Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > do you think?

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by lacubs, Nov 15, 2010.

1. lacubs

lacubs Member

do you think ABC/DWTS has enough guts to put on a female same-sex couple next season? aka Portia de Rossi. would Americans support this? I know this forum will.

2. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

But would they need to? Unless there's a shortage of available males, or they think they need the ratings, I don't think it would happen.

3. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

No. SYTYCD about had a coronary over the thought of same-sex ballroom, and they even do same-sex routines in other styles. Besides, why should Portia de Rossi get to dance with a woman when Lance Bass didn't get to dance with a man?

4. lacubs

lacubs Member

the only reason i bring it is up, i keep hearing they asking around about this. like Carrie-ann and Max love this idea. and if ABC try is, i can see this being a tv disaster

5. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

Having a same sex couple would be good for ratings because of the controversy, so there is a good chance it will happen. They probably won't last long regardless of how good they dance because the general public isn't going to support them by voting.

6. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

I don't think they are ready for that yet.

7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Why would they want to, more to the point? It's "Dancing With The Stars," not "Feeling Up Your Partner." They don't cast the normal couples because they find each other attractive. It's dancing as competition, not looking for a date.

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

um...careful there...in defining what is normal

also, neither scenario need be about dancing with the gender one wishes to "feel up"

now, as to the point, I think DWTS has shown a good deal of support for same-sex marriage in their coverage with louie and margaret, and I can see how that might be consistent w/ entertaining the notion of having a same sex pairing...though I think it would end up being an unfortunate and polarizing event more about ratings and contraversy than ideology, which is why I prefer their current way of allowing persons on the show to advocate for whatever it is that is dear to them, whether it be PETA, or Gay Marriage or teen abstinance any other issue a particular celeb happens to associate with

9. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

first of all, why would it have to be the homosexual contestants in the same sex partnerships?? that I don't get... dancing is acting, and a good dancer should be able to do a steamy rumba with their partner regardless of whether there is a chance for sexual attraction.

The thing with man-woman dance partnerships (regardless of who is or isn't batting for whichever team), is that they are meant to represent the extreme masculine and feminine, male-female interaction. With same sex partnerships, I have noticed that both dancers switch off leading and following (I remember one pro comp I saw a video of, these two guys switched mid natural turn in v waltz... it was pretty neat). Anyways, since they are taking equal roles, there is a very different dynamic there, which could bring a very interesting twist to the typical DWTS partnership.

I think potentially, a same sex partnership would be pretty cool, even if it was for just one dance ... I would love to watch two men or two women do an argentine tango together, since that is usually very male vs female; so to see it done with dancers representing equal dynamics would be really interesting. It wouldn't even have to be a sexual story line, it could be like two wall street execs fighting over power or something like that. This wouldn't even have to be DWTS... to be honest, I would prefer to watch such an argentine tango with two very skilled dancers (rather than a ballroom pro trying a. tango and a non dancer), as they could make it incredible.

10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

This!

I have seen AT done by two men, and I have seen it done by two women. (And I have danced with a woman leader multiple times.) It does present a very different dynamic, which is very interesting and very beautiful in its own right.

I would love to see more same-sex dancing on one of the various dancing shows. It's just a whole different aspect of things, and you're right, it could easily be worked to minimize the typical male/female dynamic presented in the various dances.

11. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

they do male male pas de deux in ballet all the time, telling all sorts of stories.. I saw one (Morel et Saint Loup) that had incredible lifts and everything.. it was stunning and so different from the typical male-female pas de deux.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

also excellent points peaches and nonie

13. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Didn't last season's SYTYCD have a male/male AT? I'm having trouble remembering well, but it seems like it was better than the male/male paso they did. (Which surprised me, as male/male paso should have been great.)
    I personally hope that DWTS doesn't do it. I really think they'd make a mess of it trying to cause controversy for ratings.

14. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

This... it would just be a disaster. If you are going to do it, do it seriously, not for ratings.

15. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

wow................

16. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.

17. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Ditto

18. bia

bia Well-Known Member

OK, this is starting to seem like piling on. Yes, there was a bluntness to the original post that I could see people finding distasteful, but I read it as basically the same as Nonie's point -- if DWTS were to assign an openly homosexual contestant to a same-sex pro partner, the show would be reinforcing the idea that ballroom dancing is centrally about real-life (rather than acted) romance/sexual attraction. And that's a misperception that I think most of us (who dance regularly with lots of people and/or compete with people who aren't necessarily our life partners) would rather work to debunk.

19. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Well put. :notworth:

20. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Obviously, I don't do tact (or care if I offend. If I complained about everyone in the world who offended me we'd be here all week, hence why I've stopped worrying about it myself.)

This is not ballet or AT. (And given their obsessing over "prostitutes in Argentina" it's safe to say DWTS is not exactly clear on what AT is to the point they probably should not be using it.) Ballroom is not about telling stories about dying swans, Apollo, or red shoes (or making interesting off-kilter shapes without plot if you're Ballanchine school.)

It also REALLY does not need further reinforcement that it is first and foremost a means of finding a sexual partner, which is exactly the message if a lesbian or gay dancer "should" be dancing with a partner of same gender. Why? Because ballroom dancing is only a metaphor for sex? What does it imply? Does being a lesbian mean they aren't actually female and therefore can't be a follower? And let's throw in the implication that she won't dance with a man because lesbians must hate men. Or, in the case of man, they're not really masculine enough to lead. And would a bisexual contestant need two partners, one of each? Why would a person be unable to dance the role that's appropriate to their physical gender just because they would not consider their partner the appropriate gender to date? Unless ballroom is in fact just a means of seeking out a mate (so if you're already married, if you aren't looking for a romantic partner, why would you take it up? Why would you put a kid in dance lessons if they're not old enough to date?)

It's asking for trouble, and there's never been a thing on the show that would suggest they could present in a way that WOULDN'T sexualize it (not to mention it reeks of the "lesbian kiss this week!" ratings stunts employed by fiction series) and handle it in a way guaranteed to offend EVERYONE.

Unless the object WERE to kill the show completely.