General Dance Discussion > Do U Ask A Girl To Grind???

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Zare-, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Zare-

Zare- New Member

IM not sure if/how to aks a girl to grind with me

2. Zare-

Zare- New Member

3. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Ok let's say that you had asked me to grind with you what do you think I would do? Well, first off no matter how cute I might think that you are, asking me to grind with you is a big turn off in my opinion. I would much rather you ask me to dance with you and not grind with you (if I grinded in the first place that is lol, but that's the oldie in me lol). I mean I know that grinding is apparently big nowadays, but that doesn't mean that you should ask the girl to grind even though that's probably what you'll end up doing anyways if you don't know any other kinds of dancing. The word grind is kind of a bad term in a way in other words, or I guess to be honest if I heard that word mentioned to me, I'd get as far away from you on the dance floor as possible. But if I heard the word dance, then hey why not? Well, if I wasn't taken that is lol. That's another thing though. Make sure the girl isn't taken before you mention the word grind lol. ;)

4. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

So no, don't ask a girl to grind. Ask her to dance (biiiiggg difference). Start a little bit apart, and then ease into a very close "grind" position if she looks like she's into it. If you get any indication that she doesn't want to be too close, please respect that. Have fun!

5. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

I was about to suggest that it would be interesting to hear a response from someone of the "grinding" age group. It's Wonderful is a good representative. Although, I wonder if the response of young women who aren't involved in swing or ballroom would be any different.

6. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

I was wondering the same thing myself - I can't remember ever club dancing before my ballroom/partner experience, and I have no idea how it has affected my perecption of those sorts of things. Hm, I must go track down a NDF for their thoughts!

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

we have had many many threads on this which I suggest you read...one thing you may be certain of is that you don't just start doing it...beyond that I recommend reading our old threads as these tend to get out of hand and don't stay open for long...welcome to DF

8. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Unless of course you want to be that creepy guy that she tells all of her friends to avoid.

I do grind when I'm single and I'm in a club and I feel like it. So let me say: you really just can't go wrong with "wanna dance?" I know - seems to easy. but it's true.

If she's already on the floor, just dance near her, make eye contact, maybe hold out your hand, and see if she responds. If she doesn't, or turns away from you, please please please just go on your way.

9. fascination

well ...er ...precisely

10. Lallylander

Lallylander New Member

well, too late for that. I did the exact thing you guys said not to do..oops lol.

11. fascination

:rolleyes: oh well, it was a nice vacation from this thread while it lasted...perhaps another one is forthcoming

12. danceislove

danceislove New Member

Why are there always these dumb threads about grinding?? It really irritates me. Sorry, but I just had to say it. Can there be a seperate forum for these, so they aren't in the one's I read? lol

13. fascination

try moderating them...actually they just come up from time to time...we do our best to encourage (usually young people ) to consider some other aspects of dancing and to be supportive of them in what is usually a panicked situation...it does fall into this genre (however illegitimate some of us might see it)...i'd just rather see it lie dormant or have the exhaustive archive on it searched rather than getting the same frantic question, but some folks are very sincere...even more maddening(for me) is when someone on the forum bumps it for, in essence, no real reason...hence the present scenario...oh well...there are bigger problems in the world

14. danceislove

danceislove New Member

Let's let it die ;) (hint hint everyone)

15. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Maybe we can have a sticky grinding thread in the genral dance discussion section ?

OTOH, I'd rather let the grinding threads continue as they do now. It seems so synonymous with dance-evangelism. We have all these young and impressionable people coming to us to ask about grinding, and we help them find the One True God of partner dancing... :)

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Ditto, ditto, ditto, diito, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto.
    Ditto, ditto, ditto, diito, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto.

17. fascination

well, stickies have been mentioned and considered, and folks have both helped with the grinding questions and also suggested alternatives....I won't comment upon your take on evangelism on this forum... stickies will likely be looked at about as much as the past threads are now accessed by these posters...I share folks frustrations, but as you can see, we have disagreements on the legitimacy of such things so we just make the best judgement calls that we can which is more or less acceptable depending upon one's point of view...

18. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

:tongue: :peace:

19. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

No, because the minute we do that (A) it will show up on even more searches, (B) it encourages more people to post on the subject here, and (C) would require that much more time wasted by the Mods on it. So, unless you yourself are volunteering to be a mod for such a forum, the current situation is the best we can manage.

20. fascination

and also to you;)