Salsa > Does Corky Ballas have good salsa technique?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by nycsalsero, Oct 17, 2007.

1. nycsalsero

nycsalsero Member

Corky Ballas is a god in the ballroom world. I'm trying to find authoritative information on how to dance the salsa basic with perfect technique. This video makes salsa look weird though. Maybe I'm just not used to it? Does anyone see a problem with using American Rhythm Mambo technique for salsa technique?

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=196332&fr=

2. Tony_Salvi

Tony_Salvi New Member

anyone else think he looks off time? Maybe I'm not counting right but it looks like he starts the step on2 but doesn't land until 2.5...:???:

edit: Nevermind...when I view the video his mouth is not in synch with his words, so I think the audio is out of synch.

3. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

If I had ever danced salsa like that in the latin clubs I visited over the yrs-- they would have laughed me off the floor Nik knows what I mean .

This is the perfect e.g,. of what salsa is not . No Alma y corazon y para sabor .

4. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes New Member

this video's hilarious. :confused:. look at the pauses he does whilst doing the basic

5. saludas

saludas New Member

This is Mambo, not salsa. Also, this video is at least 15 years old, so it has a different look than the salsa folks have today. However, dancing like Corky would be a high goal to achieve in ANY technique.

6. tangotime

Thats the whole point !! -- I dont want my salsa to look like my Intern. Latin--- My Intern. Rumba ,does not look like my Bolero .

His ability is not in question -- its all about style .

And by the way, pretty much all the B / Room afficianados , look and dance salsa similarly ( have been around many of them socially )-- its not wrong-- just different .

Also remember-- he -- like many others -- are products of the Amer. chain schools system , where Mambo rules .

7. sweavo

sweavo New Member

This is what is meant by "ballroom mambo"... if you have lots of time and enthusiam, learn it, then let it go. Expect raised eyebrows in a salsa club while you are working on this though :)

8. tj

tj New Member

Yeah, I personally wouldn't want to dance like that. ;)

So let me pose this question: is it a good or bad thing that collectively, there's a peer pressure thing about how we all think salsa should be danced?

9. dance234

dance234 New Member

There is no such thing as a perfect basic in a social dance. Not to say there aren't better and worse versions.

If you're looking for a model of someone who has the intellectual and physical ability+training found in the ballroom world, has very good teaching ability, and retains a foot in the social world, I would refer you locally (NYC area) to Jose Decamps. Cheaper and more available, Edgar Osorio.

10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

This is ballroom mambo. Salsa and ballroom don't mix.

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Sorry saludas, but that clip with Kristina is clearly from within the past year or so at most.

As a general reply to the OP:

(1) I don't think there is such a thing as "a" perfect technique for salsa.

(2) I think that while some of the mechanics from ballroom motion might be "translatable," these are not what are being discussed/explained in this clip (aside, perhaps, from the stillness of the open & closed frame/handhold)

(3) Ballroom mambo, as practiced today, is designed to for presentation and to be "readable" from great distance -- this is relatively antithetical to social salsa dancing where the key element is the experience of your partner. As such most of what is popularly recognized as good salsa
    (by salser@s that is) has a smoothness to it that is different from the clear punctuation of ballroom mambo.

12. SDsalsaguy

I think this overstates the case Sagitta. They are certainly far from the same thing. That said, they share a common historical heritage and elements of each can be applicable across genre. The problem (at least as I see it) is when the differences are not recognized and hence adjusted to.

13. Big10

Big10 Member

I agree with SDsalsaguy. I've said it before and I'll say it again: nightclub Salsa dancers (and especially performers/competitors) are adopting more ballroom styling than most people like to admit.

I'm like a few others who wouldn't try to emulate Corky Ballas, but I can respect what he does in the context of what he's trying to do (if that makes sense). Ballroom style is different from New York style -- and both of those styles are different from Cuban style or LA style. Nevertheless, they're all just different styles of the same basic dance.

It's bad when the peer pressure is trying to get everybody to dance On2....;)

Just kidding (sort of :cool:). Seriously, though, I think peer pressure is good when it encourages people to be more compatible dance partners at a minimal level, but I think peer pressure is bad when it discourages the less popular styles in a community from even getting a foothold. In the latter case, it can become a situation of only one available dance style in a community -- rather than one "preferred" dance style with multiple options available on a person-by-person or club-by-club basis.

14. sweavo

sweavo New Member

There was a thread about the "Homogenization of salsa" ... personally, I think it's bad. I don't want perfect technique, I want connection, flavor, and to be surprised and delighted. If everyone does X styling with Y repertoire to Z music, then it's time for me to take up Krumping or something. (you would know how funny that was if you could see me)

15. saludas

saludas New Member

Wow, yes of course you're right.

16. noobster

noobster Member

Yah, ditto.

nycsalsero, if you think that looks nice and you want to look like that, go right ahead and look like that.

I have to ditto sweavo and say it might not make you too popular with followers. Personally I think it looks ridiculous and if I saw that guy heading for me in a club I'd probably go hide in the restroom.

Right on.

In any art, there is some collective understanding about what constitutes the art form, and what constitutes a 'good' example of the art form. The edges are always blurry, but if there is absolutely no general consensus about what's 'good' and what's not, you don't have a discrete art form. If there were no collective judgements about what constituted 'good salsa,' I could go out there and dance a schottische to Quitate la Mascara and nobody would blink an eye. But then there wouldn't be a dance form called 'salsa' per se.

Yeah!! I wanna see sweavo krump!!! Youtube! Youtuuuuube!!! :D

17. tj

tj New Member

Dude, stop stealing my jokes! :wink:

Yeah, I think the tricky part is finding a common ground between you and another dancer if you come from different styles/backgrounds. It's weird how I can click with one student from an instructor but not another from the same school.

It's when I'm not clicking very well with the majority that I know that I need to start making adjustments quickly. (as was painfully obvious last week :rolleyes: :wink: )

18. tj

tj New Member

Wow, I like this answer! :)

19. tangotime

In all fairness to Corky-- style apart, I feel confident he would provide an excellent dance " experience " .

20. SDsalsaguy

Probably true in many respects given his years and level of experience, but that doesn't mean that the aesthetic he's displaying in this clip would be appealing to many in the salsa scene.