Dancers Anonymous > Double Oven? or not...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by 3wishes, Sep 10, 2012.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ok, all y'all. TC (yes I'm outting you) and I have been discussing the things I will be doing to my kitchen (not changing the footprint) updating ideas after I retire in 10 days.
    I would LOVE to change-out my 3-year old, stainless steel counter high, glasstop, all electic oven/range. It has one single big oven box and a lower warming drawer.
    That said, I love love love to bake. With the exception that using a big single oven box for a cookie sheet of goods, or a lasagna or one pie...really heats up the kitchen.
    TC asked, double oven? well, I had one of those in previous house,
    I saw a counter high gas range/oven that has a smaller oven box just
    under the burners and then a larger oven box. I'm thinking the smaller oven would be perfect for my "single" bakery items when I'm not cooking for a crowd and it won't heat the kitchen up as much.
    Does anyone cook/bake with one of these stove/oven combinations? any DF reviews on such a thing would really help me to decide "keep current big oven/range" or "go with counter high double oven/range"....:cool: A few thoughts are greatly appreciated before I jump into updating in the next few weeks.:rolleyes:

2. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

I actually did a lot of my smaller baking in a toaster oven. DW has, unfortunately, banned it to the basement for being too ugly and taking up too much room on the counter. ;-)

3. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

I don't have the two oven piece you are looking at, but I think it would be a great idea. When I remodeled my kitchen, all four kids were still at home, and I really needed two ovens. I got a 36" stove with a gas cooktop, and a smaller 30" unit that has a microwave, warming drawer, and oven in a stack. I love it.....but, now that the kids are all gone, I have this huge oven that I have to confess I don't use a lot. I use the smaller oven more because it heats up the kitchen way less, and is big enough for everyday.

I had looked at one of the units you're describing, but at the time it wouldn't have worked. Now, different story.

4. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

We recently replaced my old range with one of these. I'd estimate DW uses the small upper oven 80% of the time. (She loves to bake also.) She really likes it. Since I've forgotten how to cook aside from meat on the outdoor grill, I'm neutral.

(Would have thought my 5000th post would have been more profound, but c'est la vie... LOL!)

5. 3wishes

YES! I was hoping for a variety of input....here's the thing...
    I have the standard issue "above the range" microwave that is in the upper cabinet space, and really, I love the microwave but the VENT that is suppose to intake the hot air from the stove, range, etc...well, it's less than perfect...much less.
    If I switch from all electric to gas range,,,this may help.
    I've heard good things about natural gas ranges.
    If I switch from "big oven box with bottom warming drawer" to just the smaller oven box on the top of bigger oven box - I think I would bake alot more than I currently do, I miss baking but I don't miss the heat in the kitchen. Maybe I'll take the microwave out andput in a hood vent as well that actually does exhaust the hot air out of the kitchen. Any more input is still appreciated.

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I have a single gas oven/range that I love, mostly because I don't know how to cook on an electric range and because I HATE glass top ranges. That said, it's not what you're really asking about.

My brother had a range like you describe, except it was an electric smooth-top one. But the small top oven was handy for baking/heating smaller things. It didn't heat up the kitchen nearly as much. As for downsides: it is shockingly hard to peer into that little top component. I found that particularly annoying. You have to find somewhere else to store whatever it is you normally store in the warming drawer, and I have yet to find a great place for the assortment of baking sheets and pizza stones we keep down there. Also, it means the big oven is a lot smaller than youre used to. Not a big deal if you don't use it a lot, but if you do or will need it for it things or lots of things (like at thanksgiving, Christmas, etc) it can be a problem. Also, I found that the height difference made it more awkward to deal with getting big/heavy things (turkeys) out of the big lower oven. Don't ask me how, it just was.

That said, anything is better than a built in wall oven, particularly if you're short.

7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Not quite what you're asking, but we have a double wall oven. When we built our house, we asked the same question about whether we would ever use two ovens, and we had decided to make it a single oven. At the last minute before the drawings were sent to the cabinet shop, we changed it to a double oven.

Now we're glad we did. We do tend to use the upper oven more, but there have been plenty of occasions where it has come in very handy to have two ovens. When you're doing a somewhat fancier meal and you have two things that need to bake at different temperatures, or one thing that needs to broil, it's great to not have to kluge the recipe for one of the items, or leave it out until the other item is done. We also tend to do most of the broiling in the lower oven, because it's easier to keep an eye on broiling items when you can crack the door open and look down at them.

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I grew up in a house with a double conventional oven. In the places I've lived since then, I've had electric ranges, gas ranges, smooth top ranges, double (conventional) ovens, an oven and microwave combination, and single oven/range combination. You name it. I've lived a lot of places.

I'm going to vote with cornutt, here. I'd go for the double oven. You might not use it often, but, on the occasions when you do, it will be priceless. (Think making turkey for Thanksgiving while the grandkids' gingerbread men are baking.)

What I hate about the oven/microwave combination (I had a built-in microwave.) is that the oven is much sturdier than the microwave. I had to replace the microwave three times in seven years, while the oven only needed a replacement lightbulb once in seven years. ( I had a "top of the line" microwave, that time around. What a piece of junk! for a lot of money. If I had that decision to make again, I'd go with a standalone microwave - much cheaper and a lot easier to replace.)

@ Peaches Cooking on an electric range does take a few weeks of adjustment. The big difference, IME, is that electric rangetops retain heat for a long time. With a gas stove, when you turn the fire down/off, the reaction is immediate. With an electric range, there's a pretty significant lag. So, while you're adjusting from one type to the other, you'll probably boil over a couple times. No biggie. You'd get used to it pretty quickly, IMO. :-D

9. Peaches

If you end up going with a double wall oven (not what you're currently thinking/asking about, but that's never stopped me from chiming in anyway), put a lot of thought into the height. With my SIL's, I really can't take anything out of her oven--it's just too high for me. Ditto with my parents' upper oven. It's a bit of a bugger.

10. pygmalion

I agree. The double ovens I've used have basically been one oven *almost* right on top of the other. The lower oven was a little bit of a bend. The upper oven a *little bit* of a stretch. But both were a comfortable reach for me. I'm 5'4" -- average height for an American woman.

No point in having an oven that you have to ask somebody tall to reach for you. My $0.02.

11. Peaches

See, and my parents' lower oven is at waist height for me, I think. (I'm about the same height as you.) The upper one is impossible. The bottom of my SIL's is about at boob height. (Don't ask.) Yeah, peering in is right at eye level, but there's no way I can take anything out when it's hot.

Granted, if I had more upper body strength it might be less of an issue. But still.

12. pygmalion

Yeah. Height can make a huge difference. Who the heck wants to use an oven you can't reach?

If you're doing a custom built-in deal, I would ask the cabinet-maker dudes to adjust the height until it works for you.

13. Peaches

Or go with a counter height, range top, small top/large bottom oven combo. Wait a minute... ;-)

14. 3wishes

Snicker, thanks Peaches,,,and yes, as you realized-chuckle-in your last post, I'm looking at counter height, one piece of equipment, potentially gas range (which would mean we have to plumb for a gas line), with a smaller upper oven box and the larger component box rather than a bottom warming drawer. The input has been fabulous. THANKS all.

15. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Yay, 3wishes! I can add a poll to the thread if you'd like. :)

16. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Wait, you guys have ovens up high on the walls?

17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Well, that depends on what you mean by "high". The control panel of ours is at eye level to me, so yeah, the top oven is at my chest height. The door handle of the bottom oven is at my beltline. There's a warming drawer squeezed in down at the bottom.

18. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Note on storage: we use the large oven more for storing pans and baking sheets than baking. The two cast iron skillets do usually wind up in the small oven though. YMMV.

19. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

I have a built-in double oven. Controls for both are at my eye level (avg height man). Top oven mostly gets used, bottom oven comes into play when we are entertaining. Where I live, heating up the house with the oven is not a problem, even in the summer.

20. pygmalion

When I was growing up, we used both ovens most Sundays. Of course, there were a ton of us and we had huge, family Sunday dinners that usually involved some sort of roast beast, a bunch of sides and a baked dessert. But still. IME, a double oven is one of those things that you can't possibly see a need for ... until you have it and then realize you can't live without it. *grin*

Go for it , 3w.