Salsa > Does Corky Ballas have good salsa technique?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by nycsalsero, Oct 17, 2007.

1. bro003

bro003 New Member

Yeah! Corcky is teaching perfectly by the book. Very good. When you see Jose or Edgar social dance it looks like they eat salseros for breakfast.

2. I think yes, maybe for the "nightclub" salsa folks, Corky is over dancing... and using more of the Ballroom technique that focuses on very precise movements... Where as the street/nightclub style is a bit more relaxed.

Plus, he is not talking about technique at all... he's just showing the basic Salsa/Mambo step and showing it correctly!

3. IndySpinner

IndySpinner New Member

Corky was a champion International Latin dancer. International Latin technique is not the technique I prefer in Mambo dancing. For example, Corky's leg action has such a knee straightening, especially on the front step. I prefer Mambo technique as taught by prominent American Rhythm champions such as Jose Decamps or Tony Dovolani. International Latin technique has purged much of the original afro-cuban movement and style. American Rhythm has retained much of it.

4. barrefly

barrefly New Member

The perfect salsa basic/dancer is very subjective and is also to be held within context. I prefer (to watch) a certain type of salsa dancer at the clubs, but prefer a different type of salsa dancer in comps/exhibitions. When out club dancing, my daughter really enjoys the great club salseros (with no b/l training), but when it comes to comps and exhibition, she prefers partners that have at least some ballroom/latin training.
    Happy New Year, everyone.