Tango Argentino > dress too sexy for tango?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by aaah, Jan 13, 2016.

1. aaah

aaah Member

Hi I purchased a sexy dress for my gf to wear at dances. see https://www.lulus.com/products/stem-spells-black-racerback-maxi-dress/89846.html

it fits her perfect as she is model hgt 5 9 and slender and young looking attractive 40's . But she is undecided thinks it is too revealing and would look like she is "trying too hard to be sexy, too young for her etc

Her opinion is she would hardly wear it and its only good for occasional free style club dancing and not social dances.

what is your opinion I think she looks great in it and it flows nicely when she moves. And looks trendy and elegant of course sexy.

Is it not classy. and would it be suitable for tango or other social dance like salsa

I attached pics and link of models wearing the dress

too sexy for tango?

2. chipi3

chipi3 New Member

I love the dress!

I noticed when I was in Buenos Aires how cute female tango dancers are dressed to be in milongas. Short and tight skirts are everywhere and that seems to be the norm for women of all ages.

In contrast, the tango community in my home country (I live on the west coast) is older and people dress up more conservatively and more casually for milongas. I guess it depends on the crowd (how they dress, find what kinds of dress code acceptable) and the individual (whether one would feel comfortable to stand out by dressing up, or to dress in a particular way, etc).

3. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

4. Grateful

Grateful New Member

I think it's perfect as long as she doesn't step on it. Personally, when I dress to be sexy, I try to make 1 part sexy (in this case the high slits n the skirt part of the dress) & the other part more modest (the higher neckline). This way it's just right, sexy but not slutty. It's still classy.

Mladenac likes this.
  5. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Can't tell.
    When I clicked the link, before I could take a look at the dress a pop-pup appeared with a commecial. I AdBlocked it and now I cant's see the dress either.

Let's flip a coin. Heads. Ok, the dress is too sexy.

6. aaah

aaah Member

[​IMG]you can see the dress here

MaggieMoves likes this.
  7. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

She definitely won't be sitting long.

8. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I love it, and feel that with dark tights and the right accessories it wouldn't be too young... but it's her body. She needs to feel comfortable in whatever she's wearing to be able to relax and enjoy the experience. I wouldn't force the issue.

Mladenac likes this.
  9. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

This, for sure, whether it's a tango event or any other event.

10. Juniper Ivy

Juniper Ivy Member

It is very striking. I agree with koinzell that it is too long. I tried to wear a dress about that length once to dance in and my heel kept getting caught in the hemline. I also think the slits are kind of high. It looks more appropriate to perform in, but for me personally I would not feel comfortable wearing that dress to my local milonga. I often alter my clothes for dancing. I would shorten it and probably sew the slits to make them less revealing.

Where I am people dress more conservatively for tango. And I would be unwilling to be the only woman in a sexy revealing dress at a milonga. I would not choose to do it because it would alienate me from the other women in the room and it just wouldn't be worth it.

If I was in a place where every woman dressed sexy, then I might leave the slits as they are.

Lois Donnay likes this.
  11. Juniper Ivy

Juniper Ivy Member

If I was your girlfriend, I would wear it on a romantic date with you that maybe included some dancing. But probably not to a milonga with our whole local tango community.

Mladenac likes this.
  12. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

The dress is fine. About it being too long, usually it is not the length per se that is a main concern, but rather how the material hangs and moves, and whether it gets in the way of dancing or not. Some fabrics do, others do not.

13. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

No.
    Just my point of view. A dress is not sexy. A woman is. If she is, she will be sexy even if she is wearing a burlap sack.

In my area the dress is not more revealing than others I've seen in milongas, and is less revealing than some that I've seen on the salsa scene. I agree that it looks classy.

14. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

For me it's to long, and the woman cannot walk in high heels. ;)

This lady is quite tall, and "the cut" is more suitable for festivals/marathon.
    For local milonga I would consider it as overdressing.

15. aaah

aaah Member

Good replies thank you. I showed her some and she does think it looks great. being tall the dress does not hang on the ground for her. we will see the response if she wears it to a no-so local milonga.

Tango is a blessing in that it is one of the few places a woman or man who likes to dress up -- can do it !

Juniper Ivy likes this.
  16. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Why not all?

raindance likes this.
  17. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I really like it, but I agree with others in that it is a bit long. She'll constantly be using her hand to swipe it out of the way.

18. Lois Donnay

Lois Donnay Member

She knows best. If she is uncomfortable wearing it, why would you push it? Maybe she doesn't want that kind of attention.

19. Juniper Ivy

Juniper Ivy Member

I agree and that is one thing I really like about dancing too. It reminds me how once I was in a store and a woman next to me was looking longingly at a pink tulle gown and she said to me, "Isn't this the most beautiful dress! But where would you wear it?" And I thought, "This lady needs to start dancing!" I didn't say that to her, but maybe I should have.

Mladenac likes this.
  20. Juniper Ivy

Juniper Ivy Member

Leggings under the dress would make it more comfortable and modest, but still preserve the style.