General Dance Discussion > Dressed For Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

We've had discussions like this before, but for the ladies when you are social dancing how do you like for leaders to be dressed?

Men, how do you like for the followers to be dressed?

I'm not that particular myself.

2. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I get a little peeved when a dance party explicitly states that it is semi-formal or "dress to impress" and people show up in t-shirts and jeans. Other than that, if it's just a generic dance social, I don't care what people wear as long as it's clean and doesn't smell bad ;) However, it is more impressive when a person puts a little bit of time into their clothing and appearance, but I also understand not everyone has that kind of time and just want to get out and DANCE :)

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

As I've mentioned in prior threads I myself dress up a little for ballroom dances, but casual for swing. This in my experience anyway is the atmosphere.

4. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I've noticed that the girls dress up more than the guys do at our studio, but really no one cares either way. It's just a fun way for us women to wear our sparkly and sexy outfits is what I always say!

5. ssjss

ssjss New Member

Depends on the venue. For a AT I perfer Elegant, Clean, Sharp , and Classic. For Ballroom I really dodn't care that much as long as the dodn't smell I'm good.

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

REally depends on what sort of social dance..what crowd...if it is for a special event.. etc etc...

7. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

A comfortable button-down shortsleeved shirt and khakis or blhakis for guys. Yes, it's entirely common for women to be "over the top" while the guys are "just comfortable", Lol.

8. hello

hello New Member

One of my pet peeves is lack of style, seems like lack of culture, lack of self esteem. Style is a reflection of ourselves. Something to have fun with creatively. Style does not require lots of money or time, just a little thought, and knowing yourself well. Knowing what you look good in, and what you don't. Being original, being yourself. It's not what you wear, but how you wear it, coordinate it, express it. I'm fascinated who people wear the newest trend, and they look so out of place. I admire someone more who can wear something dated, but pull it off with mixing in something current, trendy, quirky, individual. To me, it is not superficial to care what you look like, it's a visual statement of how you feel about yourself on the inside. So, take a second before you go to the grocery store in stained sweats. Is that the image you want to portray to yourself and others? I'm also against the other extreme, people who must look absolutely flawless to go to the mailbox. That's called insecurity. The more natural and confident people are, the better they look without even trying. With that said, I don't care what people wear, they just need to dance good. And good dancers usually dress well too, it's the whole package. But more than not, are posers who dress really nice but can't dance. Beware!

silver likes this.
  9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

WOW.....I have never nver ever thought about how the guy is dressed...:rolleyes: ...note to self about never giving a guy crap for not noticing what I am wearing....anyhow, I will notice if he looks or SMELLS particularly good....anyhow, in general I like to see/feel a guy in either a crisp cotton shirt or a silky tee...I dont care for the golf shirt and am not into the whole tropical island thing on a shirt.....other than that....not sure I care...its the body underneath ya know....

10. fascination

I positively can't stand it when a woman my age tries to do a very bad impression of what a 20 year old would wear...i am no conservatiove dresser but I try to be realistic about what is gonna fly on a 40 year old

11. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

For an ordinary social, I'm not at all particular about what a follower wears, as long as it's clean. Skirts, dresses, or pants, it's all good. :raisebro: I appreciate women who go to the effort to dress up, but I also know that it's not always possible. Some younger women can't afford really fancy clothes, and one of my favorite follows is working two jobs and she usually has to come over directly from work. The one thing I will say I don't like on a follower is a skirt that's tight on the legs. Not because it doesn't look good, but because it makes it difficult to do smooth when I can't get my leg in. :shock:

I usually wear a pair of khakis or work-dress pants (microfiber, or wool in the winter). I'll have to admit that I do like to wear the polo shirts to group classes and lessons, but for Friday night, I'll go with something a bit sexier like a silk tee. I have to stay with dark colors because I sweat. :rolleyes: I never wear jeans to a dance myself; that's just my rule. And some time ago, my instructor convinced me not to wear a watch to a dance. So the only jewelry I wear is my wedding band.

For a more dressy event, I'll either put on a shirt and tie, or a tux shirt with a vest and a bow tie. To wear with the tux shirt, some time ago I bought a pair of pants that have side pockets with the opening cut straight across, such then when the opening of the pocket lays flat on the pants, it doesn't look like there is a pocket there. Then I took them to a tailor and had them sew the pockets shut. So now they look like tux pants, at a fraction of the cost. :cool: I have a pair of dress shoes that are decent for dancing in, or I might take a pair of dance shoes to change into after dinner. Of course, if it's at a comp, I'm probably already wearing dance shoes.

12. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Haha! Sorry, but my mind must have been in the gutter when I read that, because that sentence came out differently than what you had tried to say in my mind lol! ;)

13. cornutt

I knew that was going to happen... So see there, it isn't just me! :D

14. fascination

well cornutt...ahem...in all seriousness...I 'd just hike the skirt a bit for ya....lol

15. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I prefer to wear latin-type skirts or pants, so that I can move freely.

16. alemana

alemana New Member

one thing i love about the salsa scene in new york is that it really ranges in terms of formality level. the sunday socials are very dress-down, typically - it's dress-to-sweat and many folks go through several changes of clothes. jeans and on-2 t-shirts are absolutely de rigeur. and then you'll still see women, including me, in skirts and even dresses for no apparent reason. (actually in my case the reasons are: (1) aesthetic preference and (2) ventilation. also arguably (3) my legs deserve to be seen. )

there are some newer events that are in unfancy but hip boites. it's fun to go to them and show off, pardon my honesty, in front of the nondancing trendoids who sort of can't believe their eyes when we all start busting a move. i don't wear my 'salsa social' clothes to these - i take it up a notch, sort of rocking a downtown vibe.

then there are other events that are more formal, and folks break out their nicer clothes. that's fun too, because salsa attracts such a wide variety of people that the sheer palette on the dancefloor at any given moment is a wonder to behold. all skin colors, all kinds of wardrobe, all kinds of hair, pantyhose, bare legs, gold chains, tattoos, body shimmer, huge picked-out afros and unraveling ponytails and doorknocker earrings and big diamond studs and dozens of shaved heads and sweat, sweat, sweat... it's beautiful.

17. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I wear short skirts mainly for your reason #3.

18. cornutt

That'll work! Allow me to lead you through a nice tango, with lots of cortes... :raisebro:

19. fascination

:car: heading south posthaste

20. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

Can I take you up on this when I get back to Nashville for school in the fall?;)