Ballroom Dance > Does anyone take lessons or privates via Facetime or anything like that?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by GinaN, May 20, 2017.

1. GinaN

GinaN Active Member

Curious if anyone takes or has taken virtual lessons with someone out of town, and how it has worked for them.

And if you have, do you have any tips for how to make it work the best it can being that the person isn't there with you, aside from the general things you would do for a regular private like maybe setting up goals, etc.

Thanks.

2. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I know a couple who does this... and their results I'd say are mixed at best. I'm not sure if that's a result of the studio they go to though.

There are things that the eyes can pick up better than video. I would actually record you dancing and then send it to the coach.

3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Lessons? No. Have had vids reviewed though and comments returned.

4. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Actually, yes. And, most strangely, it was coaching for aerials, something I'd normally consider very hands-on. But it only worked well because we'd already worked together for months.

Some tips: arrange the lighting and sound before you start. Use separate computers for sound and the skype. We did not have to share the space. It could not have worked if there were others in the studio.

I've thought about doing this so I'll be interested to hear what works and doesn't work. A live skype is very different from sending a video. Advantages to both.