General Dance Discussion > Do's and Don't for Dancing Men

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Oct 11, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I got this topic from a popular ballroom web site, but it made me curious. What are you dancing women looking for in your dance partners? A guy who can dance? What kind of dance? And what kind of personal interactions? A study quoted in an article I read shows that 99% of men started dancing to meet women. So what do you women want/look for in a dancing man? :D

2. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

I guess two of my most important things I look for in a partner is rhythm and confidence. I'm a lover Salsa mainly but for me it applies to any dance. I've been to so many classes where a lot of guys cover up "not being able to get the beat" with "you're not following my lead" :? which kinda leads to the next trait I look for. A guy who is confident about his dance but not arrogant. A big turn-off is a guys who says look "I'm the leader and you're making me look bad!" :!: A good dancer/leader doesn't have to proclaim his greatness, it shows on the dance floor.

3. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Wow, guys really say those things :shock: I just don't get dudes like that.

4. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

do: chew gum
    do: use good posture
    do: watch where your hands are
    do: try to stay on timing (emphasis on try)
    do: be aggressive and LEAD!

don't: step on me and then blame it on me
    don't: try to look like a pro if you are not, be yourself
    don't: be afraid to ask someone to dance
    don't: listen to your friends if they call you a "fairy" for dancing
    don't: set your goals too low

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

OK, MissAlyssa, I'm listening . . .

I bought some gum to chew
    I got a back brace to help keep the posture "up for you"
    If I watch my hands to much I can't watch your . . . ahem!!!
    I'm going back to grade school to learn those darn numbers
    But you just told me to watch my hands

If I step on you, does that mean you didn't learn that move?
    Professionally, I am always myself
    Does this mean you'll dance with me?
    I kissed the last one that called me a "fairy" for dancing
    But "how low can you go?"

6. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

haha, you are too funny vince

7. Frodo

Frodo New Member

Looks useful to know.

I'm just a little curious as to the reason for the 'Chew Gum' "do" though. :?

( I would have thought of it in the past as a "don't", simply because it can be distracting ).

8. pygmalion

Yay Frodo! Thanks for your first post! :D

I wondered about that, too. I don't care for gum chewers, myself. But definitely use some sort of breath-freshener, at several points during the night. (This goes for men or women! :D ) It's better to be sure you have fresh breath, rather than assume. I think that's what MissAlyssa meant. :? 8)

9. Sarah

Sarah New Member

I don't much like gum-chewers either - do you guys have Listerine strips yet? Basically a tiny pack of paper thin minty squares which disolve pretty much instantly when you stick them on your tongue. Useful stuff.

Cheers
    Sarah

10. pygmalion

Yes. Those strips are magic! :D Nice and inconspicuous. The little bottles of squeeze-in breath freshener are nice too, but a little more obvious, unless you excuse yourself and handle it between dances. :D

11. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

BINACA lol. Yes, I meant make sure your breath isn't kickin :D

12. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

LOL funny story is that the very first time I tried one of those I made the HORRIBLE mistake of breathing through my nose!! oowwww!! I learned my lesson... don't try it! I perfer the WinterFresh ones to the Listerine... a bit more palettable. Awesome concept though.

I had a classmate last year from Japan and she had hand soap that came the same way-- it blew my mind! lol Apparently she is used to having to supply her own soap in public restrooms and such.

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I never leave home w/o those strips in my pocket . . .

14. pygmalion

Don't: try to teach me to dance during the dance. I went to a salsa event recently, and one of the gentlemen there spent every dance we had "teaching" me. "I want your hands here." " When I lead the x-body lead, I want you to ..." and so on. Ha! Instant attitude from me. Okay, hands is one thing. I should make them accessible to the leader (although no one has ever complained before, including my teachers), but a cross-body lead? Ha! Once you lead it, all I have to do is whatever I want, as long as I'm ready to move on the down beat. Sometimes leads can be so amazingly arrogant. :x :lol:

15. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I know! I just had that happen to me... it was the first time I was ever annoyed with it. I hadn't been dancing in a long time then when I go I go to the same place I tend to go and the very first dance I have was with this guy who even stopped in the middle of the dance to give me instruction. I figured I might as well listen to what he had to say but I did not appreciate his method one bit. At the end of the dance he compliments me on how quickly I picked it up. Ya Think? Almost like I know the dance or something!