Donating Dancesport Wear to College Teams

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Apr 7, 2009.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

This came up on the thread concerning how many costumes we all own and the average cost of such items. The thought was what to do with older costumes etc. One great idea....donate it to a college ballroom team.

So, for those of you DF members who are on a college team and would like to offer to take donated items...please let us know what you need, what condition things need to be in, and to whom and where to send it to (you may wish to post it if it's a public address - if it's a private address, you may just want to ask DF members to PM a chosen DF delegate for the team).

Please only one posting per college team! Not sure how much you'll get, but hey it's worth a try yes?

[Edit - hint to college team members, make it as easy as possible for our members to send you their donations, if you have a public address that the donations can go to that you can put here, it eliminates a step for our members!]

--------------------

Edited: Will try to keep an updated list here of the teams and contact people etc. that have posted so far (see quoted posts for more detail) -

• See post #2 and #12 - Columbia Dance Team; NY area - PM DF member NonieS for costume and practice wear donations via local pick up or mail
    • See post #3 - MIT Ballroom Dance Team; Boston/NY area - email mitbdt-exec@mit.edu for costumes, practice skirts via "local" pickup or mail
    • See post #6 and #25 - University of Pennsylvania; Philadelphia area - PM DF member Mark or email at markd1991@gmail.com for information for costume, shoe and practice wear donations via reimbursed mail. Current need for new or lightly worn shoes for new members of the team!
    • See post #6 - University of Delaware; Delaware - PM DF member TimJ for information for costume donations
    • See post #8 - University of Connecticut; Connecticut - email ballroom president at president@uconnballroom.com for costume donations
    • See post #11 and #22 - Stanford Ballroom Team; Palo Alto/Bay Area - email captain of team at captain@sbdt.org for costume, practicewear and shoe donations
    • See post #13 - John Hopkins Unniversity; Baltimore MD area - PM or email DF member 19DancerBabyLin at jhuballroom@gmail.com for donations of costumes, shoes, and practice dancewear
    • See post #27 - Harvard Ballroom Team; PM or email DF member Alex.T.H at captain@harvardballroom.org for donations of costumes via reimbursed mail or local pick up
    • See post #30 - George Washington University Team; DC/MD/VA area - email team at ballroom@gwu.edu or PM kimV6 for donations of anything but crazy ostrich feather ballroom gowns via reimbursed mail or local pick up
    • See post #36 and #43 - University of Rhode Island; PM DF member URIBallroom for information for costume and practice wear donations
    • See post #54 - Penn State University team; PM DF member Bushytail3 for donations of latin costumes and smooth dresses via mail
    • See post #59 - UC Berkeley Ballroom team; email president of ballroom team at president@ucbd.org for donations of shoes and costumes
    • See post #75 - Cornell Ballroom team; pm DF member Jananananana or captain@cornelldancesport.org for donations of costumes
    • See post #79 - Bates Ballroom team; Maine - pm DF member OregonO for information and possible pick up on east coast donations of costumes, shoes, practice wear, music, syllabus books etc.
    • See post#94 - Rutgers Ballroom team; NY/NJ area - pm DF member Andbersh for information on donations of costumes, shoes and practice wear.
    • See post#106 - The Ateneo De Manila University (ADMU) DanceSport Club (ADSC); the Philippines - email DF member emkey at mllacsamana@gmail.com for information on donations of costumes. Shipping costs may be reimbursed.
    • See post#107 - Binghamton University Ballroom team; Southern NY area - pm DF member Nybz or email team captain at binghamtondanceteam@yahoo.com, for information on donations of costumes, shoes and practice wear (currently most dancers are doing latin, with a few in standard/smooth).
