Salsa > Dress codes at your salsa clubs?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by salsachinita, May 27, 2004.

1. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

Hi all !

First post on this forum, seems like a nice enough spot to be chating about salsa :wink:

This particular topic made me stop and think. Well actually, I started thinjing about that topic a few weeks back, in L.A. as I was atending the West Coast Congress.

The club(s) I go to in Paris do not have a dress code (provided of course it is not a them party like "black & white" or "white tuesday" or "Red birthday")

Since I like the look and feel of a wide leged pair of pants, and the only kind I have with such legs is Baggy Jeans, I usualy were those.

Since It is hot in those clubs, and I work in a suit, I do not get to were my T-shirts that often, so I were those to go dancing as well.

Sure enough, I got to buy dance shoes (after a while, you get cocky and believe you actually know how to dance well enough to justify you wearing dance shoes) and went for the dance sneakers (black)

So all in all, I think I pretty much qualify for the "streetwear" type.

I have been realy dancing for a litle over a year now, and I believe I can say I got to be a litle over average dancer (sufice to say I sometimes get compliments at the end of the dance, and will probably dare inviting allmost any dancer/performer now, without the fear of boring her to death in just one dance). So in the clubs I usualy go to, I am not familiar anymore with the word "no thanks" when I ask a girl to dance.

Arrival in L.A. (my first congress ever outside of France) I got very puzzled by the fact that almost every one was dressing up....
    Not that I regret that, don't get me wrong, I'll chose the dancer in the sexy dress over the one in the baggys any night of the year. But I'm not used to it. And I didn't really fit in, what with the streetwear look and all...

Still, I did have a very good time, got to dance with a lot of diffrent dancers from difrent countries... But I got more "no" than I'm used to.

Oh well, whatever, there is a lot of evenings left (I got there on monday)

But I really got the meaning of "dressing up is important" on the first night in salsaland. I did get a lot mort "no" than I usually get (probably my record number in the last 6 months or so...) and a friend of mine who is a
    good dancer also got 3 "no" in a row...

As we were driving back to the hotel with one of the DJs who I am friends with, we talked about it.
    She said to me :

"well of course you'll get blown off. You're not dressed for the job ! I was looking at you from the DJ spot, and believe me, you were looking good, and far from seeming misplaced amongst the other dancers (that was the other part troubling me during the week. I can not think of me as anything more than an OK average dancer, and as such feel a litle misplaced in such a magic place as Salsaland...) EXCEPT for the way you dress.
    This is not something new, I wanted to tell you this back in Paris already, you really should dress up a litle (at least stick with black jeans and a shirt, you'll look a lot better...) but here, it is all the more important."

The next evening, I did as advised. Black from top to bottom, including a nice enough shirt. (though not to fancy, as it seemed to me over the evenings that the crazyer your shirt was, the better dancer you were supposed to be)

And sure enough, I got a lot less "no" than the previous day (well... 3 over the entire evening... seems like an OK night to me. Especially since one of the "no" came from Grisell Ponse who promised a dance for the next evening :oops: )

The best part is what happened to my friend.

He also came in a shirt that evening, but he kept it open (don't frown like that girls, he was wearing a tank top under it, no hairs showing ;) )
    He got 2 "no" in a row, came to me and said :
    "well, the shirt thing does not seem to cut it for me, I just got 2 "no" in a row... guess I'm not good enough in here or they do not like my face or something"

I looked at him and said : "let's try it with the shirt buttoned down"

He closed his shirt. 20 seconds later (and I do mean 20 actual seconds, I'm not just saying that) a girl tapped on his shoulder asking him to dance :!:

Now I am puzzled by that story.

Does it happen like that all over the USA ?
    Only in LA ?
    Only in a congress ?
    Only this conress ?
    Only in very high end clubs ?
    How about the rest of the world ?
    Who shot JFK ? (oups, sorry, got carried away with the questions :? )

OK, I'll stop writing now, don't want to bore the readers on my very first post...

Oh well ! Read you all soon :D

2. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Hi, Lita_rulez!

I want to be the first to welcome you :wink: !

My experience in L.A. was not all that fantastic....but that was back in '99. So I don't really have the latest feedback.

However, you will fit right in here 8) ! These days it's almost not cool to be over dressed........not that my local salseras really judge you by the way you dress anyway.

:wink: Pay us a visit any time soon...?

3. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Welcome welcome welcome!!

Now I am puzzled by that story.
    Where I'm from (NY City) you can usually tell when a person can dance by what they are wearing. Advance dancers follow that. However, there are a lot of T-shirt/jeans kind of dancers who are just as advance as the fellows dressed up who don't care about wear.

The congress here in NY City (only one I've been to), was a big social. It seemed that only a few people cared to look presentable, however, it was hot as heck, so I don't blame them for wearing T-shirts and the like. A lot of people showed up dressed elegant as well. Which was nice to see amongt the streetwear dancers.
    High End clubs in Manhattan (NY City) all require dress codes, if you don't dress per their dress code. You won't get it!

Who shot JFK ? (oups, sorry, got carried away with the questions )

I don't know, but I've been wondering who killed Hector Lavoe...

4. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

Well, if you look anything like the picture next to your name, I could hardly have gotten a better welcome had I benn writing the script myself.
    And if you don't... well you're still going to be my best loved girl in here for being so nice !

(and hell, I still got the best looking pic to say "hey" ;) )

Well, if they judge you by the looks, I'm not really better off... At least I could dress up. Face up is going to be a hell of a bigger challenge :?

Believe me, I wish I could, but I'm going to the congress in Cannes (in france) the first week end of jully, and after that, well.. I'm broke !
    So no Australia for me before a while.

(btw, if the girls down there judge you by the size of your wallet, I do stand a chance. As long as they don't mind if it's filled with invoices rather than money :roll: )

5. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Welcome, Lita_rulez!
    It's great to see someone from Paris here. I truly hope you will stay around.
    Thanks,
    David

6. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

So let me put it the way I understand it :

basically, if you're a very good dancer and look like you just got out of a Hip Hop congress, you'll still get to dance a lot...
    Provided the girls in there do know you for a good salsa dancer, because a stranger seen for the first time is going to be judged by the way he dresses.

Sounds about right ?

Well... The LA congress was a dream of mine since my first congress (Cannes in france, Last year... and I was just a wide-eyed-new-born to the salsa world) and many people were talking about how LA was a huge congress, probably the best they had ever seen, and so on and so on.

However, I met one of my favourit dancer (and performer... did I mention she is a wonderfull dancer ? OK, back to the thread, sorry ;) ) in L.A. and she said I should really try and come to the NYC congress, for it is something absolutely wonderfull as well.

So if I can get my finances up and about again, hopefully, I can come by in Novembre and check out what "elegant dressers" look like in NYC ;)

Yep... even heard I should probably trade in my jazz-sneakers for a pair of good looking dance shoes if I didn't want to spend my evenings staring at closed doors...

But hey, I'm only begining to break on 2, so maybe I won't be ready to come to NYC even if my finances look healthy by novembre !

7. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

Site Admin ???

OK, where the hell is that "bow-down" smiley... what a crapy computer, you can never get what you want when you're in a hurry and need a specific sm...

huh ?

:shock:

Oh, you're here allready ?

:oops:

Sorry, thought I was by myself...

:?

Well, thanks for the welcome !

From what I've seen so far, I do believe I'm going to hang around, people seem very friendly and many threads I feel like contributing to.

Best wishes to this site anyways !

P.S.
    I know I do put a lot of jokes and off-topic comments in my posts, as I just did at the begining of this one, hope it's OK with the forum's "ethics" ?

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

LOL... you mean vs. actually stay on topic??? :shock:

While some semblance of order is always welcome I honestly don't know what most DFites would do if silliness was agianst DF ethics. Collective apoplexy perhaps? :lol:

P.S. Welcome to the DF! :D

P.P.S. Was this :notworth: the one you were looking for?
    (Hint: click on View more Emoticons. :wink: )

9. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

Well I'm definitly going to stay around then... My kinda place [​IMG]

[​IMG] Sir, Thank you, Sir !

well... That's more like it : [​IMG] but thanks ;)

10. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

We dance on 1 here :p !!!!!! If your finance looks healthy our congress in Sydney is this coming January, followed by Bacardi Festival (FREE outdoor event)! What's more, it will be summer then :wink: !

P.S. Just t give you more incentive, have you been to the Photo Album and check out my local salseras yet......?

11. salsalawyer

salsalawyer New Member

here in LA, we are laid back.

People to go dress casual, some clubs like Stevens and Monte Cristo allow designer jeans!

The larger clubs like the Mayan don`t allow jeans for salsa nights. Unfortunately, it gets so hot in clubs that it just isn`t comfortable to wear a suit or dress up!! :x

12. tj

tj New Member

Actually, the Mayan let me in with jeans about a month ago (during the competition finals). They were turning away people wearing khakis as well as a woman wearing loose, baggy jeans. In general, people were dressed pretty nicely.

Hey, are you the same one who got all the heat over on that other forum? Welcome, btw.

13. salsalawyer

salsalawyer New Member

yep, that would be me!! I`m causing trouble as usual!!

howdy!! :D

14. Pacion

Pacion New Member

15. San

San New Member

(I think I'll be safe posting in here as yet another European :lol: )

Over here there are no real dress codes. Sure, on most flyers it's said 'Dress to impress' or 'no jeans or sportswear', but I haven't heard of people being refused because of what they're wearing.

It's appreciated though if you dress up nicely.

I sure like to!

16. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Welcome to DF San!!! :banana:

17. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Oh yes! You will be safe. It is the politicians who don't like each other :wink:

18. San

San New Member

Thx Boriken!

And thx Pacion, for reassuring me ;)

19. salsalawyer

salsalawyer New Member

Welcome, SAn!!

20. tj

tj New Member

Welcome to DF!

One note: I find it admirable that you decided to help your friend who got into all the trouble at the LA Congress, especially considering all the heat you took for taking that stance.

(and that's all that I plan on saying about it!)