Tango Argentino > Do you like Piazzola?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by wadpro, Jan 25, 2010.

1. spectator

spectator Member

:cheers:

hooray sensible comment. I think j had a point though on page one when she pointed out that Gardel and Piazzolla have little chance of destroying tango for dancing.

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Ah. My mistake and misunderstanding of your comments. Er...never mind, then. Carry on.

eta: :)

3. Mr Walker

Mr Walker New Member

Another tango being danced to Oblivion by Piazzolla..., played live by Luis Tango Quintet at Poitiers France July 2007

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M6HOiX4uicA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M6HOiX4uicA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

And for me 99% of this improvised dance could be danced at a social milonga setting..:)

4. tangonuevo

tangonuevo New Member

So I forgot. When were you going to accept my request for a dance???

5. tangonuevo

tangonuevo New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Peaches

Oh, did you not get the memo? Terribly sorry 'bout that.

7. Peaches

I thought I already had. I thought you were ignoring me!

So...where do you live, and/or when are you coming to DC?

8. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Of course, we are all different, and it's ok. Also, it is not necessary to like everything of something (i.e. all songs by a particular artist). Yet, I do not understand how someone can not like Piazzola.

As for the other stuff, I am done with that BS... this is/not tango/tango music therefore BS, BS, BS. What absurdity! A pair of briefs are not real garments b/c they are not an original loin cloth, and if you dance a half box to a lock step it can't possibly be a tango step unless some tinny, scratchy music from the early 90's is playing.

Ridiculous. Let's get back to helping each other to discover, learn, internalize, and enjoy the passion of AT, and leave personalities and idiosyncraties out of it.

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I like Piazzolla's Le Grand Tango; at ten minutes long its a complete tanda rolled into one dramatic and beautiful piece of music.
    [yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MOgVpY8KHTA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MOgVpY8KHTA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

2.40 isnt very long for dancing ( unless you dont like your partner) I once danced to the whole of Keith Jarret's Koln concert

10. Mario7

Mario7 Member

no one said Piazolla is not tango..there was a distinction that was attempted between perfomance and social dancing.
    as for someone in a clown suit dancing tango steps to Beatles music...sure, if that's your taste in tango..and you can call it tango, too...but please don't call it Argentine tango. ..and afterall, that is the name of this forum isn't it? Argentine Tango? ...or am I in the wrong place? Since the forum is called 'Argentine Tango', any debate about what is A.T. is justified in my opinion..to keep us on the topic that we came here to share.... now, what is Argentine Tango?...well, isn't it the Tango that's danced in Argentina socially?...and the Tango that was exported on stage, film, etc.? So, there it is..two forms of Argentine tango..performance and social. of course, we could discuss other forms of tango to throw light on what's happening in other parts of the world..how they may be morphing tango in their own way...but let's get back to A.T. as much as possible and let's make distinctions, geographical distinctions where they occur.
    Or would that limit what we talk about too much? I don't think so, do you?:confused:

11. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I'm going to request Funky Chicken tomorrow at Negracha's. :D

12. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Can you call it Argentine tango if you're not in a clown suit?

OK, well now I have received the memo, let me ask you, what do you see as the difference between "Tango" and "Argentine Tango"?

Ah hold on:
    Fair enough. So by that measure, no-one outside Argentina can be said to be dancing Argentine Tango, ever, correct?

13. bordertangoman

Snort! as a friend of mine said; its only traditional tango if it is a recording from 1942; well the first half of 1942. Anything after that is nuevo.

14. Me

Me New Member

This question is the flaming dead horse of this forum. I avoid it at all costs, and when this topic comes along, I leave.

The topic is "Do you like Piazzolla?" I don't see a reason why we have to discuss what is real tango dancing.

I would really appreciate it if you would do a forum search for a thread about style or nationalism (or whatever else you think defines "Argentine" tango) and continue discussion, there. I want to continue to hear from others about whether or not they like Piazzolla, here. Thanks. ;)

15. chanchan

chanchan Member

Why? There is no reason for this deduction: nothing prevents you from dancing in Australia or in China the same thing that is danced in Argentina socially.
    And nothing prevents you from dancing a different thing: in this case you may want to call it with a another name, or not. Everything depends on your definition of AT. Calling it Australian Tango or Chineese Tango could be an option.

I think we should start a thread on definitions: it seems that every thread get hijacked by semantics... but if we don't agreee at less on definitions every other discussion is meaningless.

16. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Dave was asking a rhetorical question (i.e. he's not actually saying he believes or advocates that position, but rather trying to make a point).

17. bordertangoman

tHERe's a potted biography of Dave Bailey, sorry I mean Piazzolla here.

http://www.piazzolla.org/biography/biography-english.html

18. chanchan

chanchan Member

Actually he is advocating the opposite position, substaining that the Marios' one brings to an absurd (that no-one outside Argentina can be said to be dancing Argentine Tango)

19. bordertangoman

I believe that is irony.

20. chanchan

chanchan Member

Yes, that is the name of his retorical figure.
    My point is that Marios' position does not mean that no-one outside Argentina can be said to be dancing Argentine Tango.