Dance Articles > Does height in dancing matter a lot?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Riri, Aug 17, 2017.

?

Is small height difference a big problem in salsa and tango?

1. it is not a big problem

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. it is a big problem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. something else

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Riri

Riri New Member

My boyfriend and i want to learn salsa and tango but i am 168.5 cm without heels where as he is 168 cm so naturallhy i will be taller a few cm with heels

2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

No. You're close enough that it won't be an issue, especially if you confine yourself to lower-ish heels.

Riri likes this.
  3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Latin shoes for men are also available with heels up to 3cm, Riri!

Riri likes this.
  4. Riri

Riri New Member

Awesome, thank you!

5. Riri

Riri New Member

Awesome, tnx for helping!

6. SoAndSo

SoAndSo New Member

Or simply use Jazz Shoes or (dance) sneakers instead.
    I know, it's against the code or who ever decided, that women have to wear dangerous footwear, but it does not lower your dance quality the tiniest bit. (In the opposite, women dancing in shoes they bought for the looks mainly usually move worse in them, than women who decided for the shoes for a (real) technical reason.)

But the main problem with height actually is the arm lengths of the partners. But as long as you got a good arm tension, that can be compensated with ease.
    I can compensate for mediocre arm tension on smaller women easily, but on very tall ones, that does not work anymore - he probably cannot do that on you neither.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2017
  7. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

There have been a couple of world champs where the lady was same height or a tad taller.
    Partnership Height ( within reason ) has little or nothing to do with ability.

RythmHansen likes this.
  8. RythmHansen

RythmHansen New Member

Hmm, I'll be keeping this in mind as well.

9. Reuven Thetanguero

Reuven Thetanguero Active Member

As long as the two of you feel comfortable, everything else matters very little...