEIKKO, and a few of Ney Melo's playlists. I skip the non traditional tango songs. When I started tango classes the teacher gave CD's burned with selected tango, vals & milonga tracks and instructed us to regularly listen. I fell in love with the music and enjoy the music at the milonga with a good DJ even if I'm not dancing.

Mladenac likes this.
  18. C&c2

C&c2 Guest

I began tango because I found the the mechanics of the dance to be intellectually stimulating. I put tango on the back burner because the music, in general, doesn't make me want to move.

19. rain_dog

rain_dog Active Member

'Calla bandoneón' roughly translates as 'Be quiet, bandoneón'. What, don't you like bandoneóns? :)

Mladenac likes this.
  20. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

You're not the one trying to debug something with tango playing in your head ;-).

Lois Donnay likes this.