    • See post#115 - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI); Troy, NY - pm DF member Hanmyo or email team at ballroom@union.rpi.edu for information on donations of shoes, costumes, and/or practicewear.
    • See post#127 - SJSU Dancesport Team, San Jose, CA - email ballroom team president at dancesportclub@susjsu.com for information on donations of shoes, heel guards, and practice wear. Tax deductible documentation can be provided.
    • See post#132 - Southern Methodist University Ballroom Dancing Club/Team; Dallas, Texas - email ballroom team member at smuballroom@gmail.com or pm DF member hiddentwilight for information on donations of shoes, costumes, or anything that might help a ballroom team.
    • See post#150 - Ballroom Club at University of Virginia; Virginia - email DF member cristei at ic9u@virginia.edu for information on donations of shoes, latin and standard (especially men's standard) costumes.
    • See post#152 - Dancing With Wolves - the Ballroom Dance Team at NC State;Raleigh, NC - email DF member cjbarnes at cristopher.barnes@gmail.com for donations of costumes, practice wear, and shoes would be appreciated.
    • See post#153 - University of Maryland - email team president at president@ballroomatmaryland.com for donations of costumes, practice wear etc.
    • See post#155 - UNC-Chapel Hill - email DF member hhannah at hhannahj@gmail.com for any sort of clothing donations, especially syllabus
    • See post#156 - Princeton Ballroom Dance Team - PM DF member Pishogue or e-mail lily.valise@gmail.com for donating any kind of dancewear or ballroom supplies
    • See post#159 - Ballroom Dance at Virginia Tech - e-mail at ballroompresident@vt.edu to donate syllabus wear (skirts, pants, etc.), shoes and technique books.
    • See post#160 - Georgetown University Ballroom Dance Team - PM DF member katherinejh or e-mail at president@georgetownballroom.org to donate costumes and shoes, menswear appreciated.
    • Contact: Yale Ballroom Team - e-mail at captain@yaleballroom.org to donate costumes for women and men, lightly used shoes, and accessories. Tax receipts gladly provided.
    • Contact: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo's DanceSport team - email at info@cpdst.org - accepting Costume, Shoe and Practicewear donations.
    • Contact: NYU Ballroom Dance Team - PM DF member Dlliba10 or e-mail at ballroomteam.club@nyu.edu to donate costumes, shoes, practicewear, and ballroom paraphernalia.
    • See post#198 - Valparaiso University Ballroom Team; Indiana - contact DF member Silmarwen or the ballroom captain at e-mail VU.Ballroom@gmail.com to donate ballroom costumes and supplies. Can provide tax receipts and shipping cost/pick ups.
    • Contact: University of Illinois DanceSport team - PM DF member ruby-dance, current president of the ballroom team - accepting Costume donations for competition and performance.
    • See post #220 - UMASS Amherst Ballroom Team; Massachusetts - Contact DF member UMASSshoesandcostumes or email at UMASSshoesandcostume@gmail.com to donate costumes for competition (open and syllabus), dancewear and shoes in fair to excellent condition. Tax receipts can be provided, pickups in Massachusetts (and in wider Northeast) possible.
    • See post #271 - Exeter University DanceSport Society (England)
      Contact DF Member Janson on DF or email at tak202@exeeter.ac.uk for donations of competition dancewear, shoes, syllabus-level practice wear, dresses, shirts, trousers.
    • See post # 272 - University of Texas; Texas - Email at txb.competitiondirectors@gmail.com to donate costumes for competition, dancewear and shoes in good to excellent condition.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Hello, I am not an officer of the team anymore (I'm not sure if our officers are on DF) but I am on Columbia University's team and I know that we would LOVE a costume donation. Last year the president was offering to buy my latin from me but I still needed it... so I think that a donation would be very much appreciated.

