Tango Argentino > Do women and men want the same thing from tango?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by jantango, Nov 2, 2009.

1. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

It sounds like that DJ sucks. One can make interesting tandas from just traditional tango, of course there's no harm in playing an occasional tanda (1 or 2 / hour) of alternative, if that's what the audience likes.

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

he has told me he has a Cambridge degree, understands tango music since he plays piano and reads music, and he dances like a plank. In cockney parlance he's a merchant banker...

3. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Pah - it is rocket science.

4. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

It's a shame that with all that going for him, he doesn't appear to DJ very well (based on your prior description, of course).

5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

So on the topic of the embrace...which was a topic in this thread at some point...a thought from last night.

Guys, please do not actually grab your partner's left arm and try to put it in place around your neck--not if you think she's taking too long to do it, and not if you think she's going to dance in open embrace and you don't care for that.

(Can you all guess what happened to me last night?)

I can say that it did not amuse me in the least. Especially since I generally dance close embrace anyhow, and was taking my time getting into it. I guess that wasn't good enough. Lemme tell you, it did not enhance any connection going on. What was strange to me is that this was a guy I've danced with plenty of times before, and he's never done that before. *shrug* It just annoyed the blazes out of me. a)I was getting there. b)What if I'd wanted to dance open for some reason?

I guess there's a first time for everything.

6. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I would have to have a quite intimate relationship with a woman before I would do that. Otherwise, it's just plain rude.

7. Madahlia

Madahlia Member

Yes, I do like excitement in the sense that I like to be surprised, entertained and amused whilst dancing. (Tell me jokes if all else fails.) I also like dancing challenging and unusual moves as long as they are within my capabilities - and OF COURSE, within the leader's capabilities to lead accurately. All these things increase my focus on the connection as I have to pay more attention and there is less likelihood that I will go onto autopilot.

But, these are what I would describe as higher-order skills, and are not necessary to a pleasant and enjoyable dance. Expressing musicality using very simple moves (such as variations of the walk) can be just as effective and within the reach of any leader, no matter how inexperienced.

I love Poema, but it is now starting to sound a bit over-played.

Your DJ does indeed sound a bit difficult. For a follower, maybe the excitement comes as much from the partner as from the music, though?

However, in other dance forms, I find the music to be of overwhelming importance, probably over-riding the skill of the leader in ensuring a pleasing dance, so I don't know why I don't feel the same about tango.

8. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

I don't like Poema :)... in fact, I find it irritating at times... bit like Turkish Delight, nice, light and sweet but (for me) lacking in substance re dancing.

9. bordertangoman

I think his superior intelligence leads him to conclude that he must be right; Quite honestly I don't think he is musical. His dancing lacks any lyricism. The ability to read music and play an instrument does not make one musical on the dance floor.

last night I was complimented on the dance floor my musical interpretation by a two visiting ladies who were a bit bored of with their regular milonga where they dont get much beyond the beat, and half-times.

( apologies for blowing my own saxophone)

10. bordertangoman

I agree, and it is overplaid; it is no more than an appetiser, a morceau, an aperatif.

What tango pieces are your meat and two veg?

11. bordertangoman

I could show you how to turn that into aikido for next time it happens

obviously the guy was not a Jedi knight.

12. tangonuevo

tangonuevo New Member

Thank you!!!! It is sooo annoying that we have endlessly to deal with this!

Message to Jan, I AM A PHILISTINE. GET OVER IT.

I admit that I dance 'not tango'. Oh, I dance almost exclusively to golden age tango music, I dance close embrace much of the time (all of the time with a new partner), and I might easily be mistaken for a tango dancer by one who is not in the know. But the basic problem is: I don't dance any dance (and I dance many) so I that can hold a woman and be held in turn. I have a GF. We have a most excellent love life. I have no phobias about holding or being held, otherwise I wouldn't dance 'not tango', but I (and my life partner) find that there is a LOT more to connection than the walking hug. So I second Peaches' request that we please get over this. If it helps, I will recognize that I do it all wrong. So can we drop it??? Please??

And yes, I should have deleted this message.

13. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I'd like to remind everyone that while we are allowed to disagree with each other, we should always maintain a respectful tone towards each other.

"We" have been sliding on this, and a bit of self reflection should tell you if you are among the "we".

And, yes, it's been noted by more than one individual.

So, from the Guidelines...

4. Please do not engage in name calling, attacks on a person's character, deliberately inflammatory remarks, group stereotypes, or profanity (no matter how subtle – we take all such activities seriously).

6. Please be courteous in your posting, by following these basics:

• Do not title threads or post using ALL CAPS.
    Thanks in advance for being civil to one another.

14. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Thread killer :p

Although, whilst we're at it, can we have a ban on multiple exclamation marks too? ;)

15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yay!
    (T'was going to put that in all caps, but since that's banned...)

16. tangonuevo

tangonuevo New Member

Perhaps intended for me.
    Most certainly intended for me.

I apologize for my trespasses. No excuses, no explanations.

Just an apology.

Ta ta.

17. hbboogie1

hbboogie1 New Member

what no caps !!!!!!!

18. bordertangoman

I'm going to start a new thread on quips for the tango floor

19. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Well, my vindaloo would be Tom Waits 'Hoist that Rag' - I'm up for trying a vindaloo at least once in my life :)

I like mildly spiced meat n spuds all the time... hmmm, but if I had to choose.. I can't say 'Oh, I love xyz, a particular composer' because I'm a bit of a philistine when it comes to knowledge of orchestras etc

Broadly, meat n spuds would be anything with variation in tempo or emphasis in the track (sorry, not a musician, don't know the technical terms) but I also like (a lot) the old, scratchy tunes that lend themselves to canyengue dancing.. or would be good on the soundtrack of an old Mickey Mouse cartoon (love, love, love Trampera!) and beaty stuff like Otros Aires (Los Vino)

I don't agree that Poema is overplaid - doesn't sound remotely Scottish ;)
    I certainly think it's over-used for exhibition, not enough substance.. a mere petit-fours to be served with an espresso (Mi Confesion - Gotan Project maybe).... can you tell I'm a bit hungry as I type this? :D

20. bordertangoman

i TOO love trampera I want to dance it dressed as Charlie Chaplin.... with a golden curled lass.. you'll do.

not at all I think the best singers should be compared to coffee and cream: Lomuto for example.... Melingo is a dark roast and Tom Waits is the gounds at the bottom of the cup...

Sassone's music is latte....