Dancers Anonymous > "Don't Marry Career Women"? LOL

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by africana, Aug 23, 2006.

1. africana

africana New Member

SW post referenced the following Forbes.com article...it appears to have been "dis-connected"

http://agreatnotion.livejournal.com/553587.html

:shock: :shock:
    that someone would dare write such a piece

but ya know, despite its political incorrectness the article seems pretty on point, we expect too much from a man LOL

I guess I better spend and enjoy all the $$ I'm making then since I'm not marriage material hahaaa!

2. Just glanced at the article, but marriage does appear to be more complicated these days. (speaking as an outsider who's been single for 18 yrs) Personally, I wouldn't be intimidated by a wife who was more successful and would be supportive of her, but I tend to agree with the writer in that most women prefer to marry up (having the man as the main breadwinner). The institution of marriage is definately having a hard go of it. Probably why alot of American men are marrying women from abroad.

3. nikita

nikita New Member

OMG...what an article...

Some days ago I read a general thread about the Islam culture, which I liked very much. I think, it's similar in the Macho societies:

Generally spoken:
    The man is responsible for the wealth of the family and everything "outside". The woman never interferes into his career.

The woman is responsable for everything inside the house, but she also is managing the finances of the family. The man never interferes.

And now it comes:
    In case she is working, all the money belongs to her, she can spent it just for herself. She doesn't has to to support the family, since this is his responsibility:D .
    Seeing from this point of view it doesn't matters at all, if she earnes something, or not.

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

OMG, what a hilarious, offensive, showcase-for-poor-understanding-of-data, let's-display-our-own-personal-hangups, article. I was so tempted to be royally ticked off about it, until I realized just how incredibly stupid the author is in his interpretations. Wow, what a great thing to read first thing in the morning.

To be fair, I'm not disputing his points. I just think there's a whole host of other factors involved that he's not even bothering to point out, and is too comfortable just dumping the blame on "career women."

Wow. I'm wondering if I should feel exceptionally sorry for his wife, or thinking that he's going to be eternally single.

Wow. What a piece of trash.

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Tell us how you really feel!

6. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

this is kinda funny....

professional women are more likely to cheat? I dunno...stay at home moms seem to have the advantage of plenty of time and lots of men coming to the door....

Most women I know not only *love* that their husbands work long hours, but love it even more when they travel all the time! That's the reason there is no statistical effect - the women are happier! ;)

well, *duh* the non-working spouse can't afford to be divorced. Nor can the working spouse.

This *never* happens to me. I clearly need to work for a company that has more than just the boss and me!

7. mamboqueen

And so there is no misunderstanding, nothing I said above is meant to be negative towards SAHM's. I did it and LOVED it.

And so did the plumber. Mooo ha ha ha ha!!!

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I just don't even have the energy to talk about all of the variables that this study didn't control for...I will let some scholarly journal rip em a new one (and the ladies above are doing a fine job of it as well)...bottom line...yea, if she works out side the home something's gotta give or go and since it isn't usually the guy...well its gonna be the house or the dinner or whatever...and if she has some independence she won't as afraid to leave if the guy isn't holding up his end of the bargain......running from this thread...just dont have the time for it today

9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yeah, sorry about that. Not fully awake. Thought censors not fully functional yet.

I actually wasn't all that ticked off. More just...disbelief, I guess. So many variables not considered...unbelievable that it would get published...was there no review?...how many people won't think further and take is as gospel...

10. fascination

let's not worry about them

11. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Though I'm otherwise very opinionated, I don't know what to say about this. Whatevah.

T_E

12. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

A well-known (in our area) performer told our daughter that she shouldn't persue a career in law because "guys don't like strong women" and she wouldn't be able to find a husband.
    I will agree with the housekeeping, cooking, etc., sliding when both are working outside the home. I am working full-time after being at home for 25+ years, and it sure has changed things at our house! And we don't have children (all grown) to add to the mix.
    As far as the increased affairs, etc.--if that's what you're looking for, you will find it, inside or outside of the house. I don't understand why the woman working creates a problem in that area, but not the man. I guess we are just too weak to resist?

13. fascination

well the study wasn't about working versus non working men---I would guess and only guess that the bigger issue regarding affairs(at least one's that actually turn into leaving the spouse) has something to do with financial dependence issues and numerous other factors....not one gender being inherently weaker than the other ....

14. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

I loved one of the rebuttal articles that made a comment to the effect of:

What? You're saying that all working women hire consistently poor housecleaners? I don't get it . . .

In any case, the whole thing just goes to show how easy it is to manipulate statistics to serve your purpose. I just can't believe that it was originally published under the "Careers" section of such a high-profile magazine. (I guess it was moved to "Opinions" after all the fuss.)

15. mamboqueen

It all comes down to money, doesn't it?

Like I always say: money is the root of all evil, and every woman needs roots!

16. fascination

yep...and most guys have them

17. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

The only valid point he does have is that housekeeping slides if you both work and try to do it yourself. That's true.

18. africana

africana New Member

OMG love it!!!!! :lol: :lol:

19. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

There is far more truth to your words than you might realize...

Yeah, I looked into the poll that the Forbes story was based on. Let me tell you a bit of the backstory. The poll was commissioned by a life insurance company, which sees the class of women who were polled (mostly high-income single women) as a lucrative potential market. The poll's internals contain all kinds of contradictions. For instance, they say that 90% of the women they polled feared that some unspecified event might put them in the poorhouse at any moment. And yet, they also report that about 45% of the same women say they have confidence in their ability to manage money, and that they feel secure about their retirement. Those two things don't appear to reconcile. A lot of this is probably explained by the actual wording of the poll questions, but that information wasn't available in the article that I found about it.

My opinion is that the poll was pre-conceived to reach a particular conclusion for the client. Not surprisingly, it did so, in spectacular fashion, so to speak. :rolleyes: Given this, I have no idea how the Forbes article got past the editors -- in my experience, Forbes doesn't usually get that sloppy.

20. dgcasey

dgcasey New Member

Actually they do reconcile. The first one saying the 90% of the women fear that something could happen, external to their situations, that could cause the loss of their jobs. Terrorist attack, economy downturn, whatever. At the same time, 45% say that they are confident in managing the money they earn and the security of their retirement. They're saying that they manage the money they do earn, right now, effectively. That doesn't go against the first statistic. It's two different questions about two different scenarios.