Anyways, since we are located in NY I could easily pick up dresses from a studio or you could send them to me... PM me if you need my address or are interested in helping out Columbia's dance team.
  3. klg

klg New Member

I'm on the MIT Ballroom Dance Team; most of our costumes were donated to the team by former members. We'd *really* appreciate any dresses, practice skirts, and men's costumes that would otherwise be left to gather dust in your closet. Right now, though, we're especially in need of Latin costumes.

We'd accept costumes in almost any condition; our costume coordinator works hard to repair and clean costumes.

We could pick up donations from anywhere in the Boston area. Some of our team members visit NY regularly, so we might be able to arrange to pick up costumes from there, too. If you'd like to make a donation, please contact mitbdt-exec@mit.edu

Thanks! :D
  4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Already some good responses here (enough that I'm going to have to check my closet too, know I have an extra pair of pants in almost new ocndition, and looking to replace my vest). If responses continue,w ondering if this might be a thread worth tacking to top of forum so that it can be easily found in an ongoing nature. Always going to be people ending up with extra/unused costumes, and sounds like there will always be teams looking for said costumes.

Just a thought. :)
  5. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

What about tax breaks for the donations? Does anyone know how that works?
  6. TimJ

TimJ New Member

I help out the University of Pennsylvania Ballroom Team and have setup donations for them before. I also used to help out the University of Delaware team and still do work with them sometimes and they accept donations as well. Both teams will accept costumes in any condition as they both work to restore and maintain all of their costumes. If you are interested in donating to either team send me a PM for more information.

If you are a business then yes, donating to a college team is a tax write off (this would include instructors as well as costume designers, shoe companies, etc.) I am not sure about the exact process for writing it off as an individual but I do know that it is possible.
  7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

If it's like other donations you'd need a reciept from the team (I *think* with their school tax ID number) indicating the quantity and value of items donated. And given the value of some ballroom gowns and tailsuits, that could even put you over the standard deduction, so it would be worth getting a receipt.
  8. apeacock

apeacock Member

The UConn team has also gotten most of it's costumes from donations. If anyone is interested in donating, please contact our president at president@uconnballroom.com.

Thanks,
    Adam
  9. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I had the president of the ballroom team write me a letter which included their address, description of the items and their declared value (and also both of our signatures). According to my accountant, that was enough to write it off, but you might want to check with yours.
  10. tanya_the_dancer

I think the rules on donations changed recently, I read a story on that on MSNBC shortly before christmas (when a lot of people do their donations, I guess), that now you have to provide a receipt all (or almost all) non-cash donations. I'll try to find a link later, if they still have it.

Adding this link: http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/CutYourTaxes/IRSTightensCharitableGiftRules.aspx

excerpt from the link:

"Always get a receipt
    Never throw noncash contributions into an unmanned bin where you can't get a receipt.

No receipt means no deduction. If you're in the 25% bracket, a thousand dollars worth of old clothes tossed in a bin without a receipt is exactly the same as throwing away $250 in cash. So always ask for a receipt and make sure it includes:

* The organization's name.

* The date of the donation.

* The amount of the contribution

A log of any contributions is no longer sufficient. "
  11. TAK

TAK Member

For West Coasters, the Stanford Ballroom Dance Team is more than happy to take donations--we don't have a huge amount of loaner costumes and really need to add to our collection! Contact captain [at] sbdt [dot] org.
  12. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I would like to add also that Columbia currently has 1 team costume :( so we would gladly accept some more!!!
  13. Hi all,

I just started a new team here at Johns Hopkins. We're barely one semester old, we have nothing, so we need EVERYTHING! Will take all shoes, practice dancewear and costumes. I'm sure I can put everything to good use! Please PM me or email jhuballroom@gmail.com.

Thank you so much!
    Lin
  14. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Pardon my ignorance, but are college teams limited by what the costumes look like, i.e., are rhinestoned costumes okay?
  15. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Some of the costumes are clearly vintage and over-the-top -- I doubt many teams care, and in many cases better than trying to retro-fit a cocktail dress or prom gown for competition purposes.

edit to add: generally only Newcomers are prohibited from wearing costumes.
  16. tanya_the_dancer

They can still use whatever they want for their performances. Our college ballroom club does about 3 formal parties per year, with showcases, so they used smooth/standard dresses I donated for a waltz formation, even though one of them was stoned, so it was not appropriate for a closed competition (they could use it for open, I suppose).
  17. latingal

I'm sure teams could probably use both closed and open syllabus costumes (non-rhinestoned/decorated and all out).

So far I only see one team accepting good condition shoes. I have probably five or six pairs of new or almost new latin shoes that need a home (you end up with alot when trying to find your "perfect" shoe).

Also, a couple of teams have indicated practice wear too. Have some skirts that I bought thinking they'd look good on me, but really didn't work for me.

Should take a couple of days to go through stuff in my closet before I pack a box up...
  18. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

My experience has been....and confirmed by our CPA. A receipt letter - on the organizations letterhead - noting the donation - description and value of donation - with the letter address to the actual person(s) donating. If the accepting organization is a private non-profit it helps to have the organizations tax I.D. on their letterhead somewhere. I have never had a problem in this regard. I accept donations on behalf of our sport organization (not ballroom) and I also have donated to sporting organizations.
  19. latingal

Yep, just started me going through my closet for stuff to donate too!

Looking in to this now!
  20. Yanou

Yanou Member

Thanks for starting this thread. I'll go through my closet over the weekend.