General Dance Discussion > Do you ever take Advil before dancing?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Mar 16, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I remember once having some back pain, and the teacher told me that they usually do not take any medication before dancing. The reason they gave was they wanted to be able to listen to their body better. In this way they were less likely to injure themselves further.

Fortunately for me I have not had any serious injuries that cause me to really load up on any sort of drug. But I have sometimes taken and Advil if I was experiencing some minor discomfort as I thought it might enhance my mood when I went dancing. But I don't make a habit of taking it on a regular basis. If I am in a lot of pain, which is very rare, I would just stay home.

2. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Ibuprofen being added to the list of prohibited substances at dance competitions would be very bad for me.

IndyLady and RiseNFall like this.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

as a general rule, unless I have an injury not severe enough to cancel a comp but too painful to work through without it impacting my dancing, I will tend to prefer soaking and some bengay...but when I danced 4 styles, if I danced a great deal, occasionally, on the 3rd or 4th day there was no getting around it and a few advil were important

4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Muscle ache and inflammation are there for a reason. Don't dumb them down with drugs.

Even afterwards, muscle ache is part of the muscular building process. Reducing inflammation only retards the process. So if you take an anti-inflammatory you are really just taking two steps forward and three steps back.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Yes... but never to mask an injury that is trying to tell me something. (Cramps or a headache are another story. I'm not going to do any damage by dancing through those.)

6. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

For arthritis, or certain sorts of aches at times, sure. Some aches do better with movement than rest, but sometimes you need something to help you to be comfortable enough to move.

Other aches and pains need rest, and/or heat, and/or ice, and or physical therapy, etc. So those get that, rather than trying to push through it on the dance floor.

7. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Or surgery. :eek::confused::mad:

8. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I especially tried to avoid taking Advil or Ibuprofen as a way to allow me to dance. If I am feeling pain, I stay home. That is rare fortunately. However I do find that sometimes if you have a pain that seems to stay with you for a few days, it can be helpful to get your body moving in the right direction to take an Advil. It is just not something that should be practiced on a regular basis.

raindance likes this.
  9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Every now and then, if my knee has been particularly bothersome that day.

10. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

I my case, the medication I am on causes significant pain in my bones, muscles and joints, so I take pain killers in small doses on a daily basis just to be able to get through the day (1/4 paracetamol 6 hourly). I increase that if I am dancing for longer than an hour. I expect that the dose is low enough that the pain of an actual injury would shine through quite brightly:cool:

raindance and fascination like this.
  11. JudeMorrigan

I blame the naval flight surgeons at OCS back in the day for my slightly skewed view of ibuprofen. It was a running joke that any time an OC would go to branch medical, for any reason whatsoever, they'd walk out with a prescription for 500mg horse tablets of ibuprofen. (Shin splints? Ibuprofen. Ingrown toenail? Ibuprofen. Decapitation? Ibuprofen.)

I wouldn't use it on a daily basis for training purposes, but I really don't feel bad about it being a part of my standard comp kit.

12. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

With all of my feet issues, I know they are going to swell at a competition--or any other time I am dancing a lot--and I'm better off taking ibuprofen before that happens. So I do. There are risks in doing that, but it's the only way I can compete.

SwingingAlong likes this.
  13. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

I have a bad knee, and sometimes take an aspirin before going dancing as well as during.

14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I bet those were 800mg tabs of ibuprofen. Not 500. Yes they are huge

15. JudeMorrigan

That sounds entirely likely. Goodness, but it's been a long time.

16. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

That is 99.9% of my ibuprofin use.

I recently had some soreness after a workout that persisted for days. Heating pad, chair massage, ben-gay, etc., nothing was working. I finally popped a couple ibuprofin tablets and it cleared up. That is a rare situation though.

17. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I actually found that, much like my son, liquid Alleve works faster and better for me. It hits within minutes for me and it's normally for a righteous ankle swelling that I can quite literally watch happen if my dancing in heels or even walking barefoot or in dance practice shoes goes longer than I'm use to. Would I take it before getting in the floor? Nope. I know my body well enough, that when it starts screaming at me, that's the time, and wella, the swelling disappears, the ache is still there, but I can still walk. Pills? No. All that said, it's a once in awhile thing, to know when to take even an OTC drug, for me is key.

18. open_mind

open_mind Member

But what if you have to dance, like you paid a lot of money in competition entry fees or there is show you've been preparing for months. When I start dancing every day before a big event, my knees often start bothering me and the only way I can get through the event is Advil. I strategically take it about an hour before dancing for maximum effect and I never found that it affects my dancing in a bad way. After the event, I try to rest for a week or two and that usually helps my knees until I overwork them again.

19. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

If you have to take pain killers to make it through a dance/round/comp/showcase on a regular basis, what's the long term physical price going to be?

As Larinda wrote, pain means something.

20. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I did not know you could get OTC pain meds in liquid form - intriguing. /emerges from cave

RiseNFall likes this.