Tango Argentino > Don't impress her with your fancy steps! Impress her with your...

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Ampster, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Me

Me New Member

Na, I think it is universal. Americans lovingly refer to as 'going postal.' :) I've heard it called 'workplace rage' before, but 'going postal' is, much to the chagrin of the USPS, part of our common vernacular!

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

why 'postal'?

3. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Because post office (postal) workers in the US have a disturbing tendency to go off the rails and shoot up the post office, including their co-workers. Has happened several times.

4. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

In reference to a cluster of news-making workplace shootings in U.S. by what were commonly described as "disgruntled postal workers" (the cliche itself, though not the phrase, goes back to at least 1994).

5. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

6. Cortado

Cortado New Member

One of the teachers i know is renown for admonishing his demonstrators on following techniques while he is teaching in front of the whole class. Funnily enough, he does not have a regular demonstrator and has to ask the better followers in the class to help him out. The grimace on the selected one used to send the rest of the class in giggles but it has reached the point where many good dancers are avoiding the class completely and the overall numbers and the standard have dropped.

Onother teacher that i also know does exactly the reverse. He would demonstrate the class to all of us and explain the technical points etc. then walk around and give advice to anybody who is not doing it right. He would always speak to the leader about what he could be improving to get the follower to follow and always assume that the follower is just doing what she is doing because the lead is lacking. For example if she is changing weight unexpectedly, he would ask the leader to lift her slightly on one side etc.. I remember struggling with one follower and after following his advice to the letter several times I still could not get the follower to do it. He suggested something else, then to my hidden amusement he tried to lead her ....... and failed. He calmly said "It does not always work" and then proceeded to coach her in a very quiet voice for the following 5 minutes.

7. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

In keeping with my original post...

Gahhh, last night, I happened again!

There's this guy who shows up in our milonga dressed like the stereo-typical "Tango" dancer (vest, two-color shoes, slick hair, etc.). He starts dancing with one of our long time Tangueras who happens to dance AT so beautifully. Then, at the start of the next song, he stops and starts lecturing her about something. :mad: He was talking about frame, posture, and arm tension, direction. Our Tanguera friend just nods with a glazed look in her eyes.

After the tanda, I take a break, rest my leg and watch so more. Dude is dancing with a ballroom dancer frame. Not quite right for an AT venue. Trying to impose it on a real Tanguera is even worse.

Just a piece of advice gentlemen. Please don't teach at a milonga. Dance your dance, and make the best of it.

In this case, the lady he was lecturing dances way better than he does. She was just too polite to tell him to go...

8. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Coming a bit late to the party...

Re: speaking up
    Not all of them - I make strenuous efforts to avoid speaking up during social dancing. To me, the main purpose of social dancing is to enjoy yourself, not to work on improving your technique.

No kidding. Yes, each dance has its own culture and etiquette, and yes you should learn at least something about those aspects - but some people take this to extremes.

Goodness, I think three such crushing rejections in one night would leave me a quivering wreck. One is bad enough...

9. Angel HI

Well Worth Reading Again

The problem with all of this is the audacity of many to believe that they have the answer/s to everyone else's dance dilemmas. There are so many variables that go into dance and dancing with a partner, it is amazing that so many people know exactly what to tell the other person to correct "their" issues. The following is well worth reading again....

Thanks MM

10. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Yes, well, from that same Going postal wikipedia page...

Researchers have found that the homicide rates per 100,000 workers at postal facilities were lower than at other workplaces. In major industries, the highest rate of 2.1 homicides per 100,000 workers was in retail. The next highest rate of 1.66 was in public administration, which includes police officers.

2. As you look through that page, note that editors have inserted many "citation needed" tags. The next step would be to tag the article with "This article lacks references", etc.
    3. The quality of pages in Wikipedia is quite variable.

11. Angel HI

Steve, are you taking offense or exception to the meaning? They/We were only explaining why the term...not it's validity.

12. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

No, not offense.
    Just trying to point out something that I think is relevant.
    "Going retail" wouldn't be much of a fun saying.
    Or come to think of it, maybe Americans do too much of that already.

13. Angel HI

:uplaugh: Right you are. Going retail. Gotta love it.

14. FatBaldGuy60

FatBaldGuy60 New Member

Saw an espisode of "The Pretender" once where some guy was wondering why it was always "postal". He said "Some bus driver did that last week. Why didn't they say he was going bustal?" Poor guy seemed really worked up about it.

FBG

15. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

How about going Tangal?

16. Aurora

Aurora New Member

I'll just jump in to add my support to this statement! When I started dancing, my favorite leaders were the ones who accepted my statement that I was just beginning and didn't try to force advanced moves and tricks on me. Even now, a couple of my favorites leaders don't do anything difficult - but the connection and their demeanor always puts a smile on my face! I love dancing with them.

I also appreciate the leaders who will try something out but not force it. If something isn't working after trying it 2-3 times, whether it's my fault or the leader's, they'll drop it (and hopefully work on it with me at a practica).

17. Angel HI

Welcome to the DF, Aurora. Great name.

18. MaggieB

MaggieB New Member

You all do realize that the custom in Buenos Aires is to say THANK YOU to your partner if you are finished dancing with them? That does not have to be at the end of a tanda.
    I realize that can be sticky sometimes but if done matter of factly, before they can assume that you intend to continue dancing with them, it doesn't hurt so bad.

Nah. Thanks for saying that. There are a couple of guys I know who fall into the pattern he described. I managed to avoid one this weekend, the other I didn't know to avoid. Completely miserable tanda. But the thing is, I'm on friendly terms with them and like them personally, so turning them down is...sticky.[/QUOTE]

19. basicarita

basicarita Member

You don't have to bet. I'm a swing dancer and a salsera. It's a virtual certainty.

I have my own theories as to why ... but that's probably another post altogether.

For the meantime, it's enough to cheer Ampster and say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

(P.S. Ismael Otero, a very well-known salsero, says the EXACT. SAME. THING. Coincidence? I think not. :D)

20. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

basicarita:

*Blushing* :friend: YOUR WELCOME, YOURE WELCOME, YOUR WELCOME !!! cool: