Salsa > Dress codes at your salsa clubs?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by salsachinita, May 27, 2004.

1. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Inspired by all these talks about jeans and whether or not people dress up to go dancing, I am just wondering.......

What's the dress code at your local salsa clubs, or clubs you have visited...?

Our clubs used to be more dressed up, no jeans, runners (sneakers) etc. This seems to have eased with the popularity of 'streetwear' trends over the years. Now, apart from special functions or 'dressy' venues, most salsa clubs don't seem to enforce a dress code (of course, within reasons).

*some of these 'streetwear' (read: designer casuals) do, and often cost more than 'dressy' items :shock: !*

The other reason for this casualisation is because of our Aussie laid-back attitude....it's just not a dress-up-formally kind of culture. So our clubs may be a bit more tolerant compared to other majar cities, me thinks :? .

It can actually be very uncool to over-dress in many clubs here :shock: .....

As TJ said in one of the other threads, a girl was refused entry at Mayan for wearing baggy jeans. I remember seeing signs at places like Copa (NYC) & Mayan (LA) stating "No khakis, no baggies, no jeans, no sneakers, no team colours etc. etc"

So let's share this information here! We DF members like to go salsa dancing in other cities. I can't think of anything worse than getting refused entry because we didn't know the dress code :roll: !

2. Sabor

Sabor New Member

we dont have any particular dress code here.. its left to everyones own scale of what works and what doesn't.. so, so long as one is not naked they'll go thru.. yet if someone looks obviously dirty or offensive in any hygenic way they'll not pass.. logically.

personally, i prefer no code because its simply takes away from my freedom of dressing the way i like at that particular moment in time.. hence we rely on the existence of a minumum general awareness of eticate and carrying oneself any where public.. plus .. it gives u an added insight to how people are, partially, over time, when they act on their fashio impulse..

that said.. i always prefer the the feminine sexy dress on a salsera over other stuff beause it just gives added boost to my energy somehow.. pants are be cool of course.. with their varying cuts, material and colors but not most of the time.. in my view.. leave the pants for guys :wink: it suits them more :lol:

3. Jack

Jack New Member

I always dress up, Its just the way I go out..I feel comfortable anywhere like this.

4. squirrel

squirrel New Member

In the club where I go, there is no dress code... anybody can choose their clothing...

I like dressing up, but sometimes I go in jeans... still, never sneakers...

:)

5. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

In Japan, no rules at all. Most people here tend to get cold easily, so you'll notice a lot of people in long-sleeved shirts at the dance clubs(be it hip hop or latin), while I'm sweating my butt of in a skimpy camisole...

My rule of thumb when going ANYWHERE-
    It's better to be overdressed than underdressed! :D

6. ketchup

ketchup New Member

I never realized that :lol: , although I am one of those. :wink:

7. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Well said, cocodrilo... I also prefer being overdressed! :roll:

8. Sabor

Sabor New Member

so long as no one else wears lime-green socks.. its fine by me, cause thats my look :mrgreen:

9. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Sabor... I knew your taste had to include some lime... don't know why, but it sure fits you :lol: :roll: :lol:

10. Sabor

Sabor New Member

i'm not sure .. but i'll take that as a compliment, with but a squeeze of lime :lol:

11. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:idea: I have a lime dress that would match your socks real well :lol: !

12. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Here in Manhattan there isn't really, per se, a salsa club, well, the Wild Palm in the bronx is probably the only one left. Here we have mainstream clubs that dedicate a given night of the week to salsa.

The Copa isn't seen as a salsa club, nor a dance club any longer. So you must be "presentable" to go there. No Jeans, No baggie clothing, no cut off sleeves for males, no sneakers, etc.

The nights that are meant for Salsa Dancers, not latin night, but Pure 100% know how salsa/mambo dancing, are casual. Even if advertise as dress to impress you can wear jeans. That is if it isn't a Friday or Saturday Night at a Mainstream club which has a side room to dedicate to us dancers. Then you must adhere to the rules of dress with "taste".

Socials, you pretty much dress like you are going to the beach, the gym, it doesn't matter, you wear whatever you desire.

Personaly, you won't catch me dead dress down dancing even to the beach. I am more comfortable dressing up whenever I dance. Sweat-pants, jeans, or a T shirt, Tank Top, aren't comfortable to me. But put me in a pair of slacks, a button down shirt and I'm as comfortable as the guy in the sweat pants and the T-shirt.

13. danceguy

danceguy New Member

The few places in my area for Salsa list the dress code as the following:

"No sports hats or clothing, classy attire required."
    "Dress code enforced."
    And some clearly say "No jeans." or simply "Dress code."

Honestly, I've never any of these venues really enforce this, but most of the more serious dancers do dress up a bit. I always go in dark dress slacks and a matching dress shirt with a white tee underneath, and my trusty soft soled dancing shoes. I like to dress up a bit...as well as observing good hygiene, it gives me a bit more confidence in myself. ;)

I see some folks in jeans now and then, more with ladies than guys. I do wish that more of the ladies wore dresses... :D :banana:

SG

14. tj

tj New Member

Lime? Did someone say lime?

Bartender, mojitos all around! :D

15. tj

tj New Member

In Seattle, there's no dress code. Even when a place advertises it, I've never seen anyone get turned away.

In Denver, I never had any issues except for Alex at La Rumba not liking it when I'd walk in wearing my Blochs. It was perfectly ok for me to bring in a small backpack with them inside, and just wear nice shoes at the entrance.

At a club in Chicago, I got turned away because I was wearing black jeans.

At one club in NYC, they enforced a "no jeans" policy. It was ok, since I called ahead of time and already knew.

Personally, I like it when people dress up. I won't wear anything particularly fancy, but I will wear my nicer clothes in general.

16. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

TJ -- would you believe that Jorge got turned away from Beso for wearing some sort of sleeveless shirt? At least, according to my friend. Weird. Eep! Also, most places don't allow any kind of hats on the guys.

I like to see that people have taken some sort of effort to look nice. Generally the women are okay, but I've seen some guys out there and thought to myself -- that's how he presents himself at his BEST? for going out? Eeeesh. *shrug* You don't need to spend a lot of money to look decent.

17. tj

tj New Member

Really? I guess it's good I don't wear either. Why do they worry about either of those items?

I thought I've seen a couple of guys wearing hats at the Century - Marcello, for one. Maybe not...

Lol! There's a guy I know who wore sweatpants and a T-shirt when he went to the Wilsonian one night. And he had his tennis shoes treated so that he could dance in them. Not much of a fashion sense... :roll:

What's bad is that there are about 5-6 of us guys who all have bought the same shirt from Jim Hadley's "Experience" store. Oops!

18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I think guys look so cool in hats. I've seen a few guys here wear hats at clubs/parties(and some ladies, too!). I'm wondering why they wouldn't allow them at clubs?

19. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Because some people try to sneak the answers--oh, wait, that's about students and final exams--sorry... back to your regularly scheduled discussions...

20. tj

tj New Member

Because they look cooler than the Bouncer... :wink: