Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > do you think?

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by lacubs, Nov 15, 2010.

1. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

DOI, I think that most everyone here agrees with you (WRT DWTS inevitably making a same sex partnership the most failtastic thing ever) ... maybe they just got confused by your wording initially.

I agree that by making it the lesbian or gay contestant doing the same sex partnership they would be reinforcing a lot of stereotypes and heading down a slippery slope. It's like when there were rumors that Johnny Weir would be on the show and so many people were like "oh, who would he dance with?? not one of the female pros... he would have to dance the girl's part with Derek Hough" etc etc... now as interesting as THAT would be... face. palm.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

on this forum...it is important to care about offending... we have guidelines that make it clear that posts which staff find to be significantly offensive and inflammatory will be deleted so as to keep the thread on topic...so, while you may not care, please then do not be surprised when your lack of care causes a post to be edited.....it isn't anyone's personal space in which to say whatever they choose...and I don't care to have myself and the other staff up all night putting out fires because people feel entitled to say everything that flies into their head...this is a general moderator note, admittedly evoked by a specific member comment...but is a note that applies, and will be applied, to anyone who does not, in the view of staff, take the proper care...folks wishing to say whatever they please have facebook and a myriad of other places where that is an option.

I rather doubt that anyone was suggesting any of the above notions...what many folks are saying is simply that it is no huge deal for anyone, hetero or otherwise, to engage in a same sex dance partnership and if a celeb wanted to come on but dance with a same sex pro, do folks think the show would do it?...it happens plenty in group classes where ratios are off...notion being there is no need for anyone to be squeamish...now, obviously, if the character of a dance involves a sensuality, then that will be expected to be seen regardless of orientation...if the character of the dance doesn't require it, it would be absent regardless of orientation...at any rate...the question at hand was simply; do folks think that it could happen or be an option....the rest of this a bit wild-eyed and off the mark...not sure anyone was suggesting that any particular celebrity would insist, due to their orientation, that they must have a same sex partner, but merely, do folks think it would happen/be okay on the show.

3. fascination

on the subject in general...I agree with what I think most people of all perspectives are saying...it would probably be very contraversial, so it could happen for ratings, but should probably not happen as it will be very polarizing....on the other hand, change never comes easily

4. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Nope, because bisexuality =/= polyamoury.

A bisexual contestant would be fine with a partner of either gender, but not necessarily both at once.

5. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

If you want to see two men dancing AT together, there is Carlos Saura's "Tango"
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120274/
    http://web.archive.org/web/20100609140451/http://www.sonypictures.com/classics/tangomovie/

And in Sally Potter's "The Tango Lesson" two "creators" of what is usually referred to "Tango Nuevo" are shown working out moves together.

Same sex partnering seems fairly well accepted in AT, as opposed to say Country Western where it's "ok" for women to dance with each other, but seeing two men dancing together is extremely rare.

I seem to remember that SYTYCD has had at least one same sex partner audition, and has had (I think) same sex partnering in routines. The judges do seem to expect, though, that the "basic" "traditional" roles be respected ie Man's role, and Woman's role.
    That hasn't kept Nigel from making a remark that he ended up apologizing for.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2017
  6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Likewise, same sex partners != homosexual.

7. lacubs

lacubs Member

Portia de Rossi Declines Same-Sex Dancing With the Stars Invite Will Portia DeGeneres have this dance? Apparently not. After telling Ryan Seacrest she'd consider an offer from the producers of Dancing With the Stars to become part of the first same-sex dancing duo on the U.S. version of the show, Mrs. Ellen DeGeneres has turned producers down, E! News has learned. "Yes, she was asked but she declined," said a rep. MORE: Another celeb talks same-sex dancing. Find out here! Last month Ryan surprised Portia (née de Rossi) during an interview by informing her that DWTS producers were planning to feature a same-sex couple and she was at the top of their list. A former ballet dancer, the 37-year-old thesp was flattered and said she'd think about it. We guess it's not the same without Ellen. http://www.eonline.com/news/215059/portia-de-rossi-declines-same-sex-dancing-with-the-stars-invite

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2017
  8. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Politics aside, at least one dance body (I forget which) specifically defines a couple as one male and one female.

But DWTS is hardly what I would consider genuine competition so perhaps that would be a moot point.

9. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I think it's asking alot of people to expect a thread about a topic of this nature not to polarize viewpoints, even amongst an admittedly tolerant crowd. A slippery slope has 2 sides, and I would hate to see this forum fall off the other side by not allowing any viewpoints that might be unpopular. The difference of opinion is why I think it's so much fun to read alot of these threads. Perhaps things can and should be worded differently on occasion, but eliminated? I hope not...

10. fascination

if you have specific concerns you can bring them to the staff mailbox...as they are not the topic of the thread...opposing views are not a problem at all on this forum, topics going astray into snarkiness over varying agendas that aren't the main topic will be assessed by staff and dealt with in our best faith...now let us please stay on topic...further questions on that can go to the mailbox...

11. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Good point FASC... and sorry to digress.

I don't think that it would be a good idea for DWTS to have a same-sex couple on the show. I just don't think it would be well received by the general public. I could be wrong but if they do decide to do it, they should be ready for backlash. It would be a ratings generator for the first, maybe even second, dance. But after that, I think it would just hurt their ratings and make lots of viewers unhappy. And I don't want DWTS to go away! I love the show. But I'm not an ABC exec so what do I know...

12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I've heard opinions all over the place about this from people who view the show. I personally have no strong opinion either way, and would continue to watch the show, come what may. The network each season, I'm sure, tries to find things to keep it interesting. And I believe that they will make their decision based upon that...

13. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

i highly doubt they would do it unless they were in danger of being pulled off the air and they desperately needed to stay afloat...

14. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

15. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

16. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

....huh?????......

17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yeah, that's a pretty narrow conclusion. I agree, TD...

18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I've sometimes thought that the real coup would be securing that really big A-lister. (Not sure if the ex-athlete or current athlete like Kurt Warner or Apolo count.) At one time I thought that the name of one Al Pacino had been tossed out there--but I don't know if that was just big wild speculative wishful thinking...

Would someone like a Lindsay Lohan do it? Would any of you think that would be a bad idea?

19. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Then why were they specifically asking a lesbian woman for it? Why not just pick out a random "star" and assign a same sex pro?

You and I and danceronice might feel it shouldn't be about that, but it appears that the producers of the show think it's relevant.

20. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Which is precisely why DWTS probably shouldn't do it... they would handle it in a way that would not really be so great... sorry for my lack of eloquence; red wine and tiredness do not lead to poetic thoughts ;)

I wish Portia De Rossi (DeGeneres) would do it, same sex partner or no... I adore her.. and Ellen. They are both awesomely talented!!