General Dance Discussion > Dressed For Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Jun 5, 2006.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Lol! Ok, I have to say that the panties that I wear for dance do not look like that!!! I mean that they are nude dance panties, but they don't look like that. That's different than what I'm talking about. That's hilarious, and it is a bit gross. Ewe! No wonder you all were in such a fuss about what I had said. Ewe! ;)

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Cheerleader pants (aka dance trunks or dance briefs) work very nicely, IMO. I've seen them in a squarish, "boy" cut and French cut, and, if I'm not mistaken, a regular full cut brief. And they come in every color of the rainbow (including "nude," if that's your preference,) although, if you want a color that's off the beaten track, you may have mail order them.

Regular panties cover the same territory but don't hold up as well, IMO, probably because they're not designed for dance. Kinda like pantyhose from the department store versus from the dance store. They cover the same ground, but don't really do the same thing. Just my $0.02.

Dance trunks are made of nice, sturdy, breathable cotton fabric. And definitely worth the $20 - $25 investment. :cool:

3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I did recently buy a pair of the lower cut dance briefs because I have a skirt that sits below the belly button and didn't want to look like a complete freakazoid with the panty hanging out above that (although by the looks of teen fashion these days, I'd actually be *in*, wouldn't I??? ugh!)

4. elation

elation New Member

Whether I am in class or on stage, I dress to impress. It is important to look good. I feel I gain respect by dressing the part. If you look good, you dance better.

5. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

There was a girl that danced on So You Can Dance tonight with a green outfit and white dance panties. I thought that was a bad combination, because when she did her kicks, all you saw were the white panties. I kept thinking that black would have been better or even green for that matter. Did anyone else see that? What do you think? Should you wear light colors with dark costumes (not speaking of nude I mean like white etc.)? That just didn't look right to me I think because they took away from her dancing. And to me I would rather that you focus on me rather than my outfit even though I would love for compliments when it comes to my costumes. ;)

6. pygmalion

I prefer dance pants that are same color (same shade if possible) as my skirt. That way, everything blends together and my dance "undies" don't draw the eye any more than necessary.

Although I could see where, in some cases, choosing dance pants in a contrasting color might work. For example -- a red and black outfit with black dance pants.

I can't see where just choosing white or black is necessarily a good option. I think it depends. :cool:

7. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

That's true. Someone may have an all black costume or what have you. So, yeah... I can see what you are saying! ;)

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Only if it was a fluorescent green thong. :rolleyes:

9. cornutt

I saw that, and I have to admit I was surprised. Of the women who wear dance pants around our studio, they nearly always wear the same color as their outfit. There were places where the white did look good; I recall one particular move where she was on the floor with her backside showing, and it looked great there. :raisebro: But when she did a develope or similar, it drew the eye away from her legs. She did her poses, but then there was this patch of white peeking out, and it distracted from the shape she was creating.

10. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Good! I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that noticed that (not that I really wanted to notice in the first place lol). Someone should really check their costumes before they do their solos. The two other girls kept trying to keep their dress up, so they wouldn't fall out. And that Ivan guy is just annoying! I hate the way that he dresses! James and Stas dressed (and danced) so much better! ;)

11. pygmalion

There are a couple good thread (yikes. Now i['m going to have to brave the search function) that talk about costuming -- things like using toupee tape to keep dresses in place and such.

They're definitely worth a read, IMO, if you're interested in performing or competing. Lots of good tips from people who've been there.

12. cornutt

It was pretty hard not to; if it had had "LOOK AT ME" written all over it, it wouldn't have been any more obvious. And maybe that was the point: just something to startle the judges and get their attention. Although her dancing was way too good to have to resort to cheap gimmicks.

13. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

I've found 1 problem w/ using toupee tape.... I use it to hold my gloves up. I use gloves in both smooth/standard and in latin/rhythm, but my smooth/standard ones are a few inches longer. The problem is that taking the tape off my arm takes the tan off that spot as well. This is an issue when I'm dancing smooth/standard before latin/rhythm, since the white rectangles from the tape are very visible. Does anyone have any suggestions on something that has the same effect w/out ruining the tan? or some way to fix the spot between events?

some people have suggested elastic bands, but those would create a "roll" on the arm and that wouldn't be anymore attractive than the white spot.

14. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

See, I didn't care for any of the girls. The only two that weren't annoying to me were Stas and James. I know I've said that before, but I just wasn't impressed with the rest of them.

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I would suggest putting in some kind of rubberized surfacing on the inside of the top part of the gloves. I dunno, stitching or gluing some rubber balloon material or something? Maybe you can get spray-on rubber? If it works for thigh-highs...

16. mamboqueen

Here's the *bottom* line (pun intended) - you shouldn't notice the color of the dance panty. It should not be something that even registers in your head as you're looking at someone. So, in my book, the panty should be the same color as the skirt.

17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

ditto..if at all possible

18. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

But what if you can't seriously find the same color? That's the problem that I had for my first show. Now greens and blacks and other basic colors are pretty easy to find, but off colors aren't. And I know that black would have looked horrible with my dress. ;)

19. mamboqueen

Well, you can always dye it. I suppose it depends on the circumstance, too, and how important it is in your "book." If I were social dancing, I probably wouldn't be too concerned about a match...if it was a performance or competition, I'd probably do my best to match it. But, that's me....

20. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

It doesn't really work that well for thigh-highs. It kind of works, but we ladies always spend the day hiking them up unless worn with a garter belt.

If the rubberized surfacing doesn't work and you end up stuck with the white spots, try filling them in with some bronzer. It works like a charm on normal tan lines. Make sure to put powder over the bronzer also to help prevent it from sweating